Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help! sink Drain plug

I have a toilet sink with one of those push drain plugs, push to close (then
push again, it pops up to drain)

It has locked in the closed position and wont pop back up.
Trying to access from drain pipe but cant loosen the plastic pipe (awkward)
Any suugestions? I tried the vacuum cleaner to try suction but not enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message
I have a toilet sink with one of those push drain plugs, push to close
(then push again, it pops up to drain)

It has locked in the closed position and wont pop back up.
Trying to access from drain pipe but cant loosen the plastic pipe
(awkward)
Any suugestions? I tried the vacuum cleaner to try suction but not enough.
something sticky?

duck tape put o so you can pull from the cetre no the edge of the tape?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 13, 12:37*pm, "SS" wrote:
I have a toilet sink with one of those push drain plugs, push to close (then
push again, it pops up to drain)

It has locked in the closed position and wont pop back up.
Trying to access from drain pipe but cant loosen the plastic pipe (awkward)
Any suugestions? I tried the vacuum cleaner to try suction but not enough..

If it's the kind that has some height adjustment by turning the
mechanism, it sometimes works to 'unscrew' the plug from the top -
just push it down slightly and turn it anti-clockwise. That will
either adjust the mechanism so that it can be popped as normal, or it
might unscrew the whole thing from its base so it can lift out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 13/04/2011 12:37, SS wrote:
I have a toilet sink with one of those push drain plugs, push to close
(then
push again, it pops up to drain)

It has locked in the closed position and wont pop back up.
Trying to access from drain pipe but cant loosen the plastic pipe
(awkward)
Any suugestions? I tried the vacuum cleaner to try suction but not
enough.

Thin knife blade?

Yes that should easily do the trick.
Then adjust the screw on the bottom of the plug.... if there is still a
screw there ..

Mr Pounder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

On 13/04/2011 12:37, SS wrote:
I have a toilet sink with one of those push drain plugs, push to close
(then
push again, it pops up to drain)

It has locked in the closed position and wont pop back up.
Trying to access from drain pipe but cant loosen the plastic pipe
(awkward)
Any suugestions? I tried the vacuum cleaner to try suction but not
enough.

Thin knife blade?

Yes that should easily do the trick.
Then adjust the screw on the bottom of the plug.... if there is still a
screw there ..

Mr Pounder

Now sorted, I coudnt get a thin blade in to prise it but a rapid tapping
with a wooden handle finally made it pop up
I have now cleaned the inner part and all is well again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Adding a sink drain to a main drain Phisherman Home Repair 3 December 11th 07 12:32 AM
Sink plug RepairNovice Home Repair 2 September 14th 07 02:13 AM
Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain and garbage disposal is rusted in place. mm Home Repair 2 August 20th 06 03:08 AM
pop up bathroom sink plug svmsbb UK diy 3 August 13th 06 11:33 PM
convert sink drain to washing machine drain? shawn Home Repair 2 May 28th 06 10:40 PM