Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for the electrical boys, please ...

We are in the process of taking some modern commercial premises, in which
the landlord is dividing down a 2k sq ft unit into two 1k sq ft units, one
of which will be ours. The electrical supply comes into the unit that will
not be ours, so the landlord is putting a new supply into our bit for us as
part of the deal. The currently installed supply is three phase, with each
phase company-fused at 100A, as far as I can see. We have approached NPower
for a meter, and one of the questions on the application form refers to the
type of meter required. The two three phase options given are "Three Phase
Whole Current" and "Three Phase CT".

I have not the slightest idea what the difference between these is, or which
it will be that we need ?? I have checked with the landlord to make sure
that it is a three phase supply that he is bringing over to our unit, and he
says that we will "need a three phase meter for a 40kVA supply" First
question then. If each phase is currently fused at 100A, does that mean that
the incoming supply is 25kVA per phase i.e. 75kVA, and that by dividing it
between the two newly created premises, that is how he arrives at 40kVA ?

Our demand will be fairly high. There will be two electrical fryers, each
that would be a demand of 36kW. There is also a ceiling mounted airco /
heater unit that I don't know the specs for . It's not very big - maybe 2 ft
square. Other than that, the demand will be moderately low - some fume
extraction which is only a few amps, a couple of small fridges and freezers,
lights (not more than 1kW) and small odds and sods for a normal ring main.
So, given the *potential* for everything being on together, does that mean
that the supply he is proposing giving us, is going to be adequate for our
needs ?

Another question on the form is "Voltage - please delete" The three options
given are 415V 11kV and 33kV. I assume that the correct answer there is 415V
as it's a three phase supply direct into the premises ?

Help please, lads ... !! d:-)

TIA

Arfa

take a break boys [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 3rd 08 06:15 AM
BOYS ASSOCIATION Dollars Home Repair 0 June 6th 06 08:43 AM
Wonder Pup, those Veritas boys do it again! Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 1 February 6th 05 05:25 AM
The Boys are back...! Lobster UK diy 1 January 26th 04 05:17 PM