Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default double-glazing measurements

call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare a
quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book,
means hacking
through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true measurements

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gill Smith wrote:

call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare
a quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book,
means hacking
through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true
measurements

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Well, having fitted 3 windows...

If you need the windows a close fit to unrendered external brick, as I did,
you measure, measure and measure - at different heights and at various
points across (brickwork is seldom parallel, vertical or horizontal!).

With care you can get a 5mm +/- gap all round which seals nicely with foam
and sealant.

However, if the finish is rendered outside and plastered inside, it is less
important.

Once the frames have a few fixings and are foamed in (they will do that) you
could have an inch gap and be pretty solid.

As long as the frames are a bit bigger so they will recess into the plaster
and render, you won't tell once it is made good.

One question I would put to them though:

Will they make good the plaster/render or just slap trim all round. The
latter is the default usually unless you specify (and pay for) the extra
work to do the former.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 7:42 pm, "Gill Smith"
wrote:
call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare a
quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book,
means hacking
through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true measurements

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

nah squirty foam and plenty of cheapo sealant for the outside and nice
liitle "trim strips" of yet more pvc to "cover up" the bodge on the
inside - tape measures? who needs em? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 7:42*pm, "Gill Smith"
wrote:
call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare a
quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book,
means hacking
through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true measurements

--
*http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

I think you may be in for a rude awakening :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2011 19:42, Gill Smith wrote:
call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare a
quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book,
means hacking
through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true measurements

Can't you see the brickwork on the outside without needing to hack any
plaster off?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 14/04/2011 19:42, Gill Smith wrote:
call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare
quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book,
means hacking
through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true
measurements

Can't you see the brickwork on the outside without needing to hack any
plaster off?

unfortunately the exterior is rendered

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:57:20 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

nah squirty foam and plenty of cheapo sealant for the outside and nice
liitle "trim strips" of yet more pvc to "cover up" the bodge on the
inside - tape measures? who needs em? ;)

Tape measures - who can even find 'em? :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

nah squirty foam and plenty of cheapo sealant for the outside and nice
liitle "trim strips" of yet more pvc to "cover up" the bodge on the
inside - tape measures? who needs em? ;)

Tape measures - who can even find 'em? :-)

I finally found out what ears are for: pencils

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:31:09 +0100, Gill Smith wrote:

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in

my
book, means hacking through plaster to get down to brickwork in

order
to make true measurements

Can't you see the brickwork on the outside without needing to hack

any
plaster off?

unfortunately the exterior is rendered

They will measure to the size of the opening in the render. It opens
up a whole tin of worms if they start messing about with the
rendering or cement fillet over the brickwork of the exterior
opening. What if it all falls off when they 'it wi' 'ammer? Would you
be happy to pay for having the house re-rendered? They certainly
won't want to pay.

Remember to specify that plaster work/render is to be made good with
plaster/render not plastric trim bits stuck on over the gaps. They
may or may not foam the windows in. They may or may not seal them
properly, under cills seems to always get forgotten. They may or may
not seal the window onto a cill properly such that driven rain can
get into the wall behind the outer frame sealing.

DG fitters don't you just luv'em.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

actally, exterior re-rendering and interior re-plastering is on the agenda

so maybe I should spell this out

but I am miffed about the guy, *unprompted*, saying thata surveyor would be
along to get a true measure

when a phone call this afternoon says they have the true measure

this smells of sharp practise

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2011 22:30, Gill Smith wrote:

but I am miffed about the guy, *unprompted*, saying thata surveyor would be
along to get a true measure

Do you know what profile the frame is made of. I know what mine is and
how to measure it without getting through to the brick work.

when a phone call this afternoon says they have the true measure

this smells of sharp practise

That, to me, tells me the surveyor has recognised the window frame
profile and knows the size of the frame. It is easy to calculate from
the beading.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

Tape measures - who can even find 'em? :-)

I used the "traditional" method of finding an old one this week ...
buying a new one, therefore ensuring one of the old ones turned up
within the hour, thankfully I'd only spent 98p on the new one ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare a
quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book,
means hacking
through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true measurements

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

nah squirty foam and plenty of cheapo sealant for the outside and nice
liitle "trim strips" of yet more pvc to "cover up" the bodge on the
inside - tape measures? who needs em? ;)

Tape measure - doubt it? Next you'll ask us to beleive that they'll
install the windows level
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2011 22:30, Gill Smith wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

I don't know what you're getting worked up about. A rough measure is
good enough for a quote since the manufacturing costs are calculated to
the nearest 100 mm or whatever. Once you've accepted the quote, the
"surveyor" tales a closer look, assesses the render/plaster, and
generally discusses any potential problems. They usually know from
experience where the edge of a window frame is, even if it's partly
overlapped with render. FWIW I've never had reason to criticise DG fitters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 9:34*am, stuart noble wrote:
On 14/04/2011 22:30, Gill Smith wrote:

"Dave *wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
[...]

The problem seems to be that the surveyor is *not* taking a closer
look.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2011 10:15, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:34 am, stuart wrote:
On 14/04/2011 22:30, Gill Smith wrote:

"Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Then presumably he doesn't need to. It'll be their problem if they hit snags
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:34:34 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

I don't know what you're getting worked up about. A rough measure is
good enough for a quote since the manufacturing costs are calculated to
the nearest 100 mm or whatever. Once you've accepted the quote, the
"surveyor" tales a closer look, assesses the render/plaster, and
generally discusses any potential problems. They usually know from
experience where the edge of a window frame is, even if it's partly
overlapped with render. FWIW I've never had reason to criticise DG fitters.

The surveyor who came to me in January said that usually once he'd
measured one window he knew what the rest would be - didn't stop him
checking though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 15 Apr,
Peter Johnson wrote:

The surveyor who came to me in January said that usually once he'd
measured one window he knew what the rest would be - didn't stop him
checking though.

I tried that once, on an estate house by a large building co (with a
helicopter in the advert) All the windows were the same width, 6 feet
(imperial) The one I didn't measure (poor access) was metric width. The
replacement (timber) needed some work with a plane to make it fit. I no
longer assume anything.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Double glazing Tim Streater UK diy 4 January 23rd 10 05:54 PM
Double glazing? R D S[_2_] UK diy 11 September 4th 08 10:22 PM
Double Glazing Red Devil UK diy 4 January 2nd 08 08:25 PM
Double Glazing - not the best ... CJB UK diy 2 December 23rd 07 12:13 AM
Double Glazing [email protected] UK diy 5 November 1st 06 04:42 PM