Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motherboard heatsink query

Hi,

I have been asked to look at a non-functioning PC and found that the
problem appears to be the onboard graphics chip has failed. This is
probably due to the heatsink coming off the chip. Basically it is a
levered clip on design and one of the inverted u anchor points has
come away from the motherboard. I have installed a PCI graphics card
which works. Query is - can I leave the blown chipset as it is or do
I need to still have a heatsink - because it still generates a fair
bit of heat.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/10 21:14, Jack wrote:
Hi,

I have been asked to look at a non-functioning PC and found that the
problem appears to be the onboard graphics chip has failed. This is
probably due to the heatsink coming off the chip. Basically it is a
levered clip on design and one of the inverted u anchor points has
come away from the motherboard. I have installed a PCI graphics card
which works. Query is - can I leave the blown chipset as it is or do
I need to still have a heatsink - because it still generates a fair
bit of heat.

TIA

If it's blown but consuming power, one of two things has happened:

1) It hasn't really "blown", the circuits are still clocking but it's
nadgered enough to not do anything useful.

2) It really has fried, in which case it might just be consuming power
as a resistive load (chips can do this as doping agents disperse under
heat and silicon with diffuse doping agents is more or less just a big
resistor.

2 would be unwise to use the mobo unless you can remove the chip.

1 would probably be OK but you should have a heatsink to prevent the
chip frying more. You can get sticky heatsing thermal pads or thermal
epoxy and glue a heatsink on.

Personally I wouldn't leave it on unattended in that state but if it
does useful things, why not... Thing to remember is PC PSUs provide some
pretty potential currents on the various rails and if the chip goes
short circuit (quite possible) it's either going to fry the board (as in
char it), kill the PSU or otherwise start burning something.

It's rare these days for PCs to actually smoke in the literal sense, but
it does happen occasionally - and I have seen one do that. It made the
case bloody hot and stunk the lab out for quite some time. Not really
something you'd want in a house where it's near lots of combustibles.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 9:14*pm, Jack wrote:
Hi,

I have been asked to look at a non-functioning PC and found that the
problem appears to be the onboard graphics chip has failed. *This is
probably due to the heatsink coming off the chip. *Basically it is a
levered clip on design and one of the inverted u anchor points has
come away from the motherboard. * I have installed a PCI graphics card
which works. *Query is - can I leave the blown chipset as it is or do
I need to still have a heatsink - because it still generates a fair
bit of heat.

TIA

I'd fit a heatsink, else it may die at any time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2010 21:14, Jack wrote:
Hi,

I have been asked to look at a non-functioning PC and found that the
problem appears to be the onboard graphics chip has failed. This is
probably due to the heatsink coming off the chip. Basically it is a
levered clip on design and one of the inverted u anchor points has
come away from the motherboard. I have installed a PCI graphics card
which works. Query is - can I leave the blown chipset as it is or do
I need to still have a heatsink - because it still generates a fair
bit of heat.

TIA

I think there's a group uk.comp.homebuilt that might be worth a go.

I wouldn't risk it. The chip is overheating to the extent that it has
malfunctioned, and is still running hot. It will not cure itself, but
can only get worse. It may cause data corruption in the system, and may
damage other components. You can get a motherboard/cpu/ram bundle for a
hundred quid or so now.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:14:46 +0000, Jack wrote:

Many thanks for the responses. As you may have guessed, this was
another of those "charity case" repair requests, that are so
invaluable in using up one's spare time. (Except of course this one
is for a charitable group.)

Regards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jack" wrote...
Hi,

I have been asked to look at a non-functioning PC and found that the
problem appears to be the onboard graphics chip has failed. This is
probably due to the heatsink coming off the chip. Basically it is a
levered clip on design and one of the inverted u anchor points has
come away from the motherboard. I have installed a PCI graphics card
which works. Query is - can I leave the blown chipset as it is or do
I need to still have a heatsink - because it still generates a fair
bit of heat.

As an aside, I've had a few "charity" motherboards[1] that have protested
failed graphics chips / graphics RAM (BIOS beep codes alleged it) which
refused to boot and then mysteriously came to life after a full CMOS reset
(in with a screwdriver on the motherboard pins) - this seems to be pretty
common on integrated graphics adaptors, might be worth a try?

And yes, the heatsink is pretty essential even if you're not using the
onboard graphics

Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader

[1] "Lookee here Dave, I took this out to upgrade / repair my PC - want it
for bits?" - one of 'em's now in SWMBO's dedicated Photoshop box, *all* from
donated bits or the junkpile and it flies along!