Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HTM attachments become 'Restricted Sites'

I want to send .htm files I have made to a friend to download to a
folder, and work from there. If I go round there and transfer the
files from a memory stick, the script in them works fine, but if I
send them as attachments to email, usually (but not always), they are
rendered as a Restricted Site, and the javascript doesn't work when
the file is double clicked in its target folder.

My friend is using Vista, Windows Mail and IE7. I have tried sending
one with a .txt extension, and asked the friend to rename it as .htm
after saving, but this was no better. Maybe because the filename was
the same as the previous one? I also tried sending the file zipped up,
again no better.

Is there a hidden record of blacklisted files, so that renaming the
file might let it work? I have not included any headers in the files
defining the type of html - would doing this help? Is there any way to
make the file Unrestricted after saving it? I have searched the web
but not found the answer.

Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave W" wrote in message
[...]

One word - Dropbox!

It will keep two folders on both your machines synchronized over the
internet, so you don't have to use email.

It is free and can be got from here
http://www.dropbox.com/

If you use my affiliate link below, then we both get and extra 250MB of
space
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQyMjUxOTU5

I personally find it extremely useful.

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 18:35:12 +0000, Toby wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
[...]

Dave, the better virus protectors look at the file contents, not the
extension, so you have to obfuscate the whole contents with, say,
truecrypt (free software) if the anti-virus is up to scratch. Zip isn't
enough, they know about that! If it looks like HTML, it's assumed to be
malicious. This is usually a setting for personal emailers, but not if
it's in the ISP's email system.

Toby is right though, it's much easier with a shared Dropbox folder, I've
set them up for everyone in the family. By signing up all my friends
I've got up to 8GB for free!

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you all for interesting replies. I don't think my friend's
antivirus is set up to test files when they're executed, because files
from my memory stick work fine. What I don't understand is why the
restricted ones still don't work after renaming - maybe the AV is
monitoring all renaming? Is there any way to make a restricted file
unrestricted retrospectively?

I did notice that a restricted file had had a comment added at the
top:
!-- saved from url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail --
I tried deleting this but the file still didn't work. Maybe my friend
is not using the correct procedure for saving the attachment. I also
wonder if the preview pane is testing the attachment and condemning it
before it can be saved.

Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 08/11/2010 17:27, Dave W wrote:
[...]

try password protecting the zip file.
That will prevent AV from detecting the script though it might not be
happy when it is unzipped at the other end.
If all else fails then he'll have to de-activate his AntiVirus
software when he's expecting the file from you.

or a superior way (in my mind) would be to install tightVNC on both
machines http://www.tightvnc.com/ and when required your friend can
run a host session. Give you his IP address and you can then log into
his machine as a remote user and transfer files to his local drive.
When all is done he simply closes the session.

If he has a personal firewall he would need to allow TightVNC to
accept a connection and many AV scans will report it as a trojan
which it would be if you didn't know what it was or how it got there.

I've used UltraVNC and TightVNC in the past but these days I prefer to use
Teamviewer www.teamviewer.com It's absolutely brilliant, it doesn't need any
faffing around with, works through firewalls, NATs, and is free for
non-commercial use.

Any script "hidden" in an attachment is and should be treated with the
greatest of caution which his AV is correctly doing.
HTH
Pete