Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stone shower tray

Bought a quadrant stone shower tray from B & Q. Instructions seem a
little over the top and the helpline number is unobtainable! Surprise
surprise!

The instructions suggest the tray be bedded on a wet mix of 5 to 1
sand and cement. This also sounds a bit OTT to me - is it really
necessary, and what is its purpose?

I am fitting the tray raised 4 inches off the chipboard floor to
attach the existing waste. The instructions suggest that it is
important to have an even loading over the whole of the base of the
tray, seeming to indicate that the whole tray should be well supported
even as far as the very edges (not easy with a quadrant design). This
sounds a bit belt and breeches to me, but I would welcome people's
thoughts. I was planning to build a frame of 2 by 4 inch timber and
cover it with 2 layers of 12 mm ply overlapping the frame to support
the straight edges at least.

I could perhaps also support the quadrant edge as well, but that
brings me to my third question - how to fill the curved edge of the
tray open to the bathroom? I was thinking of using T & G (which would
match the bath panel) but can't work out how to fix it to stay
securely in place.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 8:42*am, Keefiedee wrote:
[...]

It is so that if some fat git stands on it, it doesn't break. They
are not that thick in the middle.
You can get special traps to go under shower trays that take up a
minimum of space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 8:46*am, harry wrote:

It is so that if some fat git stands on it, it doesn't break. *They
are not that thick in the middle.
You can get special traps to go under shower trays that take up a
minimum of space.

Further googling has revealed a suggestion of flexible floor tile
adhesive instead of a wet mix. Any thoughts?

Keith

PS - how does answer a psot so that it "shows quoted text" - I've
never been able to work that out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:
On Feb 7, 8:46 am, harry wrote:

It is so that if some fat git stands on it, it doesn't break. They
are not that thick in the middle.
You can get special traps to go under shower trays that take up a
minimum of space.

Further googling has revealed a suggestion of flexible floor tile
adhesive instead of a wet mix. Any thoughts?

Keith

PS - how does answer a psot so that it "shows quoted text" - I've
never been able to work that out?

Depends on what newsreader you're using.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:
Bought a quadrant stone shower tray from B & Q. Instructions seem a
little over the top and the helpline number is unobtainable! Surprise
surprise!

Contact B&Q, they are the ones you have the contract with.

The instructions suggest the tray be bedded on a wet mix of 5 to 1
sand and cement. This also sounds a bit OTT to me - is it really
necessary, and what is its purpose?

I bedded mine using a 13mm thick, 1:6 [1] sem-dry mix on top of a piece of
waterproof 20mm thick plywood fixed to the T&G bathroom floor. It's to
ensure that there is an even loading between the floor and shower base to
prevent cracking and 'rocking'.

I am fitting the tray raised 4 inches off the chipboard floor to
attach the existing waste. The instructions suggest that it is
important to have an even loading over the whole of the base of the
tray, seeming to indicate that the whole tray should be well supported
even as far as the very edges (not easy with a quadrant design).

The ply that I fitted was exactly the same size and shape as the shower and
the cement bedding was also the same size - that's how I managed to easily
support the rather thin edge of the base.

This sounds a bit belt and breeches to me, but I would welcome people's
thoughts. I was planning to build a frame of 2 by 4 inch timber and
cover it with 2 layers of 12 mm ply overlapping the frame to support
the straight edges at least.

Make the frame the same size as the shower base, ensuring that it is well
supported and level and then cut the ply to the same size (there should be a
built-in fall in the shower base itself to the waste fitting for the water
to drain.

I could perhaps also support the quadrant edge as well, but that
brings me to my third question - how to fill the curved edge of the
tray open to the bathroom? I was thinking of using T & G (which would
match the bath panel) but can't work out how to fix it to stay
securely in place.

If you make the frame the same size (and shape) as the shower base, you can
fix your T&G to this - I fixed skirting around my shower base using screws
into the plywood and a bead of No-Nails on the shower base itself.
Ingenuity and some careful thought in construction will help.

[1] 1:6 = 1 of cement and 6 of sand.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee ) wibbled on Monday 07 February 2011 08:42:

[...]

If it means bedding the whole tray, not just the edges (as it sounds like
from what you said) - then I believe you do really want to do this for the
"fat git" reasons mentioned in another post.

I would consider making a WBP ply box to contain the casting, fill that with
the requiste mortar then bed the tray to that. The font and side(s) could be
poppoed off afterwards to allow tiling if required and the base stays put
(and screwed down to the floor joists).

I suspect the tray relies on a min slab underneath it to support it.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Tile adhesive works fine - make sure you use the flexible floor tile
stuff though. Sand/cement is cheaper, but tile adhesive is very easy.

Use 18mm ply rather than the 2 layers of 12mm. It will be more rigid,
so your frame doesn't need to follow the shape as well. Cut the ply to
the same shape as the tray, but about 2 mm smaller (sit the tray on
the ply and draw round it, then remove and cut inside the line)
Build your frame reasonably close to the edges of the ply, but you
won't need to curve it - a couple of inches overhang at some points
will be fine with 18mm ply.

To cover the open edge, I'd use the PVC trim window fitters use -
http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Produ..._ar chitraves
It bends easily to follow the shape of the quadrant, and the finish is
remarkably similar to the stone tray. Silicone it to the tray with
some glue or silicone on the edge of the ply and wherecer your frame
comes close enough to the edge. Once the joint is siliconed, it looks
like part of the tray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:20:44 -0800, andrew wrote:

Tile adhesive works fine - make sure you use the flexible floor tile
stuff though. Sand/cement is cheaper, but tile adhesive is very easy.

I always found it hard to bed the tray down if there was enough mortar mix
to fill the gap - it doesn't squish out of the way very well. Last one I
did I used one-coat plaster made the right consistency for the tray to
settle into it with a reasonable weight on it.

To cover the open edge, I'd use the PVC trim window fitters use -
http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Produ..._ar chitraves
It bends easily to follow the shape of the quadrant, and the finish is
remarkably similar to the stone tray. Silicone it to the tray with
some glue or silicone on the edge of the ply and wherecer your frame
comes close enough to the edge. Once the joint is siliconed, it looks
like part of the tray.

Seconded!

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Produ...PCT=1&U=444&N=...
It bends easily to follow the shape of the quadrant, and the finish is
remarkably similar to the stone tray. Silicone it to the tray with
some glue or silicone on the edge of the ply and wherecer your frame
comes close enough to the edge. Once the joint is siliconed, it looks
like part of the tray.

Many thanks guys - your comments have helped a lot with what feels to
me rather a daunting task.

Keith