Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT! DIY fix? VCR not (re)-recording sound

Got an annoying problem with a JVC HR-J270EK VHS VCR. It will record
over the video track on a tape (in SP or LP) and play that back
correctly. It won't record over the audio track (so the previous audio
remains (played at the speed the video is recorded). If it recorded
silence I would possibly be less surprised.

Any ideas? I know it's old (was an an insurance replacement in early
2000) but it worked up until recently for recording the odd program
either from a dedicated Nokia 9850T or the internal analogue tuner.
Just bought a 32" Bravia and this VCR I intended to keep on another TV
for occasional use.

Tools available: 4.5" angle grinder, axe, 2lb hammer ;-) Seriously
though, I'd be OK with popping the lid to attempt an easy fix if
anyone knows what might be up.

Cheers

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Part timer" wrote in message
Got an annoying problem with a JVC HR-J270EK VHS VCR. It will record
over the video track on a tape (in SP or LP) and play that back
correctly. It won't record over the audio track (so the previous audio
remains (played at the speed the video is recorded). If it recorded
silence I would possibly be less surprised.

Any ideas? I know it's old (was an an insurance replacement in early
2000) but it worked up until recently for recording the odd program
either from a dedicated Nokia 9850T or the internal analogue tuner.
Just bought a 32" Bravia and this VCR I intended to keep on another TV
for occasional use.

Tools available: 4.5" angle grinder, axe, 2lb hammer ;-) Seriously
though, I'd be OK with popping the lid to attempt an easy fix if
anyone knows what might be up.

Cheers

J.

Audio recording head needs cleaning possibly?

Look at the head and see if its pitted with tape dropout? preferably with a
magnifier.
Or just clean it with meths and see if that restores the recording audio? if
it doesn't make no diff then its possibly an electronic component fault?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:37:55 GMT, George wrote:

Audio recording head needs cleaning possibly?

I wouldn't have thought so as the previous audio is still there but cheap
VHS machines have a full tape width erase head seperate and before the
rec/pb heads. This should wipe the previous audio...

Has this machine any dubbing features? Maybe audio record has accidentally
been switched off in a menu or hardware switch somewhere under a panel.
Similary check settings for Hi-Fi/linear audio mode(s).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Agree with Dave on this one.
IIR the early JVC were the rolls royce of vid's and had an audio dub
facility with a small slide switch at the side of the front input sockets,
Failing this it sounds like the audio switching amp has gone faulty as you
are not recording new audio (if i read your post correctly)

HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 23:28, "cj" wrote:
Agree with Dave on this one.
IIR the early JVC were the rolls royce of vid's and had an audio dub
facility with a small slide switch at the side of the front input sockets,
Failing this it sounds like the audio switching amp has gone faulty as you
are not recording new audio (if i read your post correctly)

HTH
CJ

Rolls Royce of VCRs? Mine can't be an early model then ;-) No sockets/
switches apart from 2 scarts (only one is in & out, other just input),
the RF loop and a 3.5mm jack output for some optional IR satellite box
controller (channel change).

Problem now fixed - acetone on a cotton bud did the trick on the erase
and audio/control heads (left and right of the main drum and the
delicate video heads). Kept well away from the plastic and rubber
parts. Allowed some evaporation time then gave it a whirl. Audio now
records :-)
Thanks for everyone's input.

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Part timer writes
Got an annoying problem with a JVC HR-J270EK VHS VCR. It will record
over the video track on a tape (in SP or LP) and play that back
correctly. It won't record over the audio track (so the previous audio
remains (played at the speed the video is recorded). If it recorded
silence I would possibly be less surprised.

Any ideas?

Dead bias oscillator or possibly open circuit erase head. I assume it's
not HiFi?

Can you see faint ghosting in dark areas of the picture on a newly
recorded over tape?
I know it's old (was an an insurance replacement in early
2000) but it worked up until recently for recording the odd program
either from a dedicated Nokia 9850T or the internal analogue tuner.
Just bought a 32" Bravia and this VCR I intended to keep on another TV
for occasional use.

Tools available: 4.5" angle grinder, axe, 2lb hammer ;-) Seriously
though, I'd be OK with popping the lid to attempt an easy fix if
anyone knows what might be up.

Cheers

J.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message
,
Part timer writes
[...]

Have you read his latest reply Clint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes

--
Clint Sharp

Have you read his latest reply Clint?

My post was written but not sent immediately. I downloaded his fix post
whilst mine was being uploaded. Better timing next time maybe.

--
Clint Sharp