Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - fleas

Apologies for the ot post, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor has
identified them as fleas.

He thinks we need to clean more, my wive cleans very thoroughly. I reckon
there is some beast flea laying eggs rf what haves yous.

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits. Its an unbearable itch! from the bites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:00:12 +0100, Pete wrote:

Apologies for the ot post, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor has
identified them as fleas.

He thinks we need to clean more, my wive cleans very thoroughly. I reckon
there is some beast flea laying eggs rf what haves yous.

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits. Its an unbearable itch! from the bites.

We had this problem when we first moved into our present home. We put it
down to the previous woman encouraging semi feral cats as well as her own
two or three and a dog. Oh, and my missus had her leg in plaster and got
some bites inside the plaster......

In the end, we called Environmantal Health at the local council. They sent
a guy who visited two or three times and sprayed some insecticide in each
room.

Where you live can have a bearing as well, especially if you're near open
fields.. They may not be fleas but harvest mites, and yes I know it's not
harvest but they're active all through summer. We've had a couple of years
when they've played up. Just need to keep any animals treated and get some
carpet flea powder.

--
The Wanderer

Everyone brings happiness.
Some as they arrive, others as they leave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 6:00*pm, "Pete" wrote:
Apologies for the ot post, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor has
identified them as fleas.

He thinks we need to clean more, my wive cleans very thoroughly. I reckon
there is some beast flea laying eggs rf what haves yous.

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits. Its an unbearable itch! from the bites.

Vets can usually provide appropriate sprays. One for the infested
animals and one to treat carpets and furnishings to kill the eggs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete" wrote in message
Apologies for the ot post, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor
has identified them as fleas.

He thinks we need to clean more, my wive cleans very thoroughly. I reckon
there is some beast flea laying eggs rf what haves yous.

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits. Its an unbearable itch! from the bites.

Local council is cheapest way to treat the house. Sounds like you have a
population explosion. If there are no pets to feed them they will turn to
people.

You didn't say if you have pets. IME cat fleas are more likely to bite
people (or at least, cause noticeable bites) than dog fleas. But for either
animal, treat with Frontline and that will (eventually) clear the house as
well as keeping the pets clear. Slightly cheaper at Crufts or on the web
than standard vet / pet shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Pete"
wrote:

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor has
identified them as fleas.

He thinks we need to clean more....

What a crap opinion! I hope he knows more about medicine than he does
about household pests! You needed a pet shop, not a doctor!

We once came back from holiday (I shudder at this thought even now), and
the house was infested. I had my white running socks on, and no shoes,
and we could count the *******s crawling up my socks!

Cause: Our, and next door's, cat had got fleas earlier in the year. They
(the fleas) had left eggs and larvae around all over. When they hatched,
there were no cats around to jump on to (both in catteries), so they
jumped on the first warmblooded creatures to appear: us.

Solution: sprays as described in the previous posts in this thread: they
really did work (and were applied with an enthusiasm born of sheer
terror).

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pete wrote:
Apologies for the ot post, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor has
identified them as fleas.

He thinks we need to clean more, my wive cleans very thoroughly. I reckon
there is some beast flea laying eggs rf what haves yous.

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits. Its an unbearable itch! from the bites.

Contact the Channel 4 people, they'll probably do it for free provided
you appear on that new down-dumbed Sarah Beeney property programme ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 6:00*pm, "Pete" wrote:
Apologies for the ot post, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor has
identified them as fleas.

He thinks we need to clean more, my wive cleans very thoroughly. I reckon
there is some beast flea laying eggs rf what haves yous.

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits. Its an unbearable itch! from the bites.

If you can get one somewhere, a dichlorvos based vapona slow release
thing works wonders. But they're banned now apparently we're better
off being infested, and incapable of making such grown up decisions
ourselves.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article , "Pete"
wrote:

[...]

yep. its pretty simple.

Get the animals done first..the dab on the back of the nexk stuff works
well.

As for the house,its really simple.

You can get sprays - spray the whole room, bedding the lot. Shut door
and wait.

