Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Anything I should know before dismantling a large CRT telly?

On 27 Mrz., 23:07, Ian Jackson
wrote:
....Easier still, pay that
15, and leave it to the council.

Yeah, that really does now seem the best option, after reading about
all the (very frightening) warnings. I'm glad I asked first!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 27 Mrz., 23:10, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Drag it into the street and then phone the council up saying "someones
dumped a TV on the pavement"

I've already emailed the council, asking them how to dispose of a
large, heavy telly...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 08:53:43 +0100
tony sayer wrote:

Mains transformers?

Droppers, my lad.

Hooting great multi-tapped wire-wound resistors clipped to the top of the
chassis, operating in the manner of a 1-bar electric fire.

( Never Drop a Dropper: LLJ, RIP )

--
Ron

Ah! RS 'Dropper Sections' in little yellow boxes ... And a tobacco tin full
of 4BA nuts and bolts. Short ones for bolting dropper sections across an
existing dropper where it had holes in the tags, and longer ones for when
you had to bolt a section to a convenient hole in the chassis, and then wire
it. Many were the dropper sections that I fitted in the field as a yoof,
with some great big booze-soaked hairy-arsed gorilla leaning over the back
of the set to see what I was up to :-)

Blimey yer showin yer age Arfa!..

I was always taught to put a
screwdriver through a few remaining turns on the original open circuit
section of dropper, in case it should remake.

Well never knew that to happen once gone they seemed to burn themselves
out from what I remember of it....

Well, it wouldn't, would it? Not if sopmeone's gouged a chunk out of it?

(I was also taught to do the same thing.)

The whole idea of those dropper sections was that you could make up a complete
new dropper to exactly match any set - but I never knew of anybody who did so.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
On 27 Mrz., 18:39, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Do you not have neighbours or friends that could help you lift it
into the boot?

No, they're all old and doddery like me. I don't want to be held
responsible for a back injury just to save 15 quid.

£15 is a bit steep. It is only £5 for one item in my area and £10 for up to
4 items

I've seen on other council websites that the collection team will
refuse to take anything that weighs over 50kg. The Sony weighs in at
49.5kg, so I hope I won't get any hassle from South Holland.

I doubt that the guys will give a toss.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 12:55 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

Yeah, I know they *can* but it's usually a case of remembering what the
'label' is on a button that's been assigned to some obscure function like
for instance "Amp Menu" or "Sound Field" on my AV amp, or "Timers" on the
PVR, or "Aspect" on the TV.

I thought you said you were in the consumer electronics business? ;-)
The remotes you describe sound like the ones we had in the early
90's... many universal remotes nowadays have customisable LCD screens
hence there's no ambiguity about what button does what (I do
appreciate that otherwise it does more harm than good mapping
functions do obscure buttons just because there wasn't a more
meaningful button available).

I'm not really that bothered about having all
the separate remotes. It just struck me that it was amusing to have six
items 'in the stack' just to watch TV, and that they all had forty or
more
buttons on their remotes, to control the various functions ! d;~}

Sure; I only wanted to point the alternatives out in case you might
not have been aware. We used to have a whole bunch of remotes and
whilst I could cope the rest of the family weren't quite so keen and
since replacing them all with a single Harmony remote that can
intuitively control *every* function if need be I can't speak highly
enough of them! In most circumstances you only need access to a
limited set of functions across all your devices and so having those
functions spread over only a few dozen buttons immediately at your
fingertips (i.e. no scrolling through pages or other alternate-
function tricks) is a real boon.

I suppose the downside is the cost - mine was relatively cheap at ~£50
but nevertheless I consider it money well spent.

Mathew

I must admit that I have not seen this 'Harmony' remote that you speak so
highly of. Most of the remotes that I see are from a service point of view
or stock items for sale in the shops that I do work for. I will look into it
further on your glowing recommendation !

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

Coal scuttle Murphy, Regentone 10-4, Pye 11, Murphy 849 (remember the
flywheel sync diode FSX2442A ? ), all valve colour sets with PD500 shunt
stabilisers guaranteed to fry your gonads with x rays, BRC 2000's , 3000's,
3500's, 8000's with syclops, and in my opinion, the best colour set of its
day, the Rank A823 chassis. Oh happy days in gentler times ... :-)

Whilst showing my age, sad day yesterday, when Sandy Heath analogue was
taken off the air. I was there when it came on the air, when it had it's
coax blasted by lightning, when it's replacement piece caused the auto SWR
trip to periodically shut down the transmitter ... The company that I
worked for was a 'trusted' workshop by the IBA, and they installed a check
receiver at our place, to monitor the field strength on a chart recorder. It
was my job to check the tuning each morning when I got into work, by
sticking on a pair of headphones, and peaking the sync buzz.

