Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Follow-up: Recording TV in Windows 7

I'm sure no-one else will be interested, but I seem to have beaten
Windows 7 into submission in this area at last.

Win 7 seems to come with what you need to record, from a suitable tuner
or maybe off line, TV programmes to DVD.
Initial tests showed I could record via Media Center and burn a DVD with
Windows DVD Maker. What I couldn't do inside Win 7 was find any way of
topping and tailing or removing adverts etc.

Windows Live is a set of downloadable junk that includes Movie Maker,
but this is less useful than older versions and on my 1 hour 45 minute
test file put the audio sync out to a completely impossible extent.

I've now discovered that there's another Microsoft freebie called
Expression that includes a basic editor, loads the WTV or dvr-ms files
and exports as wmv, which can then be fed to DVD Maker. There are still
a load of conversions, but it seems to come out with the lips on the
same page as the sound.

The whole thing is the usual Microsoft mess with files stored in all
sorts of weird directories instead of in basic sensible order, but it
all can be made to work.

The only other peculiar thing, as a result of the file conversions I
think, is that it is very easy to load a file bigger than one DVD's
worth into the DVD Maker program, which, if you insert a normal DVD,
valiantly converts and burns a dud. You have to know to insert a
dual-layer DVD into the burner, as there seems a complete lack of
warning about file size at the burning end of the process.

Now back to your normal programming.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Hadn't heard of Expression so it was worth you posting. Glad you got it
sorted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Have you heard of Mythtv? Runs under Linux and is superb.
Phil