Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PDP/11 chassis door swings shut ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Another one hits the DEC

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy Burns
writes
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Another one hits the DEC

In 1970 I remember playing Star-trek using a PDP/9 and TeleType 43 (alias
gatling-gun) printer, terrific.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
eb.com...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy
Burns writes
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Another one hits the DEC

In 1970 I remember playing Star-trek using a PDP/9 and TeleType 43 (alias
gatling-gun) printer, terrific.

I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?) on
the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after the
wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).
It's later than you think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...-computing/08o
lsen.html

Here's a pretty good obit from El Reg:
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/02/08/dec_founder_olsen_dead/

Many of the comments mirror my own experiences...

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
eb.com...

"brass monkey" wrote in message
eb.com...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy
Burns writes
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Another one hits the DEC

In 1970 I remember playing Star-trek using a PDP/9 and TeleType 43 (alias
gatling-gun) printer, terrific.

I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?) on
the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after the
wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).
It's later than you think.

DOH -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Te...and_reader.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 1:57*am, Richard Perkin wrote:

Many of the comments mirror my own experiences..

All I saw was the usual Reg crap. "DEC's PC was called the
Rainbow" (It wasn't - they soon had an actual PC clone too)

"NT is really VMS because of Dave Cutler" Only in the pre-release
blurbs. Reality was rather different. Same as for the HAL.

"Win2000 onwards were ok , but NT 3.11 and 3.5* were lame dogs and
should never have been released. " What was "NT 3.11" ? and
although the NT desktop was antiquated, the NT 3.* OS was a good
server platform - at least until the kernel protection was busted to
make graphics performance quicker, just in time for CPU-based graphics
boards to make this unnecessary.

"With an almost-orthogonal instruction set it would these days be a
RISC machine" is someone who doesn't understand what either CISC or
RISC are. Mind you, nor did most of DEC, by the time the Alpha arrived
and they still tried to treat it like the next VAX.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote in

:

[...]

You're right of course. Much cr@p in there. But try a few from the
one posted Tuesday 8th February 2011 15:05 GMT

I spent a hefty chunk of my career working on software running on
assorted DEC kit including PDP-8, 11/40, 11/34, 11/23, 11/73, 11/70,
Pro 350, VAX-11/730, 750, 785, MicroVAX, VAXstation, AlphaStation. I
have particularly fond memories of the PDP-11 instruction set and
MACRO-11 under RSX-11M [Aside: which is where I first came across the
name DN Cutler when reading the system listings] especially when I
had to compare it with the Intel x86 instruction set some years later

Kind regards

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below
richard.perkinATmyrealbox.com

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

[x-posted]

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Ooops, that was intended for the shed rather than uk.d-i-y, guess there
are plenty of PDP/VAX/Alpha aficionados here anyway ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 07:26:10 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

[x-posted]

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/technology/business-

computing/08olsen.html

Ooops, that was intended for the shed rather than uk.d-i-y, guess there
are plenty of PDP/VAX/Alpha aficionados here anyway ...

Sure there are, although I heard the news about 24 hours earlier! I have
three VAXes, two PDP-11s and a replica PDP-8 in the house...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 01:57:09 -0000, brass monkey wrote:

I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

That would make sense as that was 8 bit.

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?)
on the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after
the wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).

Final Score on the BBC I think used a Creed 75, this would have been
5 bit and 50 baud as it was connected to the public telegraph system.

I had one for a while, with tape reader and punch, gear box and would
go up to 75 baud. Also had a Teletype model 28, 6S5M tape reader and
still have a Creed 444.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 07:26:10 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

plenty of PDP/VAX/Alpha aficionados here anyway ...

I have
three VAXes, two PDP-11s and a replica PDP-8 in the house...

One VAXserver 3300 here and I chucked out an alphaSERVER 2100 for eating
too much space a few years back, I have 'dibs' on an alphaServer 1000
and DS20e plus BA35x storageworks pedestals but I still don't have space
for them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

"Andy Burns" wrote ...
Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 07:26:10 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

plenty of PDP/VAX/Alpha aficionados here anyway ...

I have
three VAXes, two PDP-11s and a replica PDP-8 in the house...

One VAXserver 3300 here and I chucked out an alphaSERVER 2100 for eating
too much space a few years back, I have 'dibs' on an alphaServer 1000
and DS20e plus BA35x storageworks pedestals but I still don't have space
for them.

Yeah, DEC was on the slide..
.... when they started going away from the H960 cab!;-)

I liked what Ken Olsen said about the PC!
"The personal computer will fall flat on its face in business,"
he said at one point.
See! Even then he had the laptop flip-top screen in mind!;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Deeply sad.

You might say that today's blades running Linux are direct descendents
of the PDPs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 11:30*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

You might say that today's blades running Linux are direct descendents
of the PDPs.

I've heard David Icke say much the same thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Creed 444 teleprinter PDP/11

On Feb 9, 7:53*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 01:57:09 -0000, brass monkey wrote:
I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

That would make sense as that was 8 bit.

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?)
on the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after
the wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).

Final Score on the BBC I think used a Creed 75, this would have been
5 bit and 50 baud as it was connected to the public telegraph system.

I had one for a while, with tape reader and punch, gear box and would
go up to 75 baud. Also had a Teletype model 28, 6S5M tape reader and
still have a Creed 444.

