Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing rust pin holes.

The steel sunroof on the ol' Rover is very rusty. New ones are NLA.
Secondhand ones very expensive - and most will be rusty too.

I have two spares. One bought recently and looked to be pretty good. But
has problems.

The construction is a pressed steel frame with a single skin across it.
Curved in two directions.

I've stripped the paint off my spares, to find both have pin holes in the
skin - and not where they are welded to the frame as in my present one.
Just a couple of holes in the middle of the skin.

What would be the best way to fix them so they have a good life? My
welding place says trying to just weld the holes is impossible.

The original was bare metal'd and filled with some expensive polyester
filler when the car was sprayed about 6 years ago - but started showing
problems after 3 or so. So I'd like something that lasts longer than that.

At one time, lead was used for body filling. How long would such a repair
last?

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 1:46*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

What would be the best way to fix them so they have a good life? My
welding place says trying to just weld the holes is impossible.

Braze them surely? Then you use a hammer and dolly to work the top
surface flat again, or more likely slightly concave, then filler or
lead to suit.

You could also gas weld them. Anyone who can't just isn't trying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The steel sunroof on the ol' Rover is very rusty. New ones are NLA.
Secondhand ones very expensive - and most will be rusty too.

What about coating it with a paint like "Tank slop" this seals rust pin
holes in fuel tanks and I have used it with good long term results.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
At one time, lead was used for body filling. How long would such a
repair
last?

Indefinitely. The surrounding bodywork will rot away first.

I did lead loading at my car restoration course, about 20 years ago ...
It's not something you can pick up straight away. There's a number of
videos on Youtube (search for "lead loading"). This isn't a bad one;

Great - I've read how it's done and am confident I can do it. I just
wanted to know what sort of life it would have.

I did sort of expect it would be ok - after tin cans etc last for a very
long time and they're soldered together.