Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to find out what, if any, ventilation required for boiler

The boiler is a Potterton Suprima 60

It's sat in the utility, which _used_ to have a door through to the
garage, but now doesn't. There's no ventilation in there at all - no
air brick, no trickle vents, and now no cracks in the wooden floor to
the (very well ventilated) void below. There's a uPVC door to outside,
and a standard internal door through to the kitchen (which has an
extractor fan to outside).

Obviously there's a small flu to the outside from the back of the
boiler.

How do I find out or calculate what ventilation the boiler needs, if
any?

There are lots of technical details written onto the boiler which mean
nothing to me...

input (Gross) Q = 75000 / 63500kW
Output = 60000 99000 kW
Gas Rate = 210 CU
74 20 m/h
1-78 Cu
62-90 ft/h
(all hand written, so please excuse typos).

It works, though there are still so many holes in the floors
throughout the rest of the house that it's hardly starved of
ventilation _yet_.

Any ideas? I'm going to get it serviced (though the previous owner
claimed to have done so, and have it under an "expensive British Gas
service contract"), but don't want someone to condemn it because of
some problem.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Robinson wrote:
[...]

there is a standard reg on this in building regs.

A 4" pipe will be enough for any boiler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2010 20:23, David Robinson wrote:
[...]

Ventilation for what? Does it have a balanced flue? If so, the air for
combustion comes in through that, and the only ventilation required will
be to stop the fan motor (if any) and PCB from overheating.

If its combustion air needs to come from the room, it's a different
matter! But I'm pretty sure that the Suprima 60 is a fan-assisted
balanced-flue jobbie - so it only needs ventilation if enclosed in a
fairly tightly fitting box, such as a kitchen cabinet.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 10:44*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I guess it is a balanced flue, so that answers the question. I was
hoping to find the instructions on-line to confirm, but other similar
named newer models dominate the search results! Looking at the thing
though, it's obvious it's a balanced flue now I've read what one of
those is! Thanks.

If its combustion air needs to come from the room, it's a different
matter! But I'm pretty sure that the Suprima 60 is a fan-assisted
balanced-flue jobbie - so it only needs ventilation if enclosed in a
fairly tightly fitting box, such as a kitchen cabinet.

I'm planning to put it in a kitchen cabinet eventually. I could easily
leave/cut a big hole in the top though.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Robinson wrote:
[...]

I have a pdf copy if you want it.
--
Adam

boiler ventilation Fred UK diy 10 November 23rd 10 10:40 AM
Ventilation for an open Flue Boiler - Help needed please Jacko UK diy 6 January 12th 09 06:30 PM
Back boiler ventilation ron UK diy 6 July 23rd 06 07:03 PM
cms sq versus sq cms - CH boiler ventilation DavidM UK diy 14 August 7th 05 02:44 PM
Specific Shelf Supports Required. Can't find them anywhere....? Sean Dees Woodworking 12 February 16th 05 12:59 AM