Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making ledge and brace doors with frames - 2 questions

Hi, I'm planning to make two ledge and brace doors for my garage, and
was thinking of going the whole hog and making the doors framed.

I know with ledge and brace doors you are supposed to fix the ledges
to a stile and then once all ledges and stiles are fixed together, put
in the braces.

Can someone tell me - what is the procedure when making a framed ledge
and brace door? Make the frame first, or what? It doesn't sound right
to fix the ledges and braces to the stiles and then put the frame on
at the end. Not that I would know! Why is why I'm asking...

Second question - what's the best way to secure the doors? Monkey tail
bolt on one side... Night latch to secure them together, or what?

Thanks!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Nagelson wrote:
Hi, I'm planning to make two ledge and brace doors for my garage, and
was thinking of going the whole hog and making the doors framed.

I know with ledge and brace doors you are supposed to fix the ledges
to a stile and then once all ledges and stiles are fixed together, put
in the braces.

Can someone tell me - what is the procedure when making a framed ledge
and brace door? Make the frame first, or what? It doesn't sound right
to fix the ledges and braces to the stiles and then put the frame on
at the end. Not that I would know! Why is why I'm asking...

John,

(Brief description only)

Make the frame first, using through mortise and tenon joints for the top,
middle and bottom rails and the two braces housed into the three rails. Then
fit the T,G&V boarding onto the frame - remember, that because the two
stiles are machine rebated to take the boards, the rails and braces will
need to of thinner stock than the stiles by the depth of the rebate to
enable the boards to be properly fitted.

Second question - what's the best way to secure the doors? Monkey tail
bolt on one side... Night latch to secure them together, or what?

That depends on your level of security - and remember, that due to the
design, you can fit a high quality, five-lever mortice lock to this type of
door (my preference would be a Chubb five-lever, with case hardened insert
pins and fully enclosed receiver).

I would also advise the use of good quality timber (pressure treated if
using softwood).

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
[...]

*ERROR* *CORRECTION* :-(

The top rail must be of the same sized material as the stiles. The
thickness of the bottom rail can either be the same as the stiles (and
rebated) so the boards fit into the rebate (a possible water trap) or they
can be thinner to allow the boards to run right to the bottom of the door
(allowing a better water run-off)

Apologies for that.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 11:45*pm, "Cash"
wrote:
Cash wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for this, Cash, and also thanks to Harry and John.

I'm afraid some of this is going over my head, including some of the
technical terms. Does 'rail' denote just the 'ledges', or does it also
denote the top and bottom of the frame?

My current understanding is:

* each door has a frame with four sides, and then in addition to that,
three ledges and two braces

(but is that correct? :-) )

* make the frame using four mortise-and-tenon joints, and then
* fit three ledges into the frame also using m&t joints, and then
* fix t&g boards onto both frame (rebated) and ledges, and then lastly
* fix the braces (the ledges having been prepared so that the braces
fit into them nicely)?

Is that right or am I completely misunderstanding something?

I've never made a mortise-and-tenon joint before, but people say it's
easy with a router. Are they right? Any advice on this? Do I need a
special table for the router?

Thanks!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2011 08:32, John Nagelson wrote:
On Mar 12, 11:45 pm,
wrote:
Cash wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
[...]

Mortise & tenon is the best way, but not that easy.

I've made them as follows, using a mitre saw;

Assuming you want a door 6' high x 3' wide. Use 4 x 1 timber.

cut 2 x 72" & 2 x 36". Now cut 2 x 64" & 2 x 28".

Laminate a 72 & a 64 together to leave 4" at each end. Do that twice.

Laminate a 36 & a 28 together leaving 4" at each end. Do that twice.

You can now build the frame using half lap joints. The 4" will be the
actual width of the 4 x 1 timber.

You can see that its easy to incorporate a central ledge using the same
technique.

Use 1 x 1 timber glued & pinned to make the rebate to hold the T&G.

Braces can also be half lapped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 8:32*am, John Nagelson wrote:
On Mar 12, 11:45*pm, "Cash"
wrote:

Cash wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Making your own ledge & brace door is not reccomended for a first time
carpentry project. It'll take a couple of days at least if you haven't
done one before. You will need three sash cramps and a completely flat
surface to assemble/glue the door up on or it will be twisted and
won't fit the door opening properly.

A router is not an ideal tool, most won't cut deep enough and it's
hard to get the mortice exactly perpendicular. If you don't get it
perpendicular, your door will have a twist when assembled.
The tool of choice is a morticing machine which virtually no amateurs
have.
You might have a drill stand you could drill a series of holes with
that & chisel out afterwards. Again the holes have to be
perpendicular/pparallel tothe door face.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Cash wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
[...]

