Posted to uk.d-i-y
brush@wanadoo

Default Re-fitting supply pipe to toilet cistern

Hi
I've posted here before under another ID - then I was trying to sort
out problems with a Portsmouth type float valve. On the basis of
entry Torbeck FV. Done all that including moving the siphon to left
hand side of the cistern. Go to connect the original metal fitting
(built in isolating valve) to the bottom of the Torbeck plastic pipe
and leaking/gushing all over the place! Also the isolating bit doesn't
seem to be working as well.
Have replaced the old fibre washer with new nylon - no difference.
Water seems to be coming from *underneath* the bit that screws onto the
plastic pipe of the Torbeck.
Been trying to sort this for over a fortnight now and may even be
forced to call a plumber if I can find one - has anyone any ideas about
what's now causing this massive leak?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

"brush@wanadoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I've posted here before under another ID - then I was trying to sort
out problems with a Portsmouth type float valve. On the basis of
entry Torbeck FV. Done all that including moving the siphon to left
hand side of the cistern. Go to connect the original metal fitting
(built in isolating valve) to the bottom of the Torbeck plastic pipe
and leaking/gushing all over the place! Also the isolating bit doesn't
seem to be working as well.
Have replaced the old fibre washer with new nylon - no difference.
Water seems to be coming from *underneath* the bit that screws onto the
plastic pipe of the Torbeck.
Been trying to sort this for over a fortnight now and may even be
forced to call a plumber if I can find one - has anyone any ideas about
what's now causing this massive leak?

There's two different sizes of 1/2 tap connector like
http://tinyurl.com/859la
its quit possible that the inner copper flange on yours is not fitting
correctly *inside* the plastic flange on your Torbeck valve,so the washer is
having no effect
B&Q do the smaller size fitting

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
HCB

Thanks for that. I thought things were standard in plumbing? I've now
bought so many washers etc that it will almost certainly keep me going
for the rest of my natural.
I don't really want to replace the isolating valve if I can help it
only because if what you say is correct in my case, then I've got a new
valve that doesn't fit (maybe), but I will get to B&Q and take
advantage of my Diamond club membership...
Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HCB wrote:
Thanks for that. I thought things were standard in plumbing? I've now
bought so many washers etc that it will almost certainly keep me going
for the rest of my natural.
I don't really want to replace the isolating valve if I can help it
only because if what you say is correct in my case, then I've got a new
valve that doesn't fit (maybe), but I will get to B&Q and take
advantage of my Diamond club membership...
Thanks again.

If you were to get hold of a time served plumber, he would probably
take one look at your fibre washer. Spit, throw it away and then reach
for his tub of Vaseline and some soft string.

Cut a short length of soft string (enough to make your own washer).
coat liberally with Vaseline, and then wind round the bottom of the
pipe in a clockwise direction looking from below. Offer up the tap
connector and tighten - not too much!

turn on water. swear and curse. Repeat process until you get it
right. Never use fibre washers again.

HTH

Zikki

That's Mr Zikki!