Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 54mm OD (soil/drain) solvent-weld pipe - will push-fitswork

The plumber who did our bathroom plumbed all the drains (basin, bath,
bidet, shower) on the outside of the house using solvent-eld fittings
and 54mm OD (as I measured it) pipe. This runs into the stack where
this is a strap on boss which is also solvent welded in place. He left
no access points. There is now a blockage and I need to take this lot
apart and i'd like to leave it so it can be dismantled again easily.

Can I expect 'push-fit' connectors to mate OK with standard 54mm
solvent-weld pipe or will there be trouble?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL ) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 13:37:

The plumber who did our bathroom plumbed all the drains (basin, bath,
bidet, shower) on the outside of the house using solvent-eld fittings
and 54mm OD (as I measured it) pipe. This runs into the stack where
this is a strap on boss which is also solvent welded in place. He left
no access points. There is now a blockage and I need to take this lot
apart and i'd like to leave it so it can be dismantled again easily.

Can I expect 'push-fit' connectors to mate OK with standard 54mm
solvent-weld pipe or will there be trouble?

Robert

Hi

Push fit is not compatible (different dia) - but compression is, being
universal. The stuff with the big rubber washer and plastic nut - that'll
work.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

It's as Tim says, but it's best to make sure that it's not the traps that
aren't blocked
before you cut into the pipes outside. or you could try drain acid if you
can get to an
open pipe ie remove a trap, but be carefull it's deadly stuff.
good luck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 1:37*pm, RobertL wrote:
The plumber who did our bathroom plumbed all the drains (basin, bath,
bidet, shower) on the outside of the house using solvent-eld fittings
and 54mm OD (as *I measured it) pipe. * This runs into the stack where
this is a strap on boss which is also solvent welded in place. He left
no access points. *There is now a blockage and I need to take this lot
apart and i'd like to leave it so it can be dismantled again easily.

Can I expect 'push-fit' connectors to mate OK with standard 54mm
solvent-weld pipe or will there be trouble?

Robert

The above is correct. First I would try to pump the system with a
plunger, there are a few here.
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...kingdrains.htm
Nine times out of ten this fixes it with not much effort.
Just fill up the sink with water and put the plunger in position over
the drain and work it up and down as hard as you can, the hydraulic
effect usually clears the blockage.
If not, check the traps.
Only then think about dismantling anything.
This modern plastic pipe doesn't block much if correctly installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 1:37*pm, RobertL wrote:
The plumber who did our bathroom plumbed all the drains (basin, bath,
bidet, shower) on the outside of the house using solvent-eld fittings
and 54mm OD (as *I measured it) pipe. * This runs into the stack where
this is a strap on boss which is also solvent welded in place. He left
no access points. *There is now a blockage and I need to take this lot
apart and i'd like to leave it so it can be dismantled again easily.

Can I expect 'push-fit' connectors to mate OK with standard 54mm
solvent-weld pipe or will there be trouble?

Robert

Plunger, then treat with "One Shot".
If that fails, cut into the waste and re-join with universal
compression coupling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:31:07 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Just fill up the sink with water and put the plunger in position over
the drain and work it up and down as hard as you can, the hydraulic
effect usually clears the blockage.

Assuming that you can build up some pressure. There are four things
connected to this one waste outlet, if the blockage is post a
junction between any two of them all you do with the plunger is shove
the water in the trap(s) up and down... That little bit of
pressure/movement is unlikely to unblock anything.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:31:07 -0800, harry wrote:

The above is correct. First I would try to pump the system with a
plunger, there are a few here.
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...kingdrains.htm
Nine times out of ten this fixes it with not much effort.
Just fill up the sink with water and put the plunger in position over
the drain and work it up and down as hard as you can, the hydraulic
effect usually clears the blockage.

If you've got a wet and dry vac try that: it's easier to seal overflows
and other connections to the system (rags placed over holes get sucked
tight onto them instead of blowing off etc) and having the vac continually
sucking instead of a momentary pulse of pressure from a plunger can get
stuff dislodged where it's stuck in a viscous goo in the pipes.

You also avoid the risk of blowing apart push-fit or poorly-tightened
compression fittings.

Bad on your installer not fitting an access point. Trouble with solvent
weld is it's often hard to cut away a s-welded joint and leave any usable
pipe, e.g. where a fitting is on a bit of pipe mortared into a wall. You
may be better off cough! improvising an access cap connection into an
existing s-w elbow if you really need an access point. If you cut a hole
in the existing fitting and cut up a suitable fitting that takes an access
cap and get the mating surfaces flush with each other then solvent-weld
them together you should end up with something as good as if it was made
that way.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The rain, it rains upon the Just, and on the Unjust fella
But more upon the Just because the Unjust's got the Just's umbrella
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thank you all for your help.

I have taken the traps apart and found nothing much. I'll try
plunging and then some chemical approach. if all that fails I think
I'll cut the four down pipes so I can rejoin with compression
fittings.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 1:13*pm, YAPH wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:31:07 -0800, harry wrote:

Bad on your installer not fitting an access point. Trouble with solvent
weld is it's often hard to cut away a s-welded joint and leave any usable
pipe,

I'm lucky that the downgoing bit outside is about a foot long so I can
cut it leaving enough for a fitting.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 5:21*pm, RobertL wrote:
thank you all for your help.

I have taken the traps apart and found nothing much. * I'll try
plunging and then some chemical approach. *if all that fails I think
I'll cut the four down pipes so I can rejoin with compression
fittings.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Robert

There is one other option before sawing it apart that I've found works
more often than not, and that's drilling a 4mm access hole and rodding
with iron wire. Its very quick & easy, ditto repairing the hole
afterwards.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...nblock_a_Drain

NT

Solvent weld waste pipe (again) Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 20 June 10th 10 08:29 AM
Solvent weld joints for waste pipe Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 5 June 1st 10 02:44 PM
Solvent weld pipe ? Arfa Daily UK diy 13 June 4th 08 02:09 AM
Flexible waste pipe to solvent weld..? Matt UK diy 9 July 30th 06 09:49 PM
Solvent-weld waste pipe Lobster UK diy 8 August 11th 05 12:39 PM