Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Question about cycle races on satellite

I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try, despite some
research. Is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some
information, or can suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the
information on a page on my web site for others to use, provided of
course I'm not breaking any laws by so doing!

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 5:46*pm, Peter Scott wrote:
I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try, despite some
research. Is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some
information, or can suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the
information on a page on my web site for others to use, provided of
course I'm not breaking any laws by so doing!

Peter Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satelli...sion_by_region
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 5:46*pm, Peter Scott wrote:
I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try, despite some
research. Is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some
information, or can suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the
information on a page on my web site for others to use, provided of
course I'm not breaking any laws by so doing!

Peter Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...chronous_orbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communi...ite_television
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2011 18:02, harry wrote:
On Apr 18, 5:46 pm, Peter wrote:
I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try, despite some
research. Is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some
information, or can suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the
information on a page on my web site for others to use, provided of
course I'm not breaking any laws by so doing!

Peter Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satelli...sion_by_region

Thanks that's useful. It tells me what Sats are there but adding the lnb
and cabling it and then trawling through hundreds of channels would
probably not be worth it. I was hoping that someone might have
information about which television channels/services would be best to
try. Perhaps subscribers to this ng who live on continental Europe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:

I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try

If you find what channels you want, the links from here will show you
which are available on which satellite

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

19.2E and 13.0E seem popular choices in addition to the usual 28.2E,
hopefully you've got something larger than a zone1 minidish?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks on
the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live cycle
races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no idea which
satellite and channels are best to try, despite some research. Is there
anyone out there who has done it and can give me some information, or can
suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the information on a page on
my web site for others to use, provided of course I'm not breaking any laws
by so doing!

Just get yourself a BB connection and this:

http://www.cycling.tv/SportSelect.db...SPSID= 104955

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
Peter Scott wrote:

I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try

If you find what channels you want, the links from here will show you
which are available on which satellite

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

19.2E and 13.0E seem popular choices in addition to the usual 28.2E,
hopefully you've got something larger than a zone1 minidish?

Don't bother with your existing Sky dish its only cable of receiving Sky
for the others and they are there and free, get at least a 60 cm dish
and a dual LNB called a Monoblock and then try ASTRA 19 east and Hotbird
at 13 east..

French TV s on the Atlantic bird sat at 5 west a bit of a lone one its
on a separate dish for that one!.

If you can find an old analogue sat receiver they still transmit in the
clear !...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Don't bother with your existing Sky dish its only cable of receiving Sky
for the others and they are there and free, get at least a 60 cm dish
and a dual LNB called a Monoblock and then try ASTRA 19 east and Hotbird
at 13 east..

French TV s on the Atlantic bird sat at 5 west a bit of a lone one its
on a separate dish for that one!.

Rotators are quite cheap these days, and most receivers (other than
perhaps Sky ones) will control them.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2011 17:46, Peter Scott wrote:
I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try, despite some
research. Is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some
information, or can suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the
information on a page on my web site for others to use, provided of
course I'm not breaking any laws by so doing!

Peter Scott

It is the kind of thing that Eurosport on 19.2E might cover. Sadly, the
analogue signal with its English sound track won't be there for much
longer. Soon there will just be the digital version which only carries
the German soundtrack.

You might get more info from the digitalspy Non platform specific
satellite TV forum.

The www.satcure.co.uk has info on adding additional LNBs

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2011 15:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/04/2011 17:46, Peter Scott wrote:
I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks
on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live
cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no
idea which satellite and channels are best to try, despite some
research. Is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some
information, or can suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the
information on a page on my web site for others to use, provided of
course I'm not breaking any laws by so doing!

Have a go on:

uk.tech.digital-tv

Thanks for the helpful replies. Lots to mull over. I don't want a
rotator as I use a multiswitch with multiple room sockets. The dish is
85 cm. Certainly looks as though I should be able to find what I want. I
think probably one or more single lnbs aimed at the other sats with a
single downfeed from each into one room. The rest of the family does not
share my love of cycling, along with Tim Streater it seems. I have found
the German Eurosport on the satellite list but don't speak enough German
to make sense of it. Roll on babel fish!

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:

I don't want a rotator as I use a multiswitch

Wouldn't that also mean you couldn't use multiple LNBFs and a Diseqc
switch either?

The dish is 85 cm.

I think that'll be large enough!

think probably one or more single lnbs aimed at the other sats with a
single downfeed from each into one room.

OK, doing it that way won't upset the multiswitch
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1) About 30 years ago, driving from Geneva to the UK, I suddenly came up
against a Police barrier. "Tour de France", the bloke said. That cost me
a four-hour detour and I was not amused.

In England they do it differently. The roads are only closed for half an
hour or so, with a string of motor-bikes moving ahead of the bike riders
and blocking off side roads only as long as needed.

2) Every time I see the finish of a cycle race, or a cross-country ski
race, or a marathon, or the 100 metres, or a swimming competition, I
think to myself "Hang on, is this live or is it a replay of something
from last year?" Hard to tell the difference [1]. The notion that
someone shaved 0.01 sec off someone else's record time is hardly riveting.

I know what you mean. I'm more a sport doer than a watcher. Watching it
is usually b**ls-achingly dull. Apart from football that is. But I cycle
a lot and can really sympathise with the riders. I know exactly how it
feels to do what they do, though of course my performance is pathetic
compared to them. That said I also run and don't feel the same about that.

I don't really object if people want to race on bicycles, just not on a
public road near me.

See above. Once a year for 30 minutes with plenty of notice is probably
not too much of a burden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus
In article ,
Peter Scott wrote:

Thanks for the helpful replies. Lots to mull over. I don't want a
rotator as I use a multiswitch with multiple room sockets. The dish is
85 cm. Certainly looks as though I should be able to find what I want. I
think probably one or more single lnbs aimed at the other sats with a
single downfeed from each into one room. The rest of the family does not
share my love of cycling, along with Tim Streater it seems.

Two reasons:

1) About 30 years ago, driving from Geneva to the UK, I suddenly came up
against a Police barrier. "Tour de France", the bloke said. That cost me
a four-hour detour and I was not amused.

2) Every time I see the finish of a cycle race, or a cross-country ski
race, or a marathon, or the 100 metres, or a swimming competition, I
think to myself "Hang on, is this live or is it a replay of something
from last year?" Hard to tell the difference [1]. The notion that
someone shaved 0.01 sec off someone else's record time is hardly
riveting.

I don't really object if people want to race on bicycles, just not on a
public road near me.

Ah but!, your not a Frenchman, they take the olde bike race very
seriously over there;!...

[1] I can tell the difference between a swimming race and a
cross-country ski race, however.

--
Tony Sayer