Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Low-key' door closer?

Problem of the day...

We have a detached garage used for routine storage (contains fridge,
freezer etc) which means that people are forever going in and out of the
back door of the house to fetch and carry stuff; because they are
fetching/carrying the back door is always left wide open for the
duration (OK - we're talking SWMBO and the kids here, so if it's them,
the bloody door is always left open, full stop). Drives me nuts as a
cold draft wafts through the house every time.

Trouble is than even with no wind whatsoever, the door falls open rather
than closed by default. No doubt the door could be hung better, to make
it close by default but reckon that's beyond me. So I'm wondering, is
there some form of very mild springy type affair i could attach to the
door to achieve the same aim? Note that I'm definitely *not* after a
formal door closer - that would definitely not be "allowed"! Just
something to help the default door position change from 'fully open' to
'just ajar'...

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
So I'm wondering, is
there some form of very mild springy type affair i could attach to the
door to achieve the same aim?

Rising butt hinges,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73685/
or a concealed closer
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12108/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
om...
In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
So I'm wondering, is
there some form of very mild springy type affair i could attach to the
door to achieve the same aim?

Rising butt hinges,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73685/
or a concealed closer
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12108/

The problem with the concealed closer is that the spring effect is less as
the door closes so it may not resist the wind. Greater as it is fully opened
possibly leading to complaints about the door fighting back. A "formal"
proper closer usually saves some of the energy to give the door a final firm
close (if properly set up - many aren't)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2011 14:12, John wrote:
wrote in message
om...
In , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
So I'm wondering, is
there some form of very mild springy type affair i could attach to the
door to achieve the same aim?

Rising butt hinges,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73685/
or a concealed closer
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12108/

The problem with the concealed closer is that the spring effect is less as
the door closes so it may not resist the wind. Greater as it is fully opened
possibly leading to complaints about the door fighting back. A "formal"
proper closer usually saves some of the energy to give the door a final firm
close (if properly set up - many aren't)

Yes the 'fighting back' thing is what wouldn't be acceptable
unfortunately: TBH anything which makes the door perform 'differently'
won't really cut the mustard.

Rising butt hinges, though - intriguing: I though they were just
intended to clear floor coverings, though the logic makes sense he
how much of a 'gravity' effect would they impart I wonder?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

How about one of those bungee cords?
Or a couple of them hooked together.
They will pull the door back.

Just a thought .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 2:12*pm, "John" wrote:
"Skipweasel" wrote in message

om...

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
*So I'm wondering, is
there some form of very mild springy type affair i could attach to the
door to achieve the same aim?

Rising butt hinges,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73685/
or a concealed closer
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12108/

The problem with the concealed closer is that the spring effect is less as
the door closes so it may not resist the wind. Greater as it is fully opened
possibly leading to complaints about the door fighting back. A "formal"
proper closer usually saves some of the energy to give the door a final firm
close (if properly set up - many aren't)

I have some of the above. They are ajustable, though it's awkward. You
can fit more than one of them too. The main problem is that they are
undamped. (Door slams shut)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
Rising butt hinges, though - intriguing: I though they were just
intended to clear floor coverings, though the logic makes sense he
how much of a 'gravity' effect would they impart I wonder?

Probably enough provided the wind isn't up.

Our back gate has a falling log pulling on a rope over a pulley.
Constant force at the door, much like a rising butt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

[...]

You're looking for the wrong solution. The real problem is that you're
storing stuff in the garage which you need frequent access to. Would it
not be more sensible to move the fridge and freezer back into the house,
and instead to move other storage from the house to the garage, which you
use less frequently? There's bound to be plenty of it. It's just that
because you use it infrequently it's more difficult to think of it.

If the problem is that your door is not well hung, drawing a big willy on
it might help. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2011 15:57, Donwill wrote:
On 1/9/2011 4:13 PM, The Medway Handyman wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message ...

Trouble is than even with no wind whatsoever, the door falls open rather
than closed by default. No doubt the door could be hung better, to make
it close by default but reckon that's beyond me. So I'm wondering, is
there some form of very mild springy type affair i could attach to the
door to achieve the same aim? Note that I'm definitely *not* after a
formal door closer - that would definitely not be "allowed"! Just
something to help the default door position change from 'fully open' to
'just ajar'...

With a 'proper' door closer like these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safe.../sd2774/p72799
you can adjust the 'close' and 'latch' speeds to suit the application.

But don't even those type, even when set on 'minimum' force offer
significant resistance against being opened/closed - as nicely described
as 'fighting back' by another poster? Unfortunately that really
wouldn't be acceptable here...

A weight, two small plastic pulleys and a length of fishing line, adjust
the weight as necessary.

I really like the idea of that concept - in principle that's just what's
needed. Will think about how I could put that into practice but not
sure it would be feasible - door is inside a recess, the pulleys/weight
would need to be outside in the narrow, pebbledashed walkway between
house and garage and can't quite see where it could go.

