Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do wickes stores have panel saws?

I need some MR MDF cut so I can get it in the car.
Wickes stock the material I want but do they have saws in their 'extra'
stores. Southampton is my nearest.

TIA

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/10 22:14, Bob Minchin wrote:
I need some MR MDF cut so I can get it in the car.
Wickes stock the material I want but do they have saws in their 'extra'
stores. Southampton is my nearest.

TIA

Bob

they have a huge store on the southampton road out of salisbury.

I'd think MDF saws are common and available form most hardware shops.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 16/10/10 22:14, Bob Minchin wrote:
I need some MR MDF cut so I can get it in the car.
Wickes stock the material I want but do they have saws in their 'extra'
stores. Southampton is my nearest.

TIA

Bob

they have a huge store on the southampton road out of salisbury.

I'd think MDF saws are common and available form most hardware shops.

[g]

Thanks George.

I meant the panel saws fixed to the wall where the store cuts up sheet
materials to your dimensions for you.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
I meant the panel saws fixed to the wall where the store cuts up sheet
materials to your dimensions for you.

Never seen this offered in any Wicks round here. B&Q or Homebase. Wicks
historically were more of a self service builder's merchant than DIY store.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
I need some MR MDF cut so I can get it in the car.
Wickes stock the material I want but do they have saws in their
'extra' stores. Southampton is my nearest.

No description of what an Extra store offers on their web site.

Call them? SOUTHAMPTON EXTRA Telephone: 02380 515080

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Bob wrote:
I meant the panel saws fixed to the wall where the store cuts up sheet
materials to your dimensions for you.

Never seen this offered in any Wicks round here. B&Q or Homebase. Wicks
historically were more of a self service builder's merchant than DIY store.

Round here it's only Homebase and B&Q Warehouses that have panel saws
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 16/10/10 22:14, Bob Minchin wrote:
I need some MR MDF cut so I can get it in the car.
Wickes stock the material I want but do they have saws in their 'extra'
stores. Southampton is my nearest.

TIA

Bob

they have a huge store on the southampton road out of salisbury.

I'd think MDF saws are common and available form most hardware shops.

[g]

Thanks George.

I meant the panel saws fixed to the wall where the store cuts up sheet
materials to your dimensions for you.

Bob

You best option is probably to phone around.

Locally round here Homebase still have a panel saw set-up installed
but I've never seen anyone manning the desk. Mind you the store and
most of the checkouts are deserted a lot of the time as it is.
And I've never made use of it myself

Because of staff cutbacks it may be that any staff trained to use
the saw and who won't make a completed horlicks of it, don't have back-up
if they're off sick or on holiday.

So even if they've got one its probably advisable to phone first.

As to Wickes the way they store their 8x4 and larger panels is rubbish.

Rather than support the panel at both ends and the middle - a minimum
requirement they have two arms cantilevered out and the panels
draped over those. This means that all the panels from half way down
the stack will have developed a bow at both ends.

All their plywood is 100% rubbish as well with internal voids which
often only become apparent once the stuff is cut.

As with all timber products in Wickes its all mainly designed to be
firmly nailed to a wall where any imperfections won't show.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
In ,
Bob wrote:
I meant the panel saws fixed to the wall where the store cuts up
sheet materials to your dimensions for you.

Never seen this offered in any Wicks round here. B&Q or Homebase.
Wicks historically were more of a self service builder's merchant
than DIY store.

Round here it's only Homebase and B&Q Warehouses that have panel saws

My local BM has one - only found out earlier this year - even better, they
have two blokes who actually know how to use it properly - and know what a
'kerf' is!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
I need some MR MDF cut so I can get it in the car.
Wickes stock the material I want but do they have saws in their
'extra' stores. Southampton is my nearest.

No description of what an Extra store offers on their web site.

Call them? SOUTHAMPTON EXTRA Telephone: 02380 515080

Cheers Dave,
I've just called them and yes they can cut to size but today the guy
working in Southampton is on holiday. Very helpful girl went and asked
around if anyone else could work the saw but sadly no. I was impressed
with their customer service though

At the time of my original post, I was trying to decide and plan my Sunday.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Bob wrote:
I meant the panel saws fixed to the wall where the store cuts up sheet
materials to your dimensions for you.

Never seen this offered in any Wicks round here. B&Q or Homebase. Wicks
historically were more of a self service builder's merchant than DIY store.

Since their change of ownership, they have moved a bit more towards DIY.
Quite convenient as B&Q (hawk - spit) are moving from proper DIY to
decorate it yourself and becoming more like Homebase every day.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:47:58 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've just called them and yes they can cut to size but today the guy
working in Southampton is on holiday. Very helpful girl went and asked
around if anyone else could work the saw but sadly no. I was impressed
with their customer service though

Seems like an ideal hook to hang getting a decent circular saw on and
makinga saw board. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:47:58 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've just called them and yes they can cut to size but today the guy
working in Southampton is on holiday. Very helpful girl went and asked
around if anyone else could work the saw but sadly no. I was impressed
with their customer service though

Seems like an ideal hook to hang getting a decent circular saw on and
makinga saw board. B-)

I've got (nearly) all the cutting capability at home both hand power
tools and a big cast iron tablesaw but I cant get a full sheet inside
the car and currently no roof rack.

I can't really be arsed to dig out my generator, put that in the car and
risk the wrath of Wickes staff by cutting sheet MDF up in the car park.

I supposed a battery operated Jig or circular saw would be nice but
can't really justify the cost to myself (yet!)

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:59:24 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've got (nearly) all the cutting capability at home both hand power
tools and a big cast iron tablesaw but I cant get a full sheet inside
the car and currently no roof rack.

Get 'em to deliver or borrow a suitable trailer...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2010 17:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:59:24 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've got (nearly) all the cutting capability at home both hand power
tools and a big cast iron tablesaw but I cant get a full sheet inside
the car and currently no roof rack.

Get 'em to deliver or borrow a suitable trailer...

Humping 8x4s about isn't much fun, even if you do have the cutting
capability at home. For what they charge I'd rather someone else did it
(and cleared up the mess).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 17/10/2010 17:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:59:24 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've got (nearly) all the cutting capability at home both hand power
tools and a big cast iron tablesaw but I cant get a full sheet
inside the car and currently no roof rack.

Get 'em to deliver or borrow a suitable trailer...

Humping 8x4s about isn't much fun, even if you do have the cutting
capability at home. For what they charge I'd rather someone else did
it (and cleared up the mess).

Amen to that. 50p a cut at my local BM, well worth it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 17/10/2010 17:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:59:24 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've got (nearly) all the cutting capability at home both hand power
tools and a big cast iron tablesaw but I cant get a full sheet inside
the car and currently no roof rack.

Get 'em to deliver or borrow a suitable trailer...

Humping 8x4s about isn't much fun, even if you do have the cutting
capability at home. For what they charge I'd rather someone else did it
(and cleared up the mess).

I took a couple of saw horses and a saw and cut up the plywood in the car
park of timber world when I wanted some stuff you can't buy in the shops.
They do have a cutting service but it isn't cheap for a couple of sheets.