Anything that hatches will die. you will get small bites for up to 6
weeks - maybe more - as the bugs hatch, but they die quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes

We called Rentokil, since he could come that afternoon whereas it was some
days for the (free) council chappie. He sprayed, we never got bitten again.

Seconded:

1. Got advice on the phone to make access to every inch of the prop as
easy as possible to the worker (leading to more complete treatment).

2. Knowledgeable guy turned up sprayed every room, v thorough.

3. Same guy came back a week or 2 later to inspect and would have
re-treated if there had been a re-occurrence (there wasn't).

It was a while ago but it was less than I expected.

A few fly by night operators I called at the same time quoted 1/3-1/2
the price to treat just the 1 room that was showing the problem at the
time.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete" wrote in message
Apologies for the ot post, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Basically the whole family has been repeatedly bitten by fleas, a doctor
has identified them as fleas.

Small itchy bites in small groups usually, which don't start to itch until
many hours after being bitten.

He thinks we need to clean more, my wive cleans very thoroughly. I reckon
there is some beast flea laying eggs rf what haves yous.

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits. Its an unbearable itch! from the bites.

Do you have carpets?

You can get an idea of how widespread they are by walking through your house
wearing white socks. If you end up with several fleas on the socks (black
specs that leap off as you try and touch them) then you have a problem.

There are various products you can get to treat the house (try Wilkinsons),
but in my case they weren't completely effective (fleas introduced by cats
into fully carpeted house). I had to walk around in wellington boots at lot
of the time (otherwise I'd get up to 30 bites per foot).

In the end I sold the house, although the problem had partly diminished of
it's own accord by then (I also spent a lot of time on holiday...)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 5:00 am, "Pete" wrote:

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits.

I get a "surface spay" similar to ordinary permethrin fly spray. It
costs more but leaves the surfaces wet and lasts a week or two.
Spray the floors in the whole house. Repeat every week. It may take
three or four times to kill the newly hatched fleas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:32:03 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Apr 20, 5:00 am, "Pete" wrote:

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to
kill the gits.

I get a "surface spay" similar to ordinary permethrin fly spray. It
costs more but leaves the surfaces wet and lasts a week or two. Spray
the floors in the whole house. Repeat every week. It may take three or
four times to kill the newly hatched fleas.

Yup, permethrin flea spray works for me. Don't buy it from a vet, though,
as there is often a large mark-up.

Strangely, I've found chemistdirect.com a good source; they do cat
treatment too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 01:05:19 +0100, "BartC" wrote:

snip
(otherwise I'd get up to 30 bites per foot).

snip

That sounds like very slow broadband: have you checked the wires to
the master socket?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick Odell wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 01:05:19 +0100, "BartC" wrote:

snip
(otherwise I'd get up to 30 bites per foot).

snip

That sounds like very slow broadband: have you checked the wires to
the master socket?

HA HA HA HA HA!!! :-D vbg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 01:05:19 +0100, "BartC" wrote:

snip
(otherwise I'd get up to 30 bites per foot).

snip

That sounds like very slow broadband: have you checked the wires to
the master socket?

Odd you should say that, as I'd originally written 30 bytes per foot...

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
On Apr 20, 5:00 am, "Pete" wrote:

Any idea of a spray/power/ or one of those bomb things you can use to kill
the gits.

I get a "surface spay" similar to ordinary permethrin fly spray. It
costs more but leaves the surfaces wet and lasts a week or two.
Spray the floors in the whole house. Repeat every week. It may take
three or four times to kill the newly hatched fleas.

1 can of VetKem Acclaim will spray the whole house. Available in some
branches of Boots (£12.99), from any Vet, or online.
If you don't like pesticides, then you need to provide an alternative
source of heat and food. get an old 1 or 2 bar parabolic electric fire
at a boot sale for a couple of quid and heat the affected room with it.
The fleas will be attracted to this nice source of heat and exterminate
themselves when they jump onto the nice red-hot bar.

--
AD