Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leak Beneath WC Cistern From Supply Pipe

Hello,
A leak has developed beneath my toilet cistern. Years ago, my father
installed one of those in-line stop-taps on the pip supplying the
cistern. If I turn the tap off, the leak stops, with just a slight
weep until it ceases altogether. If I open the tap, the leak starts
again.

The washer beneath the cistern is dry. There is no leak, with the
stop-tap turned off and the cistern filled from a jug. The leak
appears to be from the thread joint between the float valve and the
stop-tap.

Coincidentally, it seemed to start when the ball was adjusted to stop
the cistern overfilling slightly, and running through the overflow.

Is there anything I can do to stop the leak? PTFE tape? Is there any
reason why it should start leaking after all these years?

Thanks,
John

Gas pipe beneath plasterboard - depth etc? Lobster UK diy 5 February 2nd 07 10:03 PM
Re-fitting supply pipe to toilet cistern brush@wanadoo UK diy 3 December 9th 05 11:02 AM
Pipe runs beneath floor. Arthur UK diy 5 June 22nd 05 12:01 AM
Cistern leak patcheshouse UK diy 1 May 29th 05 11:11 AM
toilet Cistern leak Douglas Sey UK diy 4 October 13th 03 11:17 PM