Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.religion.kibology,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Wikipedia? --- and you think you've got pedants

In article op.vmi3wwcj3vkhpg@acer,
madge wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:18:47 -0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:23:27 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message
charles wrote:

In article ,
Mark Robinson wrote:
On 15/11/2010 22:23, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I read that as people using a "BBC computer" - i. e. the 6502-based
home computer of the 1980s (-:!

Well, you shouldn't have done, because that was a "BBC Micro" ;-}

or, more accurately a "British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer".
"BBC" was the Registered Trademark (in the electrical sales field) of
"Brown, Boverie et Cie" - a Swiss based manufacturer.

BBC also, in various fields stood for: British Bacon Company (of
Swindon), Barnes Borough Council, Borough of Brentford & Chiswick,
Barking Brassware Company - and probably many others.

Bush Bedding Centre - in Shepherds Bush market, overlooked by Lime Grove
Studios.

Bursledon Brick Company, I've one of their bricks, stamped BBC,
somewhere.

Boston Beer Company, Boston Borough Council, Ballet British Columbia,
Bergen Brunswick Corporation, Berkeley Biodiesel Collective, Balham Bowls
Club, Belper Baptist Church, Bournemouth Borough Council.,.. etc.

Black Belt Champions

http://www.youtube.com/user/usabbchamp

(The guy at the end breaking the bat? Is my sensei. The guys preceding,
I don't know them.)

--
Sig available on request.

- Doctroid
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Wikipedia?

In message , Ian Jelf
writes:
[]
Birmingham Banking Company, one of the constituents of what became the
Midland. The initials "BBC" can still be seen carved in a stone
pediment in their former offices at the corner of Bennett's Hill and
Waterloo Street in Birmingham.

You remind me of a faded remnant of UK electronics: For a long time
after Mullard ceased to be, one of its former buildings near the
Tottenham Court Road end of Torrington Place used to have the faded
remains/shadow/whatever of a Philips sign on its front. (Mullard became
part of Philips.) It's no longer visible - the building (part of a local
university I think, now) had a new surface some years ago - but I always
used to think there was a little history there when I saw it. (I park
along there - well, Bedford square - on my rare visits to the area.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/11/2010 03:11, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Ian Jelf writes:
[]
Birmingham Banking Company, one of the constituents of what became the
Midland. The initials "BBC" can still be seen carved in a stone pediment in
their former offices at the corner of Bennett's Hill and Waterloo Street in
Birmingham.

You remind me of a faded remnant of UK electronics: For a long time after
Mullard ceased to be, one of its former buildings near the Tottenham Court
Road end of Torrington Place used to have the faded remains/shadow/whatever
of a Philips sign on its front. (Mullard became part of Philips.) It's no
longer visible - the building (part of a local university I think, now) had a
new surface some years ago - but I always used to think there was a little
history there when I saw it. (I park along there - well, Bedford square - on
my rare visits to the area.)

I don't remember the faded wall sign you mention, but there used to be a lot
of them around in Britain's major cities and it is a matter of regret that
they are becoming rarer with redevelopment.

One I recall was in Manchester Street, Liverpool (adjacent to the Mersey
Tunnel entrance and formerly linking the Old Haymarket with Dale Street). A
chimney stack was painted with a huge sign proclaiming that this was the
premises of Frank Hessy (musical instrument retailer), who had moved from
there to Stanley Street back in the early fifties. Of course, now the shop is
completely out of business.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

JNugent wrote in
:

On 24/11/2010 03:11, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Ian Jelf writes:
[]
[...]

Lots more of them he http://www.ghostsigns.co.uk/ and the
associated blog.

Peter

--
| Peter Campbell Smith | Epsom | UK |
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.religion.kibology,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

*madge wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:18:47 -0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:23:27 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message
* * * * * charles wrote:

In article ,
* *Mark Robinson wrote:
[...]

My stoopit video player thingie won't frame by frame.

Fist, or forearm?

Dr. HotSalt

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.religion.kibology,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article b83dc82a-22e7-4e18-bc91-
, Dr. HotSalt wrote:
My stoopit video player thingie won't frame by frame.

Fist, or forearm?

Warranty, or big hammer,

depending on availability & annoyance factor.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Ha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_La's

"The remainder of the 1991 concerts were performed with
James Joyce on bass"

And Adolf Hitler on vibes, no doubt.

;-)
--
Angus Rodgers
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Angus Rodgers" wrote in message
Ha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_La's

"The remainder of the 1991 concerts were performed with
James Joyce on bass"

And Adolf Hitler on vibes, no doubt.

Lord Snooty and his pals, tap-dancing!
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.religion.kibology,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:01:00 -0500, Doctroid
wrote:

In article
,
"Dr. HotSalt" wrote:

On Nov 23, 5:40*am, Doctroid wrote:
In article op.vmi3wwcj3vkhpg@acer,

Black Belt Champions

http://www.youtube.com/user/usabbchamp

(The guy at the end breaking the bat? Is my sensei. The guys preceding,
I don't know them.)

My stoopit video player thingie won't frame by frame.

Fist, or forearm?

Forearm.

Ulna.

--