Bob Shuman

Default JVC VHS deck won't rewind/eject tape without chewing on it a little

I fixed my Hitachi VCR that had similar symptoms about 2 years back. It
turned out to be a rewind "brake" that consisted of a small Mylar belt that
had a small felt pad attached to it. The pad had started coming off the
Mylar. I was able to re-glue it and the unit functioned normally. Once this
was determined to be the problem I ordered the replacement part from an
authorized Hitachi parts depot, but have never installed it since the
re-attached pad seems to be holding up well.

Good luck

Bob

"Reid Fleming" wrote in message
.. .

I have an old JVC JR-DX22U VHS deck that plays OK, but won't rewind
or eject without leaving a little bit of the tape (~6") out of the
cassette and chewing on it a little bit. Seems a shame to pitch
it, anybody know how I could fix this problem?

Please post as opposed to email. Thanks.

JVC dude

It probably is the right hand spool brake not working effectively.
this can be confirmed by looking at the tape as it rewinds and hits the end
(probably quite literally) since the brakes can't stop the tape in the last
6" of clear leader tape. if the pad is still floating around, alittle glue
(rubbery type- bostik...)may glue it back in position.
AW

"Reid Fleming" wrote in message
.. .

I have an old JVC JR-DX22U VHS deck that plays OK, but won't rewind
or eject without leaving a little bit of the tape (~6") out of the
cassette and chewing on it a little bit. Seems a shame to pitch
it, anybody know how I could fix this problem?

Please post as opposed to email. Thanks.

Mark D. Zacharias

"Reid Fleming" wrote in message
.. .

I have an old JVC JR-DX22U VHS deck that plays OK, but won't rewind
or eject without leaving a little bit of the tape (~6") out of the
cassette and chewing on it a little bit. Seems a shame to pitch
it, anybody know how I could fix this problem?

Please post as opposed to email. Thanks.

If it uses a rubber idler it may be slipping. They can sometimes be cleaned
successfully, but replacement is preferable.

Mark Z.

JVC Dude

If its not a faulty brake, then if the rewind idler's not flicking across it
may cause the same symptom
Just looked at the manual (HR-DX22ek) which I think is the same machine
first remove the carriage (4 screws) then you can see an idler
clutch/geartrain between the 2 spools. remove the 2 screws
and you may find this is at fault. Its direct driven by gears through the
bigger dog clutch underneath. its shaft may be stiff (other models do have
this problem) or you can examine/clean re tension etc.make sure it can
flick/engage easily to both spools
If the main belt is slipping then it wouldn't rewind also.-
AW

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
[...]

James254

"Reid Fleming" wrote in message
.. .

I have an old JVC JR-DX22U VHS deck that plays OK, but won't rewind
or eject without leaving a little bit of the tape (~6") out of the
cassette and chewing on it a little bit. Seems a shame to pitch
it, anybody know how I could fix this problem?

Please post as opposed to email. Thanks.

Hi,

Some good idea's so far but I would suggest that you look closely at the
capstan motor as this will give you the clue's rather then guessing.

Put a small felt tip pen mark on the top of the capstan motor shaft and
watch it when ejecting the tape. The motor should turn!

If the motor isn't turning then I suggest the mode switch is the cause of
the problem. If I remember the mechanism it's not a job for the
inexperienced, but a skilled photocopy tech or similar should have no
problems.

Hope this helps.

--
Please Note - E-mail address corrupt. Please change "NO" to "ii"