And now it's gone ... :-(

I was always taught to put a
screwdriver through a few remaining turns on the original open circuit
section of dropper, in case it should remake.

Well never knew that to happen once gone they seemed to burn themselves
out from what I remember of it....

You sometimes saw ones with no evidence of a burn up, and I guess that they
might have failed right where the resistance wire joined the tag, so might
just conceivably 'remake' at some point in the future. I guess that was the
thinking behind it. Definitely one of those 'apprentice' things that I was
taught, and continued to pass on to others.

Arfa

--
Tony Sayer

(Didn't we both used to write for TeleMag at the same time a few years back
?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Blimey yer showin yer age Arfa!..

Coal scuttle Murphy, Regentone 10-4, Pye 11, Murphy 849 (remember the
flywheel sync diode FSX2442A ? ), all valve colour sets with PD500 shunt
stabilisers guaranteed to fry your gonads with x rays, BRC 2000's , 3000's,
3500's, 8000's with syclops, and in my opinion, the best colour set of its
day, the Rank A823 chassis. Oh happy days in gentler times ... :-)

Used to be mainly Phillips on rental but some BRC stuff plus all the
others for repair.. 405 line dual standard remember soldering over all
those system switches when we finally went all UHF in the area;!..

Whilst showing my age, sad day yesterday, when Sandy Heath analogue was
taken off the air. I was there when it came on the air, when it had it's
coax blasted by lightning, when it's replacement piece caused the auto SWR
trip to periodically shut down the transmitter ... The company that I
worked for was a 'trusted' workshop by the IBA, and they installed a check
receiver at our place, to monitor the field strength on a chart recorder. It
was my job to check the tuning each morning when I got into work, by
sticking on a pair of headphones, and peaking the sync buzz.

We used to look after the Cambridge channel 2 405 transmitter as they
couldn't monitor it back at Peterbourgh. We got the number of Sandy
heath in later years but they didn't like us tellin them there were any
faults with it!..

And now it's gone ... :-(

Remember working on the Sudbury Transmitters back around the early late
60's early 70's UHF 77 series IIRC..

Sandy was all Marconi but I believe the channel 4 was a TVT 'mitter but
I'd left there by then..

I was always taught to put a
screwdriver through a few remaining turns on the original open circuit
section of dropper, in case it should remake.

Well never knew that to happen once gone they seemed to burn themselves
out from what I remember of it....

You sometimes saw ones with no evidence of a burn up, and I guess that they
might have failed right where the resistance wire joined the tag, so might
just conceivably 'remake' at some point in the future. I guess that was the
thinking behind it. Definitely one of those 'apprentice' things that I was
taught, and continued to pass on to others.

Arfa

--
Tony Sayer

(Didn't we both used to write for TeleMag at the same time a few years back
?)

No not me..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Fri, 1 Apr 2011 02:20:58 +0100
Arfa Daily wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Blimey yer showin yer age Arfa!..

Coal scuttle Murphy, Regentone 10-4, Pye 11, Murphy 849 (remember the
flywheel sync diode FSX2442A ? ), all valve colour sets with PD500 shunt
stabilisers guaranteed to fry your gonads with x rays, BRC 2000's , 3000's,
3500's, 8000's with syclops, and in my opinion, the best colour set of its
day, the Rank A823 chassis. Oh happy days in gentler times ... :-)

Pye V4, VT4 ... Bush TV24 ... TV53/63, TV75/85/95 TV105/115/125 - was the TV125
the equivalent of your Murphy 849? The flywheel sync problem sounds familiar.

Modifying the Bush CTV25 to turn the line ouput stage into a Davey lamp? Didn't
stop it catching fire but saved the house ...

ITT/KB VC1/2/3/4/5 and, in a later life, VC100, VC200, etc.

Baird 6xx, then 700/1/2, 710, before Thorn took over ...

As you say, happy days ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Remember the RGD 627? Wedge shaped and on four screw-in legs of the
black-taper-and-gold-feet variety ? Would fall over if you just looked at it
wrong ...

There's a nice 'in the back' picture of a Murphy V849 on Google Images. The
dropper is clearly visible along the bottom. The flywheel sync diode block
that gave all the trouble with very weak line sync, was on the vertical
sub-chassis on the far right, that you can't see the back of.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Casey scribeth thus
Arfa Daily wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Blimey yer showin yer age Arfa!..

