Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default High frequency fluorescent lamps very sensitive to switch bounce - any cure?

I have a couple of 5ft HF fluorescent lamps which frequently fail to
start when I switch them on. At first I thought I had a faulty switch
which wasn't turning on but after a while I decided that it was switch
bounce causing the problem.

If I push the switches carefully, or at least in a way that I guess
will stop them bouncing, the lights come on OK. However I'm not a
perfect switch de-bouncer and neither are other users. Once not
started the lights don't re-try, they simply stay off until I switch
off for a few seconds and then re-try.

A change of switch has improved things a little but it's still far
from perfect.

Can anyone advise a way around this problem, probably the best answer
is a non-bouncing switch as I don't particularly want to replace the
lights.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
I have a couple of 5ft HF fluorescent lamps which frequently fail to
start when I switch them on. At first I thought I had a faulty switch
which wasn't turning on but after a while I decided that it was switch
bounce causing the problem.

If I push the switches carefully, or at least in a way that I guess
will stop them bouncing, the lights come on OK. However I'm not a
perfect switch de-bouncer and neither are other users. Once not
started the lights don't re-try, they simply stay off until I switch
off for a few seconds and then re-try.

A change of switch has improved things a little but it's still far
from perfect.

Can anyone advise a way around this problem, probably the best answer
is a non-bouncing switch as I don't particularly want to replace the
lights.

I would say a dodgy switch, or light fittings that aren't fit for purpose.

Did you mean switch(es)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 12, 5:40*pm, wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
wrote:
I have a couple of 5ft HF fluorescent lamps which frequently fail to
start when I switch them on. *At first I thought I had a faulty switch
which wasn't turning on but after a while I decided that it was switch
bounce causing the problem.

If I push the switches carefully, or at least in a way that I guess
will stop them bouncing, the lights come on OK. *However I'm not a
perfect switch de-bouncer and neither are other users. *Once not
started the lights don't re-try, they simply stay off until I switch
off for a few seconds and then re-try.

A change of switch has improved things a little but it's still far
from perfect.

Can anyone advise a way around this problem, probably the best answer
is a non-bouncing switch as I don't particularly want to replace the
lights.

My experience has been that intermittent working can be the first sign
of a failing switch... If careful operation can get it to work, that's a
second sign.

As I pointed out "A change of switch has improved things a little",
it's now a brand new switch. *The 'old' switch is fine when used to
switch other lights, I've tried it.

The problem is with the ballast, no point blaming a perfectly
functional switch. Solution involves either replacing the ballasts or
showing us the circuit diagram of them, and perhaps someone will have
an idea how to improve it.

NT

Fluorescent lamps Tim Watts UK diy 8 July 10th 10 10:32 AM
Experiments with Alternate Currents of High Potential and High Frequency, by Nikola Tesla default Electronic Schematics 0 November 2nd 07 12:58 AM
wiring 8 separate fluorescent lamps, each with a switch, does each need its own ballast? Yes Duffy MCP/M.Arch Home Repair 5 October 13th 07 03:49 AM
radio frequency trips GFI, is there a cure? FireBrick Home Repair 10 September 6th 07 03:42 PM
where to buy high frequency fluorescent fittings online/mail order? John Stumbles UK diy 11 December 13th 05 10:22 AM