Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default Flexible waste pipe to solvent weld..?

Will the spigot on a 40mm flexible waste pipe
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=27334) connect to a
solvent weld pipe?

Your comments are appreciated

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article . com,
Matt writes
Will the spigot on a 40mm flexible waste pipe
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=27334) connect to a
solvent weld pipe?

The fact that it has a compression fitting at the other end and is grouped
with compression stuff suggests not, the ones I have seen have a greasy
feel that suggests polyprop (pushfit/compression) rather than abs/upvc
(solvent). Nothing to stop you using a compression coupler to join to a
solvent weld pipe or there are solvent to compression boss adaptors if that
is where you are going.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Matt wrote:

Will the spigot on a 40mm flexible waste pipe
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=27334) connect to a
solvent weld pipe?

Your comments are appreciated

Yes, that is what the "universal" bit is all about - the female end will
mate with any type of pipe. However this does not mean that the male end
will be made from the right type of plastic to go directly into a
solvent weld fitting.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

So a universal compression WILL connect to standard solvent weld pipe?

I've inherited a box of bits that's full of odd sized stuff - it's
confusing me!

Cheers.

John Rumm wrote:
Matt wrote:

Will the spigot on a 40mm flexible waste pipe
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=27334) connect to a
solvent weld pipe?

Your comments are appreciated

Yes, that is what the "universal" bit is all about - the female end will
mate with any type of pipe. However this does not mean that the male end
will be made from the right type of plastic to go directly into a
solvent weld fitting.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

fred wrote:
The fact that it has a compression fitting at the other end and is

grouped
with compression stuff suggests not, the ones I have seen have a greasy
feel that suggests polyprop (pushfit/compression) rather than abs/upvc
(solvent).

The fact that it says "Compression 1 end, spigot at other. Not for use
with push-fit fittings" suggests the opposite, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Matt wrote:
So a universal compression WILL connect to standard solvent weld pipe?

I've inherited a box of bits that's full of odd sized stuff - it's
confusing me!

I was under the impression that solvent weld pipe was a slightly
different diameter to standard pushfit pipe and as such the fittings for
each type are *not* interchangeable??

David

John Rumm wrote:
Matt wrote:

Will the spigot on a 40mm flexible waste pipe
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=27334) connect to a
solvent weld pipe?

Your comments are appreciated

Yes, that is what the "universal" bit is all about - the female end will
mate with any type of pipe. However this does not mean that the male end
will be made from the right type of plastic to go directly into a
solvent weld fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Lobster wrote:
Matt wrote:
So a universal compression WILL connect to standard solvent weld pipe?

I've inherited a box of bits that's full of odd sized stuff - it's
confusing me!

I was under the impression that solvent weld pipe was a slightly
different diameter to standard pushfit pipe and as such the fittings for
each type are *not* interchangeable??

David

It's a slightly different size, but compression fittings work with
pushfit and solvent.

Hepworth do a flexi pipe with solvent spigots - called hepflex
(bes.ltd.uk part number 15112)
They also do it in kit form so you can make it up to any length with
solvent on one end and push fit on the other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Lobster wrote:
Matt wrote:

So a universal compression WILL connect to standard solvent weld pipe?

I've inherited a box of bits that's full of odd sized stuff - it's
confusing me!

I was under the impression that solvent weld pipe was a slightly
different diameter to standard pushfit pipe and as such the fittings for
each type are *not* interchangeable??

That is true, you can't use solvent weld fittings on push fit pipe or
vice versa, however you can use a universal compression on either type.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Will the spigot on a 40mm flexible waste pipe
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=27334) connect to a
solvent weld pipe?

Your comments are appreciated

you can get solvent weld flexi, but it is super dear, comes with whirlpool
bath systems.

mrcheerful