Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideas for fireplace

Hi all,

I'm after some artistic ideas, re my fireplace:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...in/2009-12-12-
img_0050.jpg.html

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...in/2009-12-12-
img_0051.jpg.html

I know I'll get a million suggestions, but that's fine... They will give me
some inspiration.

It's a tight little setup - nowt could be done other that have the fire
forward of the opening which I didn't want (it's sort of in front of the
main doorway).

So - I need to present that ugly little hole a bit better - frame it off if
you like.

SWMBO has decreed that we will have a mantle shelf of solid wood "invisibly"
fixed to the wall fairly high over the fire - no problem with that - I like
it. Let's assume the shelf will be most of or even the full width of the
breast...

Happy to paint the top half of the breast - but what for the bottom?

So far:

1) I suggested a small cast iron frame style surround - fairly flat - they
have old rusty ones down the road that would clean up nice - but she does
not approve...

2) Run a set of fireplace tiles round. Maybe.

3) (Her suggestion) tile the whole area under the shelf. Could work. She has
suggested rough stonework but in this house, that will probably look a tad
fake. I've suggested raw brick tiles, following the underlying structure
(which I've seen - there's a "soldier brick flat-arch" (not sure if that's
the right name) over the opening - I rather like the idea of presenting all
of this visually on the surface. Before you say, the underlying bricks are
too crap visually to present in the buff...

She doesn't like this.

So I wondered if anyone has seen other ways of dressing a fireplace that has
a hint of "old" but not "mediaeval" - this is a 1950's house so too
"antique" would be a bit crass.

Wood is out that close to the opening as it gets damned hot (not to mention
regs).

The inside is rough rendered with lime render and whitewashed - needs
another coat as the fire fitting dirtied it up.

I did even wonder about dressing some angle iron as a frame - angle grinder
to wibble the edges or something funky, then paint it stove black.

I don't know - I'm not very good at arty stuff!

All ideas, not matter how wacky appreciated

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 31/01/11 21:31, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

If tiles take them round the sides of the chimney breast; make it 3D rather
than a funny little hole in what looks like a flat wall. Perhaps take the
shelf round the sides too, or at least a decorative moulded edge to the
shelf that continues round the sides.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc ) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 22:06:

If tiles take them round the sides of the chimney breast; make it 3D
rather than a funny little hole in what looks like a flat wall. Perhaps
take the shelf round the sides too, or at least a decorative moulded edge
to the shelf that continues round the sides.

Hi,

Did you mean take the tiles round inside or the outside? [1]

Wood - outside obviously.

I like the concept - "3D"... Now, to the left of the breast will be a sink -
so having a half depth continuation of the shelf would make a lot sense -
somewhere to put a put the the washing up brushes etc. The right has the
fridge - but there is a foot wide gap there that is available for
arty/storage purposes - and it is an idea niche for the steps - so running a
shelf round there would be at the right height.

Or it might be a bit "cluttered" and I might to better to "box" the storage
in (slim cupboard door or something). But the 3D could be assymetric - left
side only, with just a hint to the right.

I'll have to try some stuff with sketchup but it has broadened the options
somewhat.

It's tricky because I have the space I have and function is decided before
form in our house...

I was going to tile the left side of the breast "all kitchen" but I could
wrap the fronting tiles round one tile - that would provide some interesting
contrast and definition.

[1] If I find myself using any tiles that are available in l-shaped external
corner format, I could wrap the tiles a couple of inches into the fireplace,
if they and the adhesive are heatproof - I think I' best use proper cement
adhesive, but that might provide a 3D into the hole without impeding the air
gap around the stove.

In an ideal world, the hole would be 12" wider for that stove, but that
would have required a lot of work to re-lintel the opening - so we make do
with what we have...

For the layout of the room it actually looks OK - it looks worse in the
photos. The hole is ragged and bare, and my gut says it will shape up nicely
if I get the framing right

But thanks for that most excellent suggestion - exactly the sort of lateral
thinking I'm after

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default English Ideas for fireplace

The typical englishman (with poor dentition) seeks out a moss-covered hovel
in Sherwood Forest, the same place Robin Hood and his fairy men cornholed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm after some artistic ideas, re my fireplace:

I changed this
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10464

To this http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10475

I struck lucky by finding the oak surround at the local dump! £10 to stig
and it was mine :-)

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Hi all,

I'm after some artistic ideas, re my fireplace:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...in/2009-12-12-
img_0050.jpg.html

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...in/2009-12-12-
img_0051.jpg.html

I know I'll get a million suggestions, but that's fine... They will give me
some inspiration.

Hmm.. It is a bit of a functional mouse hole:-)

I'll see if I can get some photos up of ours. One started off as an 18"
fire opening in what turned out to be a Victorian range space.

An imitation Bressemer beam might meet her approval. Z section
fabricated out of 30mm or so Oak. Top for projecting mantle, vertical
recessed into render and the bottom, short and tucked into the opening.

I suspect visual appearance needs to be closer to what might be expected
in your vintage of house. We successfully took out an awful tiled
panoramic fireplace from an Edwardian house and replaced with a
redbrick, floor to ceiling facade. Not all *improvements* gel with the
*ambience* of the rest of the house:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike ) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February 2011
08:41:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm after some artistic ideas, re my fireplace:

I changed this
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10464

To this http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10475

I struck lucky by finding the oak surround at the local dump! �10 to stig
and it was mine :-)

Mike

That is seriously nice!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm after some artistic ideas, re my fireplace:

I changed this
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10464

To this http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10475

I struck lucky by finding the oak surround at the local dump! �10 to stig
and it was mine :-)

So he's branching out now, then....

I suppose he needs the money now he's been sacked. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm after some artistic ideas, re my fireplace:

I changed this
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10464

To this
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10475

I struck lucky by finding the oak surround at the local dump! ?10 to
stig
and it was mine :-)

So he's branching out now, then....

I suppose he needs the money now he's been sacked. ;-)

Sadly our Stig has also been sacked now. The dump, sorry refuse recycling
centre, is now bristling with security cameras and run by staff who won't
allow anything out of the gate:-) I also have to have a pass now to go in
with my 40 year old soft top Land Rover as they class it as commercial!

I needed about 5 yards of 18 inch wide netting a few months ago and whilst
dumping some rubble the guy with the car next to me was dumping an unused
roll which must have had 20 yards on it. I said to him he should throw it
into my car instead of the skip, but the staff would not have it. They
insisted that having been seen coming out of a car by the camera they would
be sacked if they allowed it out of the yard.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 21:31, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

My suggestion would be either Delft tiles inside and around the
recess, or a cast iron surround of a suitable size, via architectural
antiques at your friendly eBay. I've re-read what you wrote and see
that the latter suggestion has already been ruled out. Will continue
to ponder.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Mike- Hide quoted text -

Maybe should have offered the bloke a fiver to put it back in his own
car and meet you outside. I've given up trying to take things at our
tip since one of the staff had a word with me after I removed a
dismantled pine table from the wood skip. He was very apologetic and
let me take it, and some refurbishment later it now sits in our
kitchen.

Then again if it was easier I'd be up there all day with my trailer,
claiming wood for the stove I'm putting in this year.

Cheers
Richard