Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whistling oil boiler

My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. The
high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up, stays pretty
constant while running and then tapers off after the boiler
extinguishes itself.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I've seen various
suggestions around a build up of limescale, but they seem to normally
be referring to a much lower pitched rumbling sound.

Thanks,
Piers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 8:07*am, Piers Finlayson wrote:
My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. *The
high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up, stays pretty
constant while running and then tapers off after the boiler
extinguishes itself.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? *I've seen various
suggestions around a build up of limescale, but they seem to normally
be referring to a much lower pitched rumbling sound.

Thanks,
Piers

Make and age would help.. Fan motor bearing sounds a possibility.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 8:07*am, Piers Finlayson wrote:
My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. *The
high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up, stays pretty
constant while running and then tapers off after the boiler
extinguishes itself.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? *I've seen various
suggestions around a build up of limescale, but they seem to normally
be referring to a much lower pitched rumbling sound.

Thanks,
Piers

1. Build up of crap on the fan or in the housing
2. Motor bearings failing
3. Problem developing in the oil pump
4. Oil starvation in the feed to the pump caused by clogged filter
element either at the tank, between the tank and the boiler or within
the pump itself
5. Firestop fuel valve almost closed

If it takes 10s after firing it does suggest a fuel starvation problem
as a vacuum builds up in the pump in this time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:07:16 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:

My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. The
high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up,

Define "fireing up" do you mean blower starting or when the ignitor
fires to light the boiler some seconds later?

Thinking that it might a worn jet if it hasn't been serviced/replaced
every year or so. Though I'd expect that to stop PDQ after the blower
stops.

Kettling due to scale can be quite high frequency but I wouldn't call
that sound a "whistle", ie a single tone, it's more high freqency
noise.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-02-02 12:57:53 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:07:16 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:

My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. The
high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up,

A Mistral Diamond. No idea of age, but instructions dated 2000.

Define "fireing up" do you mean blower starting or when the ignitor
fires to light the boiler some seconds later?

The latter (i.e. after the whumpf - a techincal term).

Thinking that it might a worn jet if it hasn't been serviced/replaced
every year or so. Though I'd expect that to stop PDQ after the blower
stops.

The jets haven't been serviced or replaced for a few years. Whistling
stops fairly quickly but not instantly - fades away over the course of
a few seconds. Of course it's not doing it now.

Kettling due to scale can be quite high frequency but I wouldn't call
that sound a "whistle", ie a single tone, it's more high freqency
noise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 2:35*pm, Piers Finlayson wrote:
On 2011-02-02 12:57:53 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

[...]

noise.- Hide quoted text -

A worn jet usually causes poor atomisation leading to loss of
efficiency due to degraded combustion and eventually soots up the
boiler. Not servicing an oil boiler is false economy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-02-02 12:57:53 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:07:16 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:

My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. The
high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up,

A Mistral Diamond. No idea of age, but instructions dated 2000.

Define "fireing up" do you mean blower starting or when the ignitor
fires to light the boiler some seconds later?

The latter (i.e. after the whumpf - a techincal term).

Our propane-burning forced-air furnace sometimes does it, too, but not
always. As it's not consistent I've always assumed it's something to do
with atmospheric conditions (temperature, moisture content in the
combustion air etc.) rather than any kind of fault, but maybe it really
is a maintenance issue... (the furnace control board never displays any
kind of fault condition)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-02-02 12:57:53 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:07:16 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:

My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. The
high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up,

A Mistral Diamond. No idea of age, but instructions dated 2000.

Define "fireing up" do you mean blower starting or when the ignitor
fires to light the boiler some seconds later?

The latter (i.e. after the whumpf - a techincal term).

Is that a Metric whumpf or an Imperial whumpf?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

IF ITS OIL FIRED ITS THE TUBING FROM OIL TANK TO FUEL PUMP WRAP THEM WITH 3/8TH RUBBER GAS LINE HOSE IT WILL STOP IT BE SURE DO COVER FULL LEGNTH OF TUBING.IT WORKED FOR ME ON NEW INSTALL

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-685558-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2020 20:15, G wrote:
IF ITS OIL FIRED ITS THE TUBING FROM OIL TANK TO FUEL PUMP WRAP THEM
WITH 3/8TH RUBBER GAS LINE HOSE IT WILL STOP IT BE SURE DO COVER FULL
LEGNTH OF TUBING.IT WORKED FOR ME ON NEW INSTALL

He's probably sorted it out in the last 9 years. BTW your caps lock is
stuck.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 20:15:02 +0000, G wrote:

IF ITS OIL FIRED ITS THE TUBING FROM OIL TANK TO FUEL PUMP WRAP THEM
WITH 3/8TH RUBBER GAS LINE HOSE IT WILL STOP IT BE SURE DO COVER FULL
LEGNTH OF TUBING.IT WORKED FOR ME ON NEW INSTALL

They've probably managed to sort it out in the last nine years.

Whistling TRV The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 10 February 8th 10 09:47 AM
Whistling Boiler TheScullster UK diy 7 May 6th 06 12:51 PM
why isnt my whistling kettle whistling anymore? ODB Home Repair 10 June 29th 05 02:14 AM
Whistling Chimney [email protected] UK diy 8 December 29th 04 02:04 PM
Whistling Boiler anon UK diy 4 December 2nd 03 09:55 PM