Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Floplast "antivac" bottle trap - any secrets ?

On Jan 25, 9:54*am, Jethro wrote:
On Jan 25, 9:42*am, harry wrote:

On Jan 24, 8:57*pm, Jethro wrote:

In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe
outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was
delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do
the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least
I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly
something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no
instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my
luck - faulty ?

Anything with moving parts in a drain is asking for future trouble.
Get a much cheaper "deep seal" trap. *It has a water seal 75mm deep.
Even if it is sucked out, enough water remains to keep the seal
intact.
Obviously they need more space beneath the appliance.

There are no moving parts in this trap. The only difference between
it, and the trap it replaced is a hollow tube which runs up through
the centre ...

Are you getting positive pressure in the pipe somehow
Is the water too low in the trap
Is the trap is done up cross threaded
Or is there something unusually evil before the trap

NT