Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT cat chewing cables

Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

High voltage cables?

Another Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan

We have that problem too and the only way we found was to shoot the cat,
no no only joking, we just have to keep the cables out of the way of
the cats. They don't seem to go for the ones anchored to the wall.

One day one of them will chew a power cable though (
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 00:25:37 -0800, Jonathan wrote:

Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

We have that problem with a nine month old cat. The only thing that seems
to deter is grabbing them and blowing in their face!

A good substitute, and what I use if I can't get to them, is a blast of
air from a can of Air Duster!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 8:59*am, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 00:25:37 -0800, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

We have that problem with a nine month old cat. The only thing that seems
to deter is grabbing them and blowing in their face!

A good substitute, and what I use if I can't get to them, is a blast of
air from a can of Air Duster!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
*http://www.mirrorservice.org

He seems to do it at night - I don't often catch him trying it.
Luckily he doesn't seem interested in high-voltage cables.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 8:59 am, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 00:25:37 -0800, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

We have that problem with a nine month old cat. The only thing that seems
to deter is grabbing them and blowing in their face!

A good substitute, and what I use if I can't get to them, is a blast of
air from a can of Air Duster!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

He seems to do it at night - I don't often catch him trying it.
Luckily he doesn't seem interested in high-voltage cables.

Jonathan

Once a cat is thoroughly deterred it won't do it behind your back. Don't
credit it with such intelligence. Teach it to associate touching the wires
with some sort of shock - be consistent for a while and it will be trained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2011 08:25, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

What about spiral cable wrap?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

Angle grinder on its teeth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 08:25, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan

Possibly you need a similar approach to protecting young trees from
rabbits - some kind of wrapping that it can't chew through.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 3:25*am, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan

I'd suggest a tiny bit of citrus oil, lemon or orange, cats absolutely
hate it, but dont know what it might do to the cable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 00:25:37 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan

Buy the poor thing some Cat5E - it's suffering from a dietary deficiency.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 9:25*am, "John" wrote:
Once a cat is thoroughly deterred it won't do it behind your back. Don't
credit it with such intelligence. Teach it to associate touching the wires
with some sort of shock - be consistent for a while and it will be trained.

If you look on youtube (Slug on Electric Fence pt 2) theres a two wire
electric fence which means both wires have to be touched to get a
shock. It would get helluva surprise but not as much as 240v.

On a similar subject theres an interesting show on Thursday BBC4, 9pm
The Brain: A Secret History.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xccs9

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 11:19*am, Tabby wrote:
On Jan 5, 3:25*am, Jonathan wrote:

Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan

I'd suggest a tiny bit of citrus oil, lemon or orange, cats absolutely
hate it, but dont know what it might do to the cable.

Paint them with chilli sauce.

Dave TMH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes
"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

My youngest daughter, when little probably (12 -15 months) soon learnt
not to put cables in her mouth after she put the LV plug end from a
wallwart (live) in it once. I tried it afterwards and it gave a fairly
painful tingle.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2011 08:25, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

Kevlar braided sleeving?

or apply 'bitter apple spray' which apparently they don't like.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:

Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

High voltage cables?

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Outstanding! :-D

And: PeterC wrote:

Buy the poor thing some Cat5E - it's suffering from a dietary deficiency.

Applause! :-D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:05:16 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

On 05/01/2011 08:25, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

What about spiral cable wrap?

That could be worse - the spiral "texture" is likely to be more
attractive to a gnawing cat.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2011 08:43, jgharston wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

High voltage cables?

Another Jonathan

Probably won't have any effect. Daughters dog chewed the mains cable
feeding the central heating a few years ago. It blew the fuse but had no
effect on the dog apart from depositing the contents of its bowels on
the floor. Didn't even deter it from going back and stripping off about
6 inches of insulation afterwards.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan

A bowl of antifreeze works very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sisal rope with catmint (napeta) on it, spelt wrong, but give the cat
something to chew on.

If the cat continues chewing, check its teeth, there may be a foreign
body or damaged tooth and the cable has the right consistency to
provide temporary relief hence it keeps returning to the cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

High voltage cables?

Another Jonathan

Probably won't have any effect. Daughters dog chewed the mains cable
feeding the central heating a few years ago. It blew the fuse but had no
effect on the dog apart from depositing the contents of its bowels on the
floor. Didn't even deter it from going back and stripping off about 6
inches of insulation afterwards.

--
Mike Clarke

Had this problem with my cat - ruined a pair of really good earphones! I'm
just very, very careful where I trail cables now, tuck them away, cover them
over, and she's gradually grown out of it mostly. It's the thin, dangly
black wires she likes. But I'm still careful.

For example, I have some big wine fermenting vessels with immersion heaters
in the kitchen where she sleeps. I bought a big roll of gaffer tape cheap
from Wickes, and taped off all the wire which trails down the sides of the
vessels, and drape/wrap a towel over the extension lead, so, basically, she
can't see the interesting thin black wires.

As for the back of the PC - which is an electrician's nightmare - she gets
squired with a compressed air can "EVERY" time she goes anywhere near it -
so she's fairly hesitant to go behind there now.
She's not allowed in the lounge or my study unsupervised. Too many wires.

Combination of disguise, tucking away and hard discipline, I'm afraid!

Good luck! Barb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 8:13*am, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:18:37 +0000, Skipweasel wrote:
In article e04234b7-3604-4cc3-986d-2c623194908d@
32g2000yqz.googlegroups.com, says...
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

We've always taught cats not to do things by shooting them with a water-
pistol. Seems to work best if you do it "nonchalently" so they don't see
that it's you who's done it.

Yes, we taught a cat not to enter the kitchen by dumping half an eggcup
full of water on him (the eggcup was always visible by the door). Soon we
didn't need the water!

Not so good for cables though!

Loop each cable round an eggcup on edge of worktop etc, with water in.
Might work after a few goes, they really hate water.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 8:25*am, Jonathan wrote:
Our two-year old cat keeps chewing through low voltage cables; so far
three telephone chargers and a radio power cable. Does anyone have any
suggestions as how to protect them?

thanks

Jonathan

You can get electric fence controllers in various outputs. The smaller
ones are intended to deter cats. Connect each lead to each lead of a
cable and leave it out. They learn eventually. It certainly taught my
dog not to go near the rubbish bin after I wrapped the top with ally
foil and left it energised.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark
saying something like:

And then there's the cat that used to sleep in the road. It didn't
last long IIRC.

My previous moggy had the anti-survival habit of crashing out for a good
kip in the middle of any open space, which included the road.
It didn't last long either, once the new neighbour's dogs got at it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://cat-chitchat.pictures-of-cats...at-poison.html

Chewing critters C & E Home Repair 3 March 4th 08 03:19 PM
Chewing Gum abi Home Repair 2 July 6th 07 07:35 PM
Walking AND Chewing Gum - AND charlieb Woodturning 3 May 24th 07 10:37 AM
Somethings chewing in the walls??? Steve Home Repair 3 September 12th 05 10:31 PM
JVC VHS deck won't rewind/eject tape without chewing on it a little Bob Shuman Electronics Repair 4 September 9th 04 12:14 PM