Jim

Default Reroof time

Water penetration, ice daming, convince me the time has come to seek out
a roofing job.

Access to the very limited attic space is quite difficult. So improving
ventilation and insulation might not be an option. Concentrating on the
exterior what options should I look for to better assure a leak free
roof job?

As a matter for consideration the lot is heavily wooded and shaded. So
much so that moss appears in several places on the roof.

Mike Dobony

"Jim" wrote in message
Water penetration, ice daming, convince me the time has come to seek out
a roofing job.

Access to the very limited attic space is quite difficult. So improving
ventilation and insulation might not be an option. Concentrating on the
exterior what options should I look for to better assure a leak free
roof job?

As a matter for consideration the lot is heavily wooded and shaded. So
much so that moss appears in several places on the roof.

Sounds like you live in a pre-fab with a very low roof pitch and inadequate
ventilation. What do you have in the line of roof vents and overhang
ventilation? Is it possible to run power to the attic to put in a powered
ventilator?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" wrote in message

what options should I look for to better assure a leak free roof job?

An experienced reputable roofer. He'll know what is best for your
situation.

John_B

Jim wrote:

Water penetration, ice daming, convince me the time has come to seek out
a roofing job.

Access to the very limited attic space is quite difficult. So improving
ventilation and insulation might not be an option. Concentrating on the
exterior what options should I look for to better assure a leak free
roof job?

As a matter for consideration the lot is heavily wooded and shaded. So
much so that moss appears in several places on the roof.

I had two layers of shingles removed from my shaded roof and
asked the roofer to (1) install a ridge vent and (2) put on the
36 inch wide "ice dam prevention" stuff under the shingles [I
think it is some sort of rubbery stuff which does not let any
water which may accumulate near the roof edges leak between the
shingles into the plywood to which the shingles are nailed.]

I don't have any idea how much this approach would help your problem.
Jim

Mike Dobony wrote:

Sounds like you live in a pre-fab with a very low roof pitch and inadequate
ventilation. What do you have in the line of roof vents and overhang
ventilation? Is it possible to run power to the attic to put in a powered
ventilator?

This happens to be a 50 year old cape with center dormer. Vents are on
either end.

Crawl space is nearly nonexistent to install a powered anything.