Definitely a design classic, the 444, along with other telecomms/radio
stuff from that time, as featured on TV shows like 'Minder' ,'The
Sweeney', 'The Professionals' etc, check out the film 'North Sea
Hijack' as well. Do you still use it on air? I've got a 700-series
rotary dial phone (two-tone grey, of course!) from the same era, and a
WB1400 loudspeaker unit, bought from the Hack Green nuclear bunker
museum, I keep meaning to use it with an amplifier on the phone line,
when I work out how, will be useful when calling those automated menu
systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, brass
monkey writes

"brass monkey" wrote in message
web.com...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy
Burns writes
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Another one hits the DEC

In 1970 I remember playing Star-trek using a PDP/9 and TeleType 43 (alias
gatling-gun) printer, terrific.

I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?) on
the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after the
wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).
It's later than you think.

Just don't, OK ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 01:57:09 -0000, brass monkey wrote:
I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

That would make sense as that was 8 bit.

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?)
on the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after
the wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).

And Kent Walton commentating. At the end he'd say: "Have a good week till
next week!" and they'd play that staccato introduction to the results
programme.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message om, brass
monkey writes

"brass monkey" wrote in message
aweb.com...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy
Burns writes
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/te...g/08olsen.html

Another one hits the DEC

In 1970 I remember playing Star-trek using a PDP/9 and TeleType 43
(alias
gatling-gun) printer, terrific.

I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?) on
the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after the
wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).
It's later than you think.

Just don't, OK ?

It's a touch worrisome I must admit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GordonD" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 01:57:09 -0000, brass monkey wrote:
I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml

That would make sense as that was 8 bit.

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?)
on the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after
the wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).

And Kent Walton commentating. At the end he'd say: "Have a good week till
next week!" and they'd play that staccato introduction to the results
programme.

This one? -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmqU0I1LzQA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
"GordonD" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 01:57:09 -0000, brass monkey wrote:
I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 -
http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml
That would make sense as that was 8 bit.

Similar to the one bobbing up and down at about 4cps (50/75/110 baud?)
on the ITV football results with Dickie Davies on World of Sport, after
the wrestling (Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet).

And Kent Walton commentating. At the end he'd say: "Have a good week till
next week!" and they'd play that staccato introduction to the results
programme.

This one? -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmqU0I1LzQA

The seventies, sideburns, and ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.radio.amateur,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:30:52 -0800 (PST), alexander.keys1 wrote:

Definitely a design classic, the 444, along with other telecomms/radio
stuff from that time, ...

snip
Do you still use it on air?

Not recently but I still have all the kit it's just not set up. I
think I will have to hand turn the 444 if I ever do get round to
firing it all up again. It hasn't been turned for years and the
grease/oil may have set. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.radio.amateur,uk.tech.broadcast

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:30:52 -0800 (PST), alexander.keys1 wrote:

Definitely a design classic, the 444, along with other telecomms/radio
stuff from that time, ...

snip
Do you still use it on air?

Not recently but I still have all the kit it's just not set up. I
think I will have to hand turn the 444 if I ever do get round to
firing it all up again. It hasn't been turned for years and the
grease/oil may have set. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

You can always use some oil from your Disco sump

;-))

--

DieSea

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.radio.amateur,uk.tech.broadcast

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:30:52 -0800 (PST), alexander.keys1 wrote:

Definitely a design classic, the 444, along with other telecomms/radio
stuff from that time, ...

snip
Do you still use it on air?

Not recently but I still have all the kit it's just not set up. I
think I will have to hand turn the 444 if I ever do get round to
firing it all up again. It hasn't been turned for years and the
grease/oil may have set. B-)

Ah, you wuz spoiled ... gimme a Creed 7B (operated with the covers off,
of course ...)

[Actually did my university project on one of those, working with a PET
....]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

She will never, ever be middle-aged. She wouldn't know how. (Polly Toynbee on
Janet Stree-Porter, in Radio Times, August 1998.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.radio.amateur,uk.tech.broadcast

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:32:33 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Ah, you wuz spoiled ... gimme a Creed 7B (operated with the covers off,
of course ...)

Missed the bit about the Creed 75 that could do 75 baud or the
Teletype Model 28. Covers is for wuzzes... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.radio.amateur,uk.tech.broadcast

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:32:33 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Ah, you wuz spoiled ... gimme a Creed 7B (operated with the covers off,
of course ...)

Missed the bit about the Creed 75 that could do 75 baud or the
Teletype Model 28. Covers is for wuzzes... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Covers are to stop the "Dragon" complaining about noise at 3 in the morning

I had one that ran on 455 and the other that ran on 50

In fact I've still got the gars some where

In the shed I think

That's the reason I moved to a Tonna Theta ;-))))

DieSea

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.radio.amateur,uk.tech.broadcast

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:32:33 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Ah, you wuz spoiled ... gimme a Creed 7B (operated with the covers off,
of course ...)

Missed the bit about the Creed 75 that could do 75 baud or the
Teletype Model 28. Covers is for wuzzes... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Covers are to stop the "Dragon" complaining about noise at 3 in the
morning

I had one that ran on 455 and the other that ran on 50

In fact I've still got the gars some where

In the shed I think

That's the reason I moved to a Tonna Theta ;-))))

DieSea

I was fascinated with all the pictures that could be made on them. Someone
must have gone to alot of trouble in those days to bring such joy to people.
I remeber doing a spitfire on mine, grief, it took all day and most of the
evening to print it out. It was massive when it was put together.
The Creed 444 was my first rtty machine.
Jim