Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Squirty foam & cable

Does squirty expanding foam damage pvc cable? Specifiaclly wickes foam
on pvc T&E?

Plan is to use it to seal the gaps around celotex, some of which are
quite big, but there's cables running through.

thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct, 21:47, Tabby wrote:
Does squirty expanding foam damage pvc cable? Specifiaclly wickes foam
on pvc T&E?

Plan is to use it to seal the gaps around celotex, some of which are
quite big, but there's cables running through.

thanks, NT

The foam will be thermally insulating so use it in limited thickness.
Extensive dollops formed around heavily loaded cables could have local
overheating problems, however not many domestic cables run at full
rated load for extended periods so some latitude may be assumed. If
you are concerned you may have to derate the cable per info in the on-
site-guide
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PU is ok, and I think the blowing agent is pentane?

Make the cable contact something non-insulating such as the wall or
stud, ie, avoid surrounding the cable in insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:
Does squirty expanding foam damage pvc cable? Specifiaclly wickes foam
on pvc T&E?

If you look on the destructions on a can of Wickes foam it specifically says
that its ideal for sealing gaps around electrical cables.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct, 23:37, "The Medway Handyman" davidno-spam-
wrote:
Tabby wrote:
Does squirty expanding foam damage pvc cable? Specifiaclly wickes foam
on pvc T&E?

If you look on the destructions on a can of Wickes foam it specifically says
that its ideal for sealing gaps around electrical cables.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I often wonder about the flammabilty issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct, 21:47, Tabby wrote:
Does squirty expanding foam damage pvc cable? Specifiaclly wickes foam
on pvc T&E?

Plan is to use it to seal the gaps around celotex, some of which are
quite big, but there's cables running through.

thanks, NT

I thought this was still controversial - certainly when I Googled it
for myself a while back (after using foam for this purpose), I found
some documents suggesting that it could deplasticise PVC, and a
picture of some old, hardened, cracked cable that had been extracted
from some foam. I can't say I've really worried about it since,
though.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 02:31:12 -0700 (PDT), geraldthehamster
wrote:

I thought this was still controversial - certainly when I Googled it
for myself a while back (after using foam for this purpose), I found
some documents suggesting that it could deplasticise PVC, and a
picture of some old, hardened, cracked cable that had been extracted
from some foam. I can't say I've really worried about it since,
though.

All foams are not the same, it is polystyrene foam (usually sheet or
granules) which leaches the plasticiser from PVC cables, not
polyurethane.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Oct, 11:27, Peter Parry wrote:

All foams are not the same, it is polystyrene foam (usually sheet or
granules) which leaches the plasticiser from PVC cables, not
polyurethane. *

Despite that, I've had a BCO get ****y about it.

What was even more remarkable were the jerry built bodges he _didn't_
care about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 14, 12:18*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
Despite that, I've had a BCO get ****y about it.

A length of heatshrink tubing, polyolefin, should be ok as a sleeving
and might even make it easy to replace assuming a simple straight run.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 9:47*pm, Tabby wrote:
Does squirty expanding foam damage pvc cable? Specifiaclly wickes foam
on pvc T&E?

Plan is to use it to seal the gaps around celotex, some of which are
quite big, but there's cables running through.

thanks, NT

Thanks folks, job done. I realised that even if it did leach the
plasticiser, thats only happening where the cable is locked solid in
foam.

NT