Rich

Default Damaged Ceiling

Hi,

It's time to redecorate the kitchen, and I'm looking with a critical eye at
where water came through the ceiling last year. It's caused a small sag in
the ceiling about 12" x 2".

I've pic a picture here :-
http://www.btinternet.com/~richdavies99/ceiling.jpg

What's the easiest least hassle way to cure this ?

Rich

BigWallop

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi,

It's time to redecorate the kitchen, and I'm looking with a critical eye

at
where water came through the ceiling last year. It's caused a small sag in
the ceiling about 12" x 2".

I've pic a picture here :-
http://www.btinternet.com/~richdavies99/ceiling.jpg

What's the easiest least hassle way to cure this ?

Rich

It actually looks as if it is the Ames which covers the seams of the
plasterboard has bubbled off, so you might be able to get some wallpaper
paste or PVA glue behind it and stick it back up. Because of the shape and
size of the bubbled section, you will have to cut a line across it with a
modelling knife and let the section flap down. This will let you get a
dawlop of paste on the back and then you can press it back up until it
sticks.

Mix your paste quite thick or liberally spread the glue and allow the
moisture from it to soak in and soften the tape, then stick it back in
place. You might have to hold it for a minute or two, so make yourself
comfortable and secure before you start. Then it should be just a case of
painting it the following day after it has cured off.

Good luck with it.

Ian Middleton

I had similar in a bedroom in my old house, when the cold water tank
overflowed (worn washer) and the overflow pipe hadn't been solvent welded
properly and dripped water onto ceiling. I had two problems, unglued seams
and slight sag of plaster board where water collected.

I glued back the seams using PVA glue, held in place using a foam pad on end
of length on 2x2 wedged between the floor and ceiling to apply pressure.

I bent back the sag using the same bit of 2x2 and foam pad/wedge
arrangement, PVA'd the back of the plasterboard in the loft and poured on a
mix of PVA and plaster and let the "blob" set. Let dry, removed wedge etc,
filled slight cracks in ceiling and repainted. Would never have known there
was a problem unless you went into the loft and lifted the insulation.

All went to waste, as 7 years later water tank split, emptied contents,
bought ceilings upstairs and upstairs down and no amount of PVA an plaster
could fix that.

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Advice on bathroom lighting in shallow false ceiling [email protected] UK diy 8 October 28th 03 05:54 PM
ESWA Ceiling heating - fixing damaged plasterboard? Tim UK diy 2 October 2nd 03 04:00 PM
ceiling fans NC UK diy 3 August 7th 03 09:08 PM
Ceiling - enough strength? NorwichLad UK diy 8 August 5th 03 11:14 AM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM