Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring for electric kiln

One of my tenants is a potter, he's currently got a 3kW electric
kiln and is planning on getting a 6kW one, so I need to put an
extra circuit in for it. Any points to bear in mind?
I'm planning on treating it as though it's a cooker and putting
in a 30/32A radial with a neon two-pole switch and cooker
outlet box. To tidy things up I'll probably also put in a 15/16A
radial for the 3kW kiln as well.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
One of my tenants is a potter, he's currently got a 3kW electric
kiln and is planning on getting a 6kW one, so I need to put an
extra circuit in for it. Any points to bear in mind?
I'm planning on treating it as though it's a cooker and putting
in a 30/32A radial with a neon two-pole switch and cooker
outlet box. To tidy things up I'll probably also put in a 15/16A
radial for the 3kW kiln as well.

I think you have got it covered.

Just make sure that the cable will be suitable for a higher powered kiln, eg
a 9kW 40A supply for future upgrades.

Cheers
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Just make sure that the cable will be suitable for a higher powered kiln, eg
a 9kW 40A supply for future upgrades.

Good point, I've got a pile of 6mm that's been sitting doing nothing.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 15, 8:56*pm, jgharston wrote:
One of my tenants is a potter, he's currently got a 3kW electric
kiln and is planning on getting a 6kW one, so I need to put an
extra circuit in for it. Any points to bear in mind?

Leakage currents can get fairly high for pottery kilns. Glass kilns
are easier, as big ones of that power are now using tube elements that
don't have the same leakage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 15, 8:56*pm, jgharston wrote:
One of my tenants is a potter, he's currently got a 3kW electric
kiln and is planning on getting a 6kW one, so I need to put an
extra circuit in for it. Any points to bear in mind?
I'm planning on treating it as though it's a cooker and putting
in a 30/32A radial with a neon two-pole switch and cooker
outlet box. To tidy things up I'll probably also put in a 15/16A
radial for the 3kW kiln as well.

JGH

When you get to 6Kw you need to asses the other electric heating loads
in the property. Eg immersion heater, kettle, cookers. You may find
yourself in an overload situation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_factor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
When you get to 6Kw you need to asses the other electric heating loads
in the property. Eg immersion heater, kettle, cookers. You may find
yourself in an overload situation.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_factor

It's a pottery workshop, the total electrical load will be the
6kW kiln, the existing 3kW kiln, 10 x 35W fluoescent lights,
and a radio. Heating and hot water is gas-fired, controlled
by a circuit on the landlord's supply.

JGH