Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stripped paint; now what's this? Mould?! (pics included)

I've never stripped paint before. I'm never doing it again either. But
anyway...

I used NitroMors Paint & Varnish Remover first. Realising just how
much it would take, I used B+Q's cheapest for the next two coats. All
with just a scraper, though I attacked a few pitted sections with wire
wool. Finished off with power sander. Not bad. Wiped down (just
water). Spotted a few missed bits. Sanded a little more, wiped down
again, left for the night.

Went back in today, and there's something on some of the surfaces -
which were clean yesterday.

This is what it looks like...
http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSCF2359.jpg
....and if you rub it with your finger, it smudges it half away, making
it look like this...
http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSCF2360.jpg

What is it? Mould? Bits of wire wool? (can't feel anything).

More importantly, what can I do about it?

My plan is to put wood stain on it (Ronseal Diamond Hard floor varnish
beech satin - I know it's not a floor, but there's lots to do and it's
cheaper bought this way) but I don't want these speckles underneath.

T.I.A.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Robinson" wrote in message
[...]

It is very likely tiny bits of wire wool which have oxidised and given you
the blue stain which I think is a tannin colour. You get a blue stain from
steel (a tim can say) left on a damp kitchen worktop and it can be easily
bleached out with lemon juice left over night under plastic to keep the wood
wet and saturated. I don't know how you would do it over a larger area, but
a mild acid should work.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/u...action=view&cu....
...and if you rub it with your finger, it smudges it half away, making
it look like this...
http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/u...action=view&cu....

What is it? Mould? Bits of wire wool? (can't feel anything).

More importantly, what can I do about it?

My plan is to put wood stain on it (Ronseal Diamond Hard floor varnish
beech satin - I know it's not a floor, but there's lots to do and it's
cheaper bought this way) but I don't want these speckles underneath.

T.I.A.

It is very likely tiny bits of wire wool which have oxidised and given you
the blue stain which I think is a tannin colour. You get a blue stain from
steel (a tin can say) left on a damp kitchen worktop and it can be easily
bleached out with lemon juice left over night under plastic to keep the wood
wet and saturated. I don't know how you would do it over a larger area, but
a mild acid should work.

I think it looks more grey/black than blue, but I'll take another
look. It may be only in the areas that I attacked vigorously with wire
wool, so that would make sense.

Can I use vinegar? Or just sand it right before I treat it? Either
way, I'm worried the polish will set it off again.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 6:58*pm, David Robinson
wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:54*pm, "Tim W" wrote:

[...]

I think there's some of this mould/whatever on parts where I _didn't_
use wire wool. Can't be sure; it was late, I might just have scraped
it everywhere, but I don't think so.

Might just try the vinegar on a little bit to see what happens.

Cheers,
David.

stripped front door today, pics Mikepier Home Repair 12 May 7th 08 11:07 PM
anti mould paint benpost UK diy 2 February 16th 08 10:39 PM
Gutter problem(Pics included) [email protected] Home Repair 15 July 2nd 07 07:57 AM
Painting a stairway. What's it worth? Pics included. Lawrence Home Repair 11 February 17th 07 12:39 PM
Condensation/mould problem: what paint etc? Lobster UK diy 8 January 7th 07 07:49 PM