Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 of the 5 lights in my chandelier have stopped working?

Any idea why this might happen?

yes, I have tried changing the bulbs!

All 5 did work, then one gave up now a second one has given up the
ghost!

Any suggestions appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johnboy" wrote in message
Any idea why this might happen?

yes, I have tried changing the bulbs!

All 5 did work, then one gave up now a second one has given up the
ghost!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Well, there will be one pair of wires supplying power to the hanging point.
From there, they split to supply each bulb. So you have some failing
connections. The routing, connections, etc. rather depend on the design of
chandelier. Can't you figure how it comes apart? Some more information might
help...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johnboy" wrote in message
Any idea why this might happen?

yes, I have tried changing the bulbs!

All 5 did work, then one gave up now a second one has given up the
ghost!

Any suggestions appreciated.

I had a "cheap" chandelier in a rental house where only some of the bulbs
worked.

It was because the contact in the bulb holder had moved and didn't make
contact properly.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
As already posted really need more info but you can check the following.
If "BC" type lamps check 2 pins in lampholder are free and sprung out
(sometimes 1 sticks in).
If "ES" type lamps check centre connection (as listed can move).
If lamps hang down and holders are brass wiring can overheat and burn out
where terminated in lamp holder.
(also happens in uplighted units)
IGWS don't go poking about with the power on isolate at the mains don't rely
on the lightswitch.
HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an attempt to answer your questions I had a poke around (with the
power off).
There's a decorative loose metal cylinder which sits around the base
of each bulb (and the fitting the bulb screws into).
I swapped some of those around and when I switched the power on again
one of the problematic ones was now working and one of the good ones
had stopped working!
I eventually discovered that by not screwing the bulbs in the
problematic ones all the way all 5 worked.

Fell slightly embarrassed but it's obviously difficult to spot as the
light is off when I change the bulbs.
Anyway many thanks for your suggestions.

Sprinkler stopped working david Home Repair 21 February 8th 10 06:58 AM
Ceramic hob stopped working Sam UK diy 6 February 3rd 09 09:03 AM
half our lights have stopped working - any ideas ? news[_3_] UK diy 20 December 16th 07 04:23 PM
Lights stopped working - help! Rob UK diy 4 November 5th 05 07:41 PM
TV stopped working plz help. Simon Electronics 2 September 29th 04 02:19 PM