Coal scuttle Murphy, Regentone 10-4, Pye 11, Murphy 849 (remember the
flywheel sync diode FSX2442A ? ), all valve colour sets with PD500 shunt
stabilisers guaranteed to fry your gonads with x rays, BRC 2000's , 3000's,
3500's, 8000's with syclops, and in my opinion, the best colour set of its
day, the Rank A823 chassis. Oh happy days in gentler times ... :-)

Pye V4, VT4 ... Bush TV24 ... TV53/63, TV75/85/95 TV105/115/125 - was the TV125
the equivalent of your Murphy 849? The flywheel sync problem sounds familiar.

Modifying the Bush CTV25 to turn the line ouput stage into a Davey lamp? Didn't
stop it catching fire but saved the house ...

I remember a lot of LOPT's at that time used to have the plastic
insulation break down so we cut away the charred sections and replaced
them with Plastic Padding a type of body filler that was around in those
days. Then a liberal coating of Ignition sealer which made it look
almost new .. and thats what the guvnor charged them for;!...

ITT/KB VC1/2/3/4/5 and, in a later life, VC100, VC200, etc.

Baird 6xx, then 700/1/2, 710, before Thorn took over ...

As you say, happy days ...

OK ... anyone go back to servicing Baird Televisor's ;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Sat, 2 Apr 2011 11:29:26 +0100
tony sayer wrote:

I remember a lot of LOPT's at that time used to have the plastic
insulation break down so we cut away the charred sections and replaced
them with Plastic Padding a type of body filler that was around in those
days. Then a liberal coating of Ignition sealer which made it look
almost new .. and thats what the guvnor charged them for;!...

Ah! Sounds like Ekco! A transparent plastic frame that gradually decomposed -
it became slightly conductive and got burn away by the EHT.

You could by replacements made out of perspex for about five bob which made the
job much easier than patching it as you describe!

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Sat, 2 Apr 2011 11:21:32 +0100
Arfa Daily wrote:

Remember the RGD 627? Wedge shaped and on four screw-in legs of the
black-taper-and-gold-feet variety ? Would fall over if you just looked at it
wrong ...

No, but it wasn't the only one ...

There's a nice 'in the back' picture of a Murphy V849 on Google Images. The
dropper is clearly visible along the bottom. The flywheel sync diode block
that gave all the trouble with very weak line sync, was on the vertical
sub-chassis on the far right, that you can't see the back of.

Google wants to show me around 11,000 images which don't seem to be TV related
at all!

The thing I rember was grey - you could see the individual diode discs under
the paint, like a small caterpillar - and it was mounted across a pot which had
to be sdjusted correctly for the flywheel sync to work properly after you'd
replaced the diodes ...
--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mar 31, 10:36*am, MM wrote:
On 27 Mrz., 23:10, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Drag it into the street and then phone the council up saying "someones
dumped a TV on the pavement"

I've already emailed the council, asking them how to dispose of a
large, heavy telly...

MM

Final instalment in the disposal of telly saga:

First thing to note is that we get two refuse lorries on rubbish
collection day. The first comes around really early and takes away the
black bag rubbish (kitchen waste etc). The second usually comes mid-
morning to collect the recycling sacks.

I was in Spalding the other day so I simply popped in at the council
offices and arranged collection of up to three large items (£15). She
asked me when my normal refuse collection was. Tuesdays, I said. So
she arranged collection for today, 12th April, and said to place the
items at the edge of the propery by 7:00am, which I did (TV and a
computer monitor). I placed them next to the recycling sack containing
newspapers, tin cans etc.

So, just now, the first lorry turned up and took the telly and the
monitor! I couldn't believe it. They just hefted them into the back
along with all the black bags. So much for recycling!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:22:23 -0700 (PDT), MM wrote:

On Mar 31, 10:36*am, MM wrote:
On 27 Mrz., 23:10, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

[...]

And WEEE - not only a waste of materials but also toxins going to landfill.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:22:23 -0700 (PDT), MM wrote:

So, just now, the first lorry turned up and took the telly and the
monitor! I couldn't believe it. They just hefted them into the back
along with all the black bags. So much for recycling!

Ring your council and complain and ask for your £15 back(*). Those
items should not have been collected by the landfill truck, though I
doubt that the recyling one, if it's anything like the one that comes
round here could cope with a TV/monitor either. Ours are divided up
for paper, glass and tins, no facilty to take "bulky items".

