Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Finally bought a Lidl weather station for £9.99 today

Following on from the thread back in December, I saw that these
weather stations were back in Lidl today, so I bought one. It has a
wireless sensor for sensing outside temperature, although I want it
for checking the temperature in the loft, near the pipes. I'll have to
wait a few months for the weather to turn cold again, though!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:43:14 +0100, MM wrote:

Following on from the thread back in December, I saw that these
weather stations were back in Lidl today, so I bought one. It has a
wireless sensor for sensing outside temperature, although I want it
for checking the temperature in the loft, near the pipes. I'll have to
wait a few months for the weather to turn cold again, though!

You're not in Britain then? Here you would only need to wait a few
days for the weather to go cold.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember MM saying
something like:

Following on from the thread back in December, I saw that these
weather stations were back in Lidl today, so I bought one. It has a
wireless sensor for sensing outside temperature, although I want it
for checking the temperature in the loft, near the pipes. I'll have to
wait a few months for the weather to turn cold again, though!

I've found the outside wireless sensor to be quite unreliable in the
cold - daft design, really. Just when you want to know the reading, the
battery and/or transmitter gives up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:43:14 +0100, MM wrote:

Following on from the thread back in December, I saw that these
weather stations were back in Lidl today, so I bought one. It has a
wireless sensor for sensing outside temperature, although I want it
for checking the temperature in the loft, near the pipes. I'll have to
wait a few months for the weather to turn cold again, though!

It works perfectly! I finally got around to setting it up this
morning, with the remote sensor in the roof space, hanging from one of
the cross-braces.

Temperature in downstairs hall (not much sun during day) is 18 deg C.
Temperature in roof space: 28 deg C, which certainly felt around right
when I went up there an hour ago.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 00:58:47 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember MM saying
something like:

Following on from the thread back in December, I saw that these
weather stations were back in Lidl today, so I bought one. It has a
wireless sensor for sensing outside temperature, although I want it
for checking the temperature in the loft, near the pipes. I'll have to
wait a few months for the weather to turn cold again, though!

I've found the outside wireless sensor to be quite unreliable in the
cold - daft design, really. Just when you want to know the reading, the
battery and/or transmitter gives up.

Well, mine will remain up in the roof space, since I really only want
to check the temperature once winter kicks in. Perhaps they don't work
so well outside with rain and snow.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember MM saying
something like:

Well, mine will remain up in the roof space, since I really only want
to check the temperature once winter kicks in.

If it's not totally freezing up there it'll probably be ok. Mine was ok
at first, but the button cell isn't up to low temps and needs
replacement quite often.

Perhaps they don't work
so well outside with rain and snow.

They're nominally weatherproof, but to be on the safe side I put mine in
a plastic box (margarine tub) to totally shield it from the direct
effects and put the box inside a tyre so it wouldn't get stood on. As I
say, it worked ok for a while but needed regular attention. The indoor
sensor/readout works fine, but hasn't shown me an outside temp for about
six months now. I really cba fiddling with it any more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:05:41 +0100, MM wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:43:14 +0100, MM wrote:

Following on from the thread back in December, I saw that these
weather stations were back in Lidl today, so I bought one. It has a
wireless sensor for sensing outside temperature, although I want it
for checking the temperature in the loft, near the pipes. I'll have to
wait a few months for the weather to turn cold again, though!

It works perfectly! I finally got around to setting it up this
morning, with the remote sensor in the roof space, hanging from one of
the cross-braces.

Temperature in downstairs hall (not much sun during day) is 18 deg C.
Temperature in roof space: 28 deg C, which certainly felt around right
when I went up there an hour ago.

MM

Final update at 05:20am this morning: Temperature in downstairs hall:
17.4 deg C, temperature in roof space: 12.3 deg C.

As a matter of interest, the remote sensor is positioned in the roof
space at a straight line distance from the main unit of roughly the
height of an average two-storey 3-bed detached. There are two ceilings
for the sensor's signal to penetrate, but no walls.

Since the thing only cost £9.99 I'm well happy!

MM