Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sourcing Door handle screw fixings

Hi All,
I have a problem trying to source screw fixings for door
handles that you may be able to help me with. I had a number of
stainless steel door handles installed in my house onto firedoors, as
part of the installation these doors were routed out and a lock
installed, then door handles and escutcheons screwed onto the door .
BUT the problem is that these door handles were screwed onto the doors
with short 1 - 1.5cm screws more suitable for hinges. I have since
discovered that these door handles came with a "through" bolt / screw
which has a head on one end and a nut with another head on the other
end ( these are typically used in fixing door handles...the handles
that don't have the escutcheons included) . These screws go through
the the door handle , then through the fire door but also pass
throught the door lock ( locks have pre-defined holes for this
purpose) and finally through the door handle on the other side. Then
the nut is screwed on and tightened, as both ends have heads, when the
nut is tightened this has the effect of "clamping" the handles onto
the doors....and is substantially more robust than the 1cm screw which
pulls out in no time.Hopefully people can understand the item I'm
looking for here, otherwise I can make a photo and post it.

Where can I get these screws???? they typically come with the door
handles, but I want to order them seperately

Thanks in advance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"seamus mcloughlin" wrote in message
[...]

What you're looking for presumably are appropriate diameter standard screws
and matching sleeve nuts. For sleeve nuts see L9161 on the page below.

http://www.avonstainlessfasteners.co...ts23.htm#L9161

The screws shouldn't be too much of a problem although they may need to be
cut to an exact(ish) length with a hacksaw, while nickel plated brass sleeve
nuts are obtainable from Clerkenwell Screws.

http://www.screwfastfix.com/nuts.html

Their prices are really competitive. There may be other sources but they're
just the first place I look myself.

You'll probably need to phone and order that way.

michael adams

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Try googling for interscrews.
Stainless steel interscrews are available from boat chandlers or marine
suppliers.
Use two female fasteners connected by a suitable length of studding.
See: http://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?s=interscrew
John Weale

shower handle set screw what the heck? Nate Nagel Home Repair 2 October 3rd 10 12:17 AM
Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart timwilson Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 03:53 AM
Door Handle Replacement for uPVC Door John McLean UK diy 3 July 19th 06 01:07 PM
Sourcing a door soup UK diy 24 December 22nd 05 11:32 AM
Fitting screw fixings to plaster query Blair Malcolm UK diy 0 February 18th 05 08:43 AM