Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plunge cut recip saw blades

Hi,

I am looking for a blade to cut floorboards so that I can lift them.

I used to do this by hand with a floorboard saw. When I bought it, I
didn't have a clue how to sue it. Why don't they print instructions
for newbies on the cardboard sheath that covers the blade?

I guessed that to start the cut you use it "upside down" using the
teeth on the curved nose and once you have got a cut going, you use
the saw "conventionally". Did I get that about right?

Then s aw that Toolstation were selling blades that looked like this
for reciprocating saws. I bought a couple of them:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe.../sd2581/p55248

The first blade I used seemed to last forever but subsequent blades
seem go blunt very quickly. Perhaps they have changed how they make
them?

The packaging says they can also be used on metal. Again, I used mine
to cut through the odd problem nail and I had no problems but heavier
duty jobs either blunt the teeth or snap them off, so I use hacksaw
blades for metal.

The blunting I am experiencing now is only from use on wood, so I am
looking to upgrade. The blurb on the TS web site says that the Bosch
blades will plunge cut and yet they don't have a bull shaped nose. can
anyone confirm if they are good for cutting through floorboards? I am
trying to cut the T&G from the sides and cut across the joist to
reduce one long board into a long board and a small board, to gain
access for wiring etc.

TIA