(*) I doubt you'll get it but I fail to see the justification for the
charge if it the items just go in the normal landfill collection. Do
the collectors *really* leave stuff if they haven't been told the fee
has been paid?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 12 Apr 2011 09:39:37 GMT, Huge wrote:

And you were ripped off £15 to boot.

Well, I don't know about that, since it's a lot more expensive with
some other councils, Surrey for example (£20.47) or Norfolk (£20).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 27, 3:29*pm, MM wrote:
It's a Sony 28" CRT and far too heavy for me to lift. It needs to go
down to the tip. Is there any safety impact that I should be aware of
before dismantling it? It has been switched off for two weeks, so any
capacitors should have discharged by now. I need to take it to the tip
in bits so that I can manhandle them.

Also, a question: Why are these large old tellies SO heavy? What is
the heavy bit? A huge magnet? The glass tube?

In the old days, there are two nice ring magnets inside, these used to
be quite fun to play with. But maybe later designs got round the need
for them. they were used for focussing the electron beam and are
around the neck of the glass tube at the back.

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:59:20 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:22:23 -0700 (PDT), MM wrote:

So, just now, the first lorry turned up and took the telly and the
monitor! I couldn't believe it. They just hefted them into the back
along with all the black bags. So much for recycling!

Ring your council and complain and ask for your £15 back(*). Those
items should not have been collected by the landfill truck, though I
doubt that the recyling one, if it's anything like the one that comes
round here could cope with a TV/monitor either. Ours are divided up
for paper, glass and tins, no facilty to take "bulky items".

(*) I doubt you'll get it but I fail to see the justification for the
charge if it the items just go in the normal landfill collection. Do
the collectors *really* leave stuff if they haven't been told the fee
has been paid?

I don't think contacting the council would help, but you did give me
the idea to contact the local newspaper, so I have just written a
letter for the letters page and emailed it off!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 2011-04-12, MM wrote:
On 12 Apr 2011 09:39:37 GMT, Huge wrote:

And you were ripped off £15 to boot.

Well, I don't know about that, since it's a lot more expensive with
some other councils, Surrey for example (£20.47) or Norfolk (£20).

Just because he was ripped off less doesn't stop it being a ripoff. You
already pay for refuse disposal, why should you have to pay for it again?

Yeah, well, that's the $64,000 question, ain't it!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 02:57:16 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

On Mar 27, 3:29*pm, MM wrote:
It's a Sony 28" CRT and far too heavy for me to lift. It needs to go
down to the tip. Is there any safety impact that I should be aware of
before dismantling it? It has been switched off for two weeks, so any
capacitors should have discharged by now. I need to take it to the tip
in bits so that I can manhandle them.

Also, a question: Why are these large old tellies SO heavy? What is
the heavy bit? A huge magnet? The glass tube?

In the old days, there are two nice ring magnets inside, these used to
be quite fun to play with. But maybe later designs got round the need
for them. they were used for focussing the electron beam and are
around the neck of the glass tube at the back.

Robert

What I do know is that the old 28-incher weighed 49.5kg and the new
32-incher weighs bugger all!

This morning (I watched from my window) the first refuse collector
bloke went to lift the telly, then found out just how heavy it was. He
called the driver down to help, and together they ~~~just~~~ about
managed to lift it up and heave it into the back. It's quite a way
from the ground to where the compactor sits. I hope neither of them
did themselves an injury.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 3:29 pm, MM wrote:
It's a Sony 28" CRT and far too heavy for me to lift. It needs to go
down to the tip. Is there any safety impact that I should be aware of
before dismantling it? It has been switched off for two weeks, so any
capacitors should have discharged by now. I need to take it to the tip
in bits so that I can manhandle them.

Also, a question: Why are these large old tellies SO heavy? What is
the heavy bit? A huge magnet? The glass tube?

In the old days, there are two nice ring magnets inside, these used to
be quite fun to play with. But maybe later designs got round the need
for them. they were used for focussing the electron beam and are
around the neck of the glass tube at the back.

Robert

Boy oh boy, that really *is* the good old days ! I haven't seen that since I
was an apprentice. For the last 40 years, the only magnets around the neck
of any tube have been thin plate types, used to set purity on colour
shadowmask tubes, and later, to set the convergence on slotmask tubes.
Shadowmask tubes also had three small ring magnets and a small twiddlable
bar magnet for setting the static convergence. Post the days of focus
magnets (that's the ring magnets around the neck that I think you are
talking about) and ion trap magnets, there have not been any magnets
associated with black and white tubes. The need was eliminated when
electrostatically focused guns and aluminisation of the rear face of the
phosphor coating to prevent ion burn, were introduced.

Arfa