Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of total re-wire of house

Folks,

If anyone could give me a rough guide(*) price of the cost of having a
three storied house entirely re-wired. That is a new consumer unit and all
wiring replaced.

The house in question: 3 cellar rooms (two with no windows one with, leccy
intake to one of these rooms), ground floor above has a hallway and two
living/reception rooms, above that two bedrooms and a bathroom. "Posh"
large roomed terraced house built in the 1890s. North West of England.

Last rewired (or sorts) a bodge job to put electricity in to *some* of the
rooms in the early 1960s.

Work to be carried out by an electrical contractor. I simply don't have the
time to do it myself (time of course includes getting to know all the
relevent regulations, post installation testing for Part P purposes etc) -
the property in question is several hundred miles from me.

(*) Appreciate that it can only be a rough guide.

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Wilson wrote:

Folks,

If anyone could give me a rough guide(*) price of the cost of having a
three storied house entirely re-wired. That is a new consumer unit and all
wiring replaced.

A guessimate would be £2000 - 2500.
It all depends on access for fitting, and what fittings you want.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Wilson
writes
[...]

Small three-bedroom detached house (including loft and garage lights),
two three years ago, electrician and trainee assistant 80% time, 9 days,
£3600 including cheap sockets and switches, consumer unit, and a few
extra bits and pieces.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
If anyone could give me a rough guide(*) price of the cost of having a
three storied house entirely re-wired. That is a new consumer unit and
all wiring replaced.

A guessimate would be £2000 - 2500.
It all depends on access for fitting, and what fittings you want.

That sounds suspiciously low to me for a decent job. I'd have guessed at
more than twice that. Assuming all cables concealed with flush fittings.

But Adam should be along shortly with a ballpark figure. ;-)

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 15:51:43 GMT, Chris Wilson
wrote:

[...]

I got a quote of £1750 in 2003 for a 3-bed ex-LA semi in High Wycombe.
In the end I didn't have it done. The estate agent said it wouldn't
make any difference and it didn't.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
If anyone could give me a rough guide(*) price of the cost of
having a three storied house entirely re-wired. That is a new
consumer unit and all wiring replaced.

A guessimate would be £2000 - 2500.
It all depends on access for fitting, and what fittings you want.

That sounds suspiciously low to me for a decent job. I'd have guessed
at more than twice that. Assuming all cables concealed with flush
fittings.

That's because you live in London.
This is the NW, where unemployment is creeping ever higher and work becoming
extremely scarce.

But Adam should be along shortly with a ballpark figure. ;-)

Between 2.5 and 3k for a decent job, but it could be done cheaper,
especially if the property is empty and / or in need of extensive
re-plastering work

I looked at it as £750ish for parts, 2 weeks labour, so at £150/day,
thats £2250.
I think it could be done in less than 10 days, so long as access is
reasonable.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
If anyone could give me a rough guide(*) price of the cost of
having a three storied house entirely re-wired. That is a new
consumer unit and all wiring replaced.

A guessimate would be £2000 - 2500.
It all depends on access for fitting, and what fittings you want.

That sounds suspiciously low to me for a decent job. I'd have guessed
at more than twice that. Assuming all cables concealed with flush
fittings.

That's because you live in London.
This is the NW, where unemployment is creeping ever higher and work
becoming extremely scarce.

But Adam should be along shortly with a ballpark figure. ;-)

I am here!

Between 2.5 and 3k for a decent job, but it could be done cheaper,
especially if the property is empty and / or in need of extensive
re-plastering work

An empty house (with no furniture or carpets to move or cover with dust
sheets) and where the electrician is not required to make good the damage to
the plaster would make it possible to do the job cheaper than 2.5K subject
to the specs (eg a customer wanting all RCBOs instead of a dual RCD CU, and
50 spotlights in the kitchen etc).

I would give a ballpark figure of 2K for a basic spec setup in an unoccupied
house where you as make as much mess/dust as you want and up to 4K for a
high spec in an occupied house.

I have in the past offered upto a 10% discount for the owners to move out
for the week whilst their house is rewired as I can then leave the power off
at night, floorboards up and I do have to move beds and furniture back into
position every day.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

Well they sound like lazy *******s. Try 5 days and putting some effort into
the work.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Wilson wrote in
:

Folks,

Thanks to all who've taken the time to reply, very useful answers from
everyone.

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
[...]

That agrees with a back-of-the-envelope quote I got from a builder a
while ago in Stoke-on-Trent, when I was looking at a "project" type house.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message

Between 2.5 and 3k for a decent job, but it could be done cheaper,
especially if the property is empty and / or in need of extensive
re-plastering work

re-wire is on my agenda too

my sitting-room needs re-plastering too, so before re-wiring should I:

- leave the old plaster on
- knock off the plaster
- get walls newly plastered (plaster-boarded, actually)

likewise, the kitchen needs a new ceiling (plasterboards, plain and simple)

so should I get the new ceiling done first, then get the new lights wired
into it

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gill Smith wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

Between 2.5 and 3k for a decent job, but it could be done cheaper,
especially if the property is empty and / or in need of extensive
re-plastering work

re-wire is on my agenda too

my sitting-room needs re-plastering too, so before re-wiring should I:

- leave the old plaster on
- knock off the plaster
- get walls newly plastered (plaster-boarded, actually)

Leave it on or knock it off. Don't replaster first, or you'll be getting
the plasterer back after the 'leccy's been. For dry lining, put the
board up with conduit and wall boxes where wanted, install the wiring,
then do the finishing skim coat. With plasterboard and dab, put the
board up first, leaving gaps for the wiring, install the wiring, then
finish it off. Always put in more wall boxes and conduit than you think
you'll ever need, 'cos you'll need them all.

Knocking the plaster off first will save the 'leccy's time, as he won't
need to hack the channels for the conduits, unless you're dry lining
over the existing plaster.

likewise, the kitchen needs a new ceiling (plasterboards, plain and simple)

so should I get the new ceiling done first, then get the new lights wired
into it

Put the new wiring in, plasterboard and finish the ceiling, leaving
holes where needed, then install the lights.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gill Smith wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

Between 2.5 and 3k for a decent job, but it could be done cheaper,
especially if the property is empty and / or in need of extensive
re-plastering work

re-wire is on my agenda too

my sitting-room needs re-plastering too, so before re-wiring should I:

- leave the old plaster on
- knock off the plaster
- get walls newly plastered (plaster-boarded, actually)

You will only need to knock the old plaster off if it is blown. As John
pointed out, the rewire should be done before the plastering.

likewise, the kitchen needs a new ceiling (plasterboards, plain and
simple)
so should I get the new ceiling done first, then get the new lights
wired into it

That would depend on what is above the kitchen ceiling. If there is limited
access above (say tiled floors) then it would be better to get the cables in
before the plastering as some of the ceiling may need to come down to get
the cables in.

--
Adam