Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floplast "antivac" bottle trap - any secrets ?

In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 8:57 pm, Jethro wrote:
In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?

dump it and get a HepVO - Ebay abt £10

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro writes:
In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Did you actually fill all the traps with water?

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?

I've used them a number of times, with no problems (don't know what
make, but I think they came from BES).

Does the smell come from the AAV?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 8:57*pm, Jethro wrote:
In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?

Look at how the antivac bit works, and you'll never buy another. A
biro and a cable tie does the same job. 1 minute for £3.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 8:57*pm, Jethro wrote:
In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?

Anything with moving parts in a drain is asking for future trouble.
Get a much cheaper "deep seal" trap. It has a water seal 75mm deep.
Even if it is sucked out, enough water remains to keep the seal
intact.
Obviously they need more space beneath the appliance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 9:42*am, harry wrote:
On Jan 24, 8:57*pm, Jethro wrote:

In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?

Anything with moving parts in a drain is asking for future trouble.
Get a much cheaper "deep seal" trap. *It has a water seal 75mm deep.
Even if it is sucked out, enough water remains to keep the seal
intact.
Obviously they need more space beneath the appliance.

There are no moving parts in this trap. The only difference between
it, and the trap it replaced is a hollow tube which runs up through
the centre ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 9:39*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Jethro writes:

In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Did you actually fill all the traps with water?

well I filled the sink, then emptied it again ... and have run water
through it ...

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?

I've used them a number of times, with no problems (don't know what
make, but I think they came from BES).

Does the smell come from the AAV?

yes

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 9:54*am, Jethro wrote:
On Jan 25, 9:42*am, harry wrote:

On Jan 24, 8:57*pm, Jethro wrote:

[...]

Are you getting positive pressure in the pipe somehow
Is the water too low in the trap
Is the trap is done up cross threaded
Or is there something unusually evil before the trap

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro writes:
On Jan 25, 9:42*am, harry wrote:
On Jan 24, 8:57*pm, Jethro wrote:

[...]

I'm struggling to imagine what you're using. In pictures of a
Floplast, I can't see any AAV mechanism, but maybe it's hidden
inside?

I found a picture of the AAV's I use
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...trap.jpg?stc=1
There is a moving part in the AAV, which is the one-way air valve
diaphram with a post on the bottom to keep it in place. The post
sticks out of the bottom of the AAV, and you can see it move up
when the valve is sucked open by a vacuum in the pipe.

If the diaphram is missing, then there is no valve and the sewer
pipe will be open to the room. You can unscrew the top of the AAV
and see if the guts are missing.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 5:52*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Jethro writes:

I found a picture of the AAV's I usehttp://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/a/12211d1221468609-air-admit...
There is a moving part in the AAV, which is the one-way air valve
diaphram with a post on the bottom to keep it in place. The post
sticks out of the bottom of the AAV, and you can see it move up
when the valve is sucked open by a vacuum in the pipe.

If the diaphram is missing, then there is no valve and the sewer
pipe will be open to the room. You can unscrew the top of the AAV
and see if the guts are missing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
[email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]- Hide quoted text -

it's similar, but it lacks the little bit coming off the horizontal
outlet. However, compared to the one I took off, it has a hollow tube
*inside* where the water sits. No valves, no moving parts. I really
haven't applied any brainpower, or dusted off my A level physics to
work out what's going on ... I just wanted it to work. That said, I
have taken it off, and put the old one back. Assuming there's no smell
in the next day or two, I've isolated the problem, and will see how
it's *supposed* to work. And if I get that far I'll locate my USB
cable for the phone, and post some piccies ... my next laptop will
have bluetooth ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm struggling to imagine what you're using. In pictures of a
Floplast, I can't see any AAV mechanism, but maybe it's hidden
inside?

I found a picture of the AAV's I usehttp://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/a/12211d1221468609-air-admit...
There is a moving part in the AAV, which is the one-way air valve
diaphram with a post on the bottom to keep it in place. The post
sticks out of the bottom of the AAV, and you can see it move up
when the valve is sucked open by a vacuum in the pipe.

If the diaphram is missing, then there is no valve and the sewer
pipe will be open to the room. You can unscrew the top of the AAV
and see if the guts are missing.

it's similar, but it lacks the little bit coming off the horizontal
outlet.

Well, that is the AAV. Without that, it's just a bottle trap.