Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need to connect old plastic BS3505 pipe to modern pipework

We have a flat which was originally plumbed with BS3505 plastic pipes.

I need to re-plumb a section which starts as the old BS3505 pipe and
ends with modern 15mm push fit. The re-plumbing will involve removing
the existing converter from old to new. As the BS3505 bits are glued
(solvent welded) I can't re-use the converter very easily.

So, where can I get some sort of converter to go from the old plastic
pipe to modern sizes? I can't find anything about BS3505 at BES and a
Google Shopping search tells me nothing except that a copy of the
standard will cost me £92! :-)

The old pipe is marked:-

Yorkshire Imperial Polyorcb
BS3505 1/2" CL E

(Not absolutely sure about some of that)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
We have a flat which was originally plumbed with BS3505 plastic pipes.

I need to re-plumb a section which starts as the old BS3505 pipe and
ends with modern 15mm push fit. The re-plumbing will involve removing
the existing converter from old to new. As the BS3505 bits are glued
(solvent welded) I can't re-use the converter very easily.

So, where can I get some sort of converter to go from the old plastic
pipe to modern sizes? I can't find anything about BS3505 at BES and a
Google Shopping search tells me nothing except that a copy of the
standard will cost me £92! :-)

The old pipe is marked:-

Yorkshire Imperial Polyorcb
BS3505 1/2" CL E

(Not absolutely sure about some of that)

--
Chris Green

Never come across this before and don't know about converters, but from BS
3505:1986, the pipe is UPVC and for half inch nominal, the OD is 21.2 to
21.5 mm and the wall thickness 2.1 mm. It's rated to 15 bar.

If you've access to machine tools, you could buy a short length of solid
UPVC round bar from ebay, bore one end to take the old pipe and tap the
other end to take a suitable modern brass fitting. Then glue the old pipe
into your new converter making sure you use cement intended for PVC (not
ABS).

I don't know if you might just get away with a modern 22 mm push fit
connector. But I suspect that if a 22 mm insert was a reasonably snug fit,
you might get away with using a 22 mm compression fitting (with a metal
olive) on it. Don't try it without an insert, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

wrote in message ...
We have a flat which was originally plumbed with BS3505 plastic pipes.

I need to re-plumb a section which starts as the old BS3505 pipe and
ends with modern 15mm push fit. The re-plumbing will involve removing
the existing converter from old to new. As the BS3505 bits are glued
(solvent welded) I can't re-use the converter very easily.

So, where can I get some sort of converter to go from the old plastic
pipe to modern sizes? I can't find anything about BS3505 at BES and a
Google Shopping search tells me nothing except that a copy of the
standard will cost me £92! :-)

The old pipe is marked:-

Yorkshire Imperial Polyorcb
BS3505 1/2" CL E

(Not absolutely sure about some of that)

--
Chris Green

Sizes as BS3505. http://www.pipestock.com/PVC-Pipe-Dimensions.php

Looks like just normal Imperial Size Pipe.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2011 14:53, wrote:
snip

I can't find anything about BS3505 at BES

Search BES for 3505, not BS3505, and it comes up with one fitting, which
may be a start...

--
Kevin Poole
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes, I found that much too.

If you've access to machine tools, you could buy a short length of solid
UPVC round bar from ebay, bore one end to take the old pipe and tap the
other end to take a suitable modern brass fitting. Then glue the old pipe
into your new converter making sure you use cement intended for PVC (not
ABS).

That's one approach I suppose!

I don't know if you might just get away with a modern 22 mm push fit
connector. But I suspect that if a 22 mm insert was a reasonably snug fit,
you might get away with using a 22 mm compression fitting (with a metal
olive) on it. Don't try it without an insert, though.

A 22mm insert will be nothing like the right size will it? The walls
of the BS3505 pipe are *much* thicker than 22mm push fit plastic pipe
aren't they?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Baz wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

So what fits it? It's neither 1/2" nor 3/4" so the normal 1/2" to
15mm or 3/4" to 22mm adapters won't help.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...
No, it's around 21.5mm diameter.

Ah - different kettle of fish. Sorry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We have a flat which was originally plumbed with BS3505 plastic pipes.

I need to re-plumb a section which starts as the old BS3505 pipe and
ends with modern 15mm push fit. The re-plumbing will involve removing
the existing converter from old to new. As the BS3505 bits are glued
(solvent welded) I can't re-use the converter very easily.

You need to go to the best local Plumbers Merchant. Not BES or PTS
chains, an independent who has been there a long time.

It'll probably be a pipe from the early 70's when copper was in short
supply. The merchants will keep the couplings to fit to copper pipe.

There are 2 or 3 estates here in Leicester that have old plastic pipe
coming into the house, i have one of the convertors here, the OD of the
plastic is around 17mm. There is one of the local merchants who keep
these in stock, no-one else knows what they are (probably as the staff
were'nt born in the 70's). A place 10 miles away is unlikely to have
heard of them, as they didnt use the same pipe there.

Yours sounds very like the nickel plated steel pipe that was available
at the time too. This is just a bit smaller than both 3/4 and 22mm.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message

We have a flat which was originally plumbed with BS3505 plastic pipes.

