Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Repairs and Spare Parts

Hi all

Hope you had a good Christmas and didn't work too hard!

My F-I-L installed his own heating system about 17 years ago and fitted an
Ideal Standard Classic NF40 wall mounted boiler with CI heat exchanger. He
has followed the work I have been doing and perhaps has been enticed by the
idea of a modern condensing-type boiler to replace the ageing Ideal Standard
kit.

Knowing something of the complexity of the modern boilers, I have been
advising him strongly against the change (the current model is 79% efficient
so he is unlikely to recoup costs in gas savings).

The driving force at the moment is the availability of spares for the
existing unit - we all know the con used by BG to deny their existence!

So - two questions if I may - where is the best source for spares for these
older examples and is there anywhere that does exchange boards or repairs
existing ones? I have heard a couple of posters discussing board repairs
but don't know if this is done on a commercial basis.

TIA

Phil

[All references appreciated, but this post will not be revisited until work
resumes Tuesday]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

So - two questions if I may - where is the best source for spares for these
older examples and is there anywhere that does exchange boards or repairs
existing ones? I have heard a couple of posters discussing board repairs
but don't know if this is done on a commercial basis.

TIA

Phil

http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That'll be Geoff http://www.cetltd.com/

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes

[...]

And we reopen on tuesday too ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , Graham.
writes

So - two questions if I may - where is the best source for spares for
these older examples and is there anywhere that does
exchange boards or repairs existing ones? I have heard a couple of
posters discussing board repairs but don't know if this is
done on a commercial basis.

[All references appreciated, but this post will not be revisited
until work resumes Tuesday]

That'll be Geoff http://www.cetltd.com/

And we reopen on tuesday too ...

You don't refurb Gledhill heat-store circuit boards by any chance...?

TF

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Terry Fields
writes

geoff wrote:

In message , Graham.
writes

So - two questions if I may - where is the best source for spares for
these older examples and is there anywhere that does
exchange boards or repairs existing ones? I have heard a couple of
posters discussing board repairs but don't know if this is
done on a commercial basis.

[All references appreciated, but this post will not be revisited
until work resumes Tuesday]

That'll be Geoff http://www.cetltd.com/

And we reopen on tuesday too ...

You don't refurb Gledhill heat-store circuit boards by any chance...?

GI 155?

Popped one of the (now obsolete) semiconductor relays has it?

We have a reasonable success rate with them

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

GI 155?

That sounds like the one.

Popped one of the (now obsolete) semiconductor relays has it?

Pass...

Symptoms were inititially the boiler pump would cut out for about a
quarter of a second at random times, then it started ignoring the room
thermostat (depending on how it felt, the heating would either stay on
or not come on at all), then Switch 2 wouldn't cycle the temperature
readings (but bizarrely would turn on the heating pump if the
themostat was having an 'off'day), and the DHW pump would run all the
time.

We have a reasonable success rate with them

Shall I send it in? Any clue as to cost? I wouldn't mind having a
refurb board for backup...four days with random heating in the coldest
spell so far was no fun...

TF
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

"TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

Hi

I had a 1979 Oil Boiler that failed totaly in a bang. Rang a Local heating
engineer offered him cash and he replaced it within a week with a new metric
verssion with imperial to metric conections.
Cost £500 but worth it in the cold.

Hope this helps

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 31, 11:28*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

There really isnt much to go wrong with FILs boiler. PCB or Fan
available from Geoff at CET and the other common bits and pieces such
as pilot injector, silicone rubber sensing tubes, or fan detector
pressure switch from any halfway decent suppliers. Andy or John at
Advanced Heating Spares in Hull can source most things and do go the
extra mile when asked.
Your advice about payback is very sound!