BTW. It's a lot easier to make up the frame without the rebates for
the planks.
Put the rebates in after assembly with your router. The corners will
have to be chiselled out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 5:57*pm, John Rumm wrote:

OK, not completed yet, but I have done you some pictures (click on them
for larger versions):

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ed_ledge_and_b....

Thanks in particular for this, which is very much appreciated, as is
all the info from everyone who has responded.

I will have to study it properly before working out whether I have any
further questions!

Cheers!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 8:46*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 14/03/2011 08:32, John Nagelson wrote:

Laminate a 72 & a 64 together to leave 4" at each end. Do that twice.

Laminate a 36 & a 28 together leaving 4" at each end. *Do that twice.

Thanks Dave. One very newbie question - what does it mean to
"laminate" two pieces of wood together? Does it mean to stick them
together using PVA wood glue, or something more advanced?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 14/03/2011 08:32, John Nagelson wrote:

Mortise & tenon is the best way, but not that easy.

I've made them as follows, using a mitre saw;

Assuming you want a door 6' high x 3' wide. *Use 4 x 1 timber.

cut 2 x 72" & 2 x 36". *Now cut 2 x 64" & 2 x 28".

Laminate a 72 & a 64 together to leave 4" at each end. Do that twice.

Laminate a 36 & a 28 together leaving 4" at each end. *Do that twice.

You can now build the frame using half lap joints. *The 4" will be the
actual width of the 4 x 1 timber.

You can see that its easy to incorporate a central ledge using the same
technique.

Use 1 x 1 timber glued & pinned to make the rebate to hold the T&G.

Braces can also be half lapped.

Thanks for this advice as to a simpler method than using mortises and
tenons. I've been thinking for about half an hour about how to half-
lap the braces. Am I right to think that with this design, they are
half-lapped to the frame, so that the leftmost and rightmost points of
the braces sit at the outer edges of the door?

Thanks!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

If you use half-lap joints on garage doors, then you will have very little
strength to hold the things together - you're simply relying on glue and a
few nails.

The only way that this method will have any strength and security, would be
if you decide to glue and nail external grade plywood to both sides of the
frame - making it into a flush (rather than an F,L,B door.

A mortise and tenon isn't that difficult to do on square timber (but a
rebate complicates things a little because you have to have one shoulder of
the tenon longer than the other) - so practice on some square timber,
assemble the joints and then use a motorised router to whip out the rebates
as required (as previously suggested in one of the replies here - and making
life easier).

A suggestion, if you are not really confident in doing the job yourself, and
have a local construction college handy in your area, nip down and ask the
head of the carpentry classes if he would get the students to make the doors
as an exercise for their course-work - and you either supply the timber, or
pay the college for it.

Paying the college may be better, as their wood machinist students could
then cut the frame material from rough sawn stock (which is cheaper to buy)
as a further exercise.

If they won't make the doors, they will almost certainly show you how it's
done - and that it's a technically simple job, even using simple hand tools
such as the old style brace and bit, along with a mallet (or hammer) and a
couple of sharp wood chisels (bloody laborious and arm-aching though). :-)

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2011 16:42, Cash wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
On Mar 14, 8:46 am, The Medway
wrote:
[...]

My garage doors are 15 years old, made using this method and are as
strong as a very strong thing full of strongness.

On a frame made of 4 x 1 you have a glue area of 20 sq ins which when
screwed - not nailed - won't move.

My doors are 6'6" x 4' and aren't braced - and they are fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2011 10:25, John Nagelson wrote:
On Mar 14, 8:46 am, The Medway
wrote:
On 14/03/2011 08:32, John Nagelson wrote:

Laminate a 72& a 64 together to leave 4" at each end. Do that twice.

Laminate a 36& a 28 together leaving 4" at each end. Do that twice.

Thanks Dave. One very newbie question - what does it mean to
"laminate" two pieces of wood together? Does it mean to stick them
together using PVA wood glue, or something more advanced?

Pretty much. I use polyurethane & a few screws/clamps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2011 12:27, John Nagelson wrote:
On Mar 14, 8:46 am, The Medway
wrote:
[...]

No, they fit the same way as the rest, but with the rails made in
sections IYSWIM.

Doors and frames - watertight Geoff[_3_] UK diy 0 June 25th 08 05:23 PM
Making picture frames? Lobster UK diy 14 June 5th 07 12:06 PM
Fire doors+frames in rented flats Tom UK diy 7 May 11th 06 09:35 PM
Making Frames [email protected] Woodworking 6 August 7th 05 05:18 AM
Door frames & doors steve UK diy 0 August 20th 03 12:04 PM