I need to re-plumb a section which starts as the old BS3505 pipe and
ends with modern 15mm push fit. The re-plumbing will involve removing
the existing converter from old to new. As the BS3505 bits are glued
(solvent welded) I can't re-use the converter very easily.

You need to go to the best local Plumbers Merchant. Not BES or PTS
chains, an independent who has been there a long time.

It'll probably be a pipe from the early 70's when copper was in short
supply. The merchants will keep the couplings to fit to copper pipe.

There are 2 or 3 estates here in Leicester that have old plastic pipe
coming into the house, i have one of the convertors here, the OD of the
plastic is around 17mm.

That will be BS 3505:1986 "3/8", which is 17.0 to 17.3 OD

There is one of the local merchants who keep
these in stock, no-one else knows what they are (probably as the staff
were'nt born in the 70's). A place 10 miles away is unlikely to have
heard of them, as they didnt use the same pipe there.

Yours sounds very like the nickel plated steel pipe that was available
at the time too. This is just a bit smaller than both 3/4 and 22mm.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
We have a flat which was originally plumbed with BS3505 plastic pipes.

I need to re-plumb a section which starts as the old BS3505 pipe and
Chris Green

Chris .. if you measure OD and ID and post the result, a suitable fitting
can be suggested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
Chris Green

Never come across this before and don't know about converters, but from
BS
3505:1986, the pipe is UPVC and for half inch nominal, the OD is 21.2 to
21.5 mm and the wall thickness 2.1 mm. It's rated to 15 bar.

Yes, I found that much too.

If you've access to machine tools, you could buy a short length of solid
UPVC round bar from ebay, bore one end to take the old pipe and tap the
other end to take a suitable modern brass fitting. Then glue the old pipe
into your new converter making sure you use cement intended for PVC (not
ABS).

That's one approach I suppose!

Well this is DIY!

I don't know if you might just get away with a modern 22 mm push fit
connector. But I suspect that if a 22 mm insert was a reasonably snug
fit,
you might get away with using a 22 mm compression fitting (with a metal
olive) on it. Don't try it without an insert, though.

A 22mm insert will be nothing like the right size will it? The walls
of the BS3505 pipe are *much* thicker than 22mm push fit plastic pipe
aren't they?

Bore of your obsolete pipe will be about 17.0 mm. From samples of 1 from my
spares, Acorn insert is 17.5, Speedfit is 17.7. But if your OD is no more
than 21.5 then an Acorn insert will take the OD up to 22.0 and I'm sure you
can persuade a compression fitting on to that. If your OD is at the bottom
end of tolerance, then even the larger and more readily available Speedfit
is probably OK, especially if you remove the smaller O ring. May be worth
warming up your plastic parts gently. THIS IS UK-DIY!

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 17:01:10 +0000, wrote:

Sizes as BS3505.
http://www.pipestock.com/PVC-Pipe-Dimensions.php

Looks like just normal Imperial Size Pipe.

So what fits it? It's neither 1/2" nor 3/4"

IIRC imperial pipe measures the ID, metric the OD.

17OD - (2 wall x 2) = 13 pretty close to 1/2"...

1/2" compression would take up the slack but finding an insert might
be fun get the tightest fitting one you can.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

Actually, on trying it (I've found an old bit of the BS3505 pipe too!)
Speedfit inserts fit the pipe perfectly and it feels like Speedfit
will actually work 'as is'.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

wrote in message ...
We have a flat which was originally plumbed with BS3505 plastic pipes.

I need to re-plumb a section which starts as the old BS3505 pipe and
Chris Green

Chris .. if you measure OD and ID and post the result, a suitable fitting
can be suggested.

As noted way back at the beginning the OD is 21.5 mm.

It's so close to 22mm push-fit that I think I may get away with using
some 22mm push fit.

Alternatively I have found that solvent weld 21.5mm overflow fittings
are a good fit too.

The object of the exercise is to remove about 10 feet of redundant
(and wobbly) pipework that runs up the side of a cupboard and then
back down again. It used to fill a hot water cylinder at the top of
the cupboard, now it's just the mains feed to a combi boiler that's
elsewehere.

Thus it may be that the easiest way to do the job is to re-use the
existing old plastic to 15mm connection (which is perfectly sound),
cut out all the redundant intermediate bit and rejoin the two old
plastic ends with a 21.5mm solvent weld fitting. I wouldn't use an
overflow *pipe* for mains pressure but the simple solvent weld
straight join will be almost totally supported by the inserted ends of
the existing pipe so I'm sure it'll be strong enough.

--
Chris Green

sash window (modern) with draught plastic brush strips Tom[_4_] UK diy 3 September 13th 09 08:36 AM
Plastic pipework ianw UK diy 71 May 14th 08 06:37 AM
Modern day plastic door lock problem. [email protected] UK diy 6 February 9th 06 02:44 PM
pvc to drain pipe connect problem zackde Home Repair 4 April 21st 05 11:40 PM
How to connect steel liner to boiler pipe Peter Scott UK diy 3 March 6th 05 10:24 PM