One idea I was wondering about was attaching some suitably stiff rubber
or similar over the hinge gap, which gets bent double as the door opens,
and exerts force on the door by trying to straighten itself out again?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2011 23:09, Ronald Raygun wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Good thought, and actually tried that route during the summer
rationalising our storage solutions and its helped a bit; however the
garage contains our 'overflow' fridge and freezer (plus storage of
sundry bulk-buy consumables) we've already got one of each in the house,
and short of completely redesigning the kitchen/utility room there's
nowhere to fit them, or (better) bigger versions of the models we
already have. Once the three gannets (sorry. teenagers) have flown the
nest, the problem should resolve itself...

If the problem is that your door is not well hung, drawing a big willy on
it might help. :-)

Good one, I'll take the digital camera upstairs tonight. Fortunately
the lens has a wide-angle setting...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 13:33:19 +0000, Lobster wrote:

[...]

I put something similar to this on our lounge door.
http://www.gibcloser.com/door.htm

Rather basic, but does the job. As we have house rabbits, I didn't want it
to slam the door, in case one of them was in the way at the wrong time -
but it was possible to set it so that it neither resists opening
significantly, nor closes too hard.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronald Raygun wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Would it not be be more sensible to store the wife and kids in the garage?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2011 23:20, Lobster wrote:

With a 'proper' door closer like these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safe.../sd2774/p72799

you can adjust the 'close' and 'latch' speeds to suit the application.

But don't even those type, even when set on 'minimum' force offer
significant resistance against being opened/closed - as nicely described
as 'fighting back' by another poster? Unfortunately that really wouldn't
be acceptable here...

They don't seem to. There's one on the outer door of the building housing
my holiday flat, and that seems to open easily enough.

One idea I was wondering about was attaching some suitably stiff rubber
or similar over the hinge gap, which gets bent double as the door opens,
and exerts force on the door by trying to straighten itself out again?

Rather than that, why not use a conventional gate spring like this:?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...hbutton=submit

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 13:33:19 +0000, Lobster wrote:

No doubt the door could be hung better, to make it close by default but
reckon that's beyond me.

From what you havs said in other responses rehanging the door might
be the better option. Though the cylinder and bar closers do work and
can be very gentle in action. The wear in the channel on the door
that the bar rests in can be problematical.

The default opening of the door is just the hinges not being
vertically aligned both in the direction of the pathway through the
door and/or inline with the frame. I would hope the frame is vertical
so it should just be a case if realigning the hinges a fraction. To
default closed I think the top hinge needs to be slightly further
into the frame than the bottom, I do mean slightly as well just a mm
or two. If I'm wrong I'm sure some one will come along with the
correct information shortly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wire in a switch that cuts out the TV when the door's open.
I guarantee it will be kept closed.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2011 11:20, John wrote:
Wire in a switch that cuts out the TV when the door's open.
I guarantee it will be kept closed.

John

Nice one! If you're feeling kind, you can build in a delay of a couple
of minutes so that the TV doesn't go off *immediately* when you open the
door.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 16:13:09 -0000, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

With a 'proper' door closer like these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safe.../sd2774/p72799 you can adjust the 'close' and 'latch' speeds to suit the application.

Dave - how are those adjusted? I have one and it would be useful to
reduce the pressure on it. The maker's catalogue (at
http://www.dande.info/PDF_Catalogue/...-%20001-08.pdf)
doesn't show any model with the hexagonal orifice at the ends.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
I put something similar to this on our lounge door.
http://www.gibcloser.com/door.htm

If I did that I'd also have to fit a cat flap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 1:33*pm, Lobster wrote:

We have a detached garage used for routine storage (contains fridge,
freezer etc) which means that people are forever going in and out of the
back door of the house to fetch and carry stuff; because they are
fetching/carrying the back door is always left wide open for the
duration

Weight and string, attached as far out on the door as is practical. It
has the advantage compared to a spring that the force is constant
throughout the door's arc. Most spring arrangements are quite non
linear.

Best of all though is a 1960s school firedoor closer - big old cast
iron hydraulic job. They have damping too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:56:06 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:

There's one on a door in a church near here which appears to be
contemporary with the church, which was put up by Thomas Telford in the
late 1700s. It's got a little brass wheel on the end of the arm and
seems to be working just fine.

They knew how to make things back then. These days you have a bit of
ali channel to take the end of the steel rod without any roller or
wheel, it's not long before the ali channel is very badly worn.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Storm door closer piston isn't holding to door properly trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 5 July 25th 08 12:21 PM
Removing a door fitted with a door closer DavidM UK diy 5 November 28th 07 10:09 AM
Which door closer? Wally UK diy 3 June 5th 07 09:00 PM
Door closer butterfly UK diy 11 March 21st 07 10:14 AM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM