Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default One for the electrical boys, please ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
We are in the process of taking some modern commercial premises, in which
the landlord is dividing down a 2k sq ft unit into two 1k sq ft units, one
of which will be ours. The electrical supply comes into the unit that will
not be ours, so the landlord is putting a new supply into our bit for us
as part of the deal. The currently installed supply is three phase, with
each phase company-fused at 100A, as far as I can see. We have approached
NPower for a meter, and one of the questions on the application form
refers to the type of meter required. The two three phase options given
are "Three Phase Whole Current" and "Three Phase CT".

I have not the slightest idea what the difference between these is, or
which it will be that we need ?? I have checked with the landlord to make
sure that it is a three phase supply that he is bringing over to our unit,
and he says that we will "need a three phase meter for a 40kVA supply"
First question then. If each phase is currently fused at 100A, does that
mean that the incoming supply is 25kVA per phase i.e. 75kVA, and that by
dividing it between the two newly created premises, that is how he arrives
at 40kVA ?

Our demand will be fairly high. There will be two electrical fryers, each
that would be a demand of 36kW. There is also a ceiling mounted airco /
heater unit that I don't know the specs for . It's not very big - maybe 2
ft square. Other than that, the demand will be moderately low - some fume
extraction which is only a few amps, a couple of small fridges and
freezers, lights (not more than 1kW) and small odds and sods for a normal
ring main. So, given the *potential* for everything being on together,
does that mean that the supply he is proposing giving us, is going to be
adequate for our needs ?

Another question on the form is "Voltage - please delete" The three
options given are 415V 11kV and 33kV. I assume that the correct answer
there is 415V as it's a three phase supply direct into the premises ?

Just a query in passing - IIUC you can get industrial machinery (such as
lathes, drills etc.) which run on 3 phase directly - which would obviously
require three phases.

If you have normal 230V kit do you have two supplies of 230V split between
the three phases when you install a 3 phase supply?

Cheers

Dave R