Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of reroof - help please

I am delighted to say that youngest son is proving to be a chip off the
old block. With prices low and rents high, he is looking for his first
house to 'do up'. Trouble is I'll have to keep my promise to buy him his
first Makita tools to get started. Certainly not having mine!

We looked around a place today. Lots of potential and probably
bargainable to a good price. The reason is a shot roof. The house is a
30s art deco type and had a flat roof. That was replaced with a tiled
roof that slopes from front to back, by adding a few courses of bricks
at the front and some new timbers. The slope is shallow and damp has
penetrated almost everywhere upstairs. My son won't do the roof. Once
its sealed and dry he'll do the interior.

I am out of date with prices. We need to know whether its even worth
bothering with this place so we need a *very, very* rough idea of what a
roof will cost. What would a figure be for stripping tiles, two layers
of felt, battens and refixing tiles? Area is about 45 square metres. I
think at least some of the timbers will need replacing and I think we'll
need extra tiles to provide a larger overlap but the basic cost will be
the starting point for his decision. The house is two storey and in East
Anglia.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:
Trouble is I'll have to keep my promise to
buy him his first Makita tools to get started. Certainly not having
mine!

That is the sort of promise that gets you go into a good nursing home when
you get older and your son makes the choices:-)
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:
I am delighted to say that youngest son is proving to be a chip off the
old block. With prices low and rents high, he is looking for his first
house to 'do up'. Trouble is I'll have to keep my promise to buy him his
first Makita tools to get started. Certainly not having mine!

We looked around a place today. Lots of potential and probably
bargainable to a good price. The reason is a shot roof. The house is a
30s art deco type and had a flat roof. That was replaced with a tiled
roof that slopes from front to back, by adding a few courses of bricks
at the front and some new timbers. The slope is shallow and damp has
penetrated almost everywhere upstairs. My son won't do the roof. Once
its sealed and dry he'll do the interior.

Oh dear. How MUCH slope?

Maybe a complete rei-roof job including new timbers. is on.

At which point a conventional pitched roof MIGHT be a better bet. I had
similar probs with a shallow pitched roof..OK until moss and so on
started creating puddles behind and then it seeped in everywhere.

Frankly I'd rather have a flat roof that's designed to be puddle proof,
possibly done with lead or zinc, than a shallow pitched tiled one, where
you are relying on a free flow of water with no obstructions.

I am out of date with prices. We need to know whether its even worth
bothering with this place so we need a *very, very* rough idea of what a
roof will cost. What would a figure be for stripping tiles, two layers
of felt, battens and refixing tiles?

I'd guess at about 5 grand BUT what if what's underneath is bad? What if
that still doesn't work 2 years on?

Area is about 45 square metres. I
think at least some of the timbers will need replacing and I think we'll
need extra tiles to provide a larger overlap but the basic cost will be
the starting point for his decision. The house is two storey and in East
Anglia.

Might be worth taking a builder or roofing firm along to view it, get an
obscene quote to do it properly, and use that as a bargianing point.

Beter waste a few hundred now on a professional opinion, than ten grand
later on..

Maybe a structural engineering firm like Andrew Firebrace in Cambridge
would be worth a call?

They will charge you a couple of hundred for a report and possibly give
you a verbal estimate,. They don't do building

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2011 20:35, Phil L wrote:
If it's monopitched, the pitch will need to be a minimum of 21 degrees to
use conventional tiles, which may require some extra work,...

These will work down to 15 degrees:

http://www.sandtoft.com/tiles/our-pr.../2020/product/

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 16/03/2011 20:35, Phil L wrote:
If it's monopitched, the pitch will need to be a minimum of 21 degrees to
use conventional tiles, which may require some extra work,...

These will work down to 15 degrees:

http://www.sandtoft.com/tiles/our-pr.../2020/product/

Well. yes, when *new and clean and in perfect condition*, they will.

Now crack one, and shove a lump of moss on another, or get a bit of
swell behind on a batten so they no longer fit perfectly, and I can
assure you, having demolished a roof like that, that they really don't
work for very long.

I'd say 5-10 years max.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2011 20:24, Peter Scott wrote:
[...]

Many many thanks to all for excellent suggestions. I'll pass them on my
son. I think it's about time I initiated him into the arcane delights of
uk.d-i-y. I think he's ready. He knows about Father Christmas.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 16, 11:18*pm, Peter Scott wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you've got under 10 degrees, so tiles not really a good
choice - as you've found from experience. There are 2 ways to resolve
this:
1. Put a long lived roofing on that is suitable, such as metal or
fibre cement sheet, and tile over the top, the tiling then being
decorative.
2. Build up the slope with more brickwork.
The latter would be mostly labour cost, and perhaps something he could
do. An initial layer of tarp or felt would make it possible to spread
the work out over a while, if that helps.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 16/03/2011 20:35, Phil L wrote:
If it's monopitched, the pitch will need to be a minimum of 21 degrees to
use conventional tiles, which may require some extra work,...

These will work down to 15 degrees:

http://www.sandtoft.com/tiles/our-pr...ange/plain-til
es/2020/product/

Well. yes, when *new and clean and in perfect condition*, they will.

Now crack one, and shove a lump of moss on another, or get a bit of
swell behind on a batten so they no longer fit perfectly, and I can
assure you, having demolished a roof like that, that they really don't
work for very long.

I'd say 5-10 years max.

Any advance on 5.0deg.? Agricultural/industrial insulated rolled steel
roofing? Normally 12.5 or 15deg. but weather proof at less. May need
special attention to gutter drip.

Planners might worry but there is a choice of colours and the life
should exceed 25 years.

http://www.steadmans.co.uk/product/twinskin/index.htm

Usually fitted to purlins rather than rafters but not an insurmountable
issue.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

OT - Dissecting the Real Cost of ObamaCare -- The President's own chief Medicare actuary says the Senate and House bills are bending the cost curve up Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 0 March 4th 10 02:29 PM
Reroof flat roofed one car garage -- Metal? Dan Musicant Home Repair 20 October 9th 09 10:21 PM
new roof vs reroof TH Home Repair 2 October 23rd 06 05:49 PM
Surface Plate Cost/Shipping Cost [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 5th 06 10:19 PM
Reroof time Jim Home Repair 4 May 2nd 05 10:41 PM