Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Squirty foam in difficult places

I need to foam seal the join between the top of a wall and some
corrugated cement fibre sheeting - access is only from inside and it
is at the top of the slope, (ie the roof / wall angle is less than 90
degrees). I have a foam gun and foam, but the canister has to point
upwards and there IS no upwards space! Tilting the canister sideways
only allows a small part of the can volume to be used and I've 40 foot
to do.

I've tried pushing an extension tube onto the gun, but with the
shortest length able to gain access the foam barely makes it out of
the end of the 1/2" tube - any suggestions???????????????????????

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
I need to foam seal the join between the top of a wall and some
corrugated cement fibre sheeting - access is only from inside and it
is at the top of the slope, (ie the roof / wall angle is less than 90
degrees). I have a foam gun and foam, but the canister has to point
upwards and there IS no upwards space! Tilting the canister sideways
only allows a small part of the can volume to be used and I've 40 foot
to do.

I've tried pushing an extension tube onto the gun, but with the
shortest length able to gain access the foam barely makes it out of
the end of the 1/2" tube - any suggestions???????????????????????

AWEM

Why not just use the preformed foam fillers:
http://www.casupply.co.uk/acatalog/c...d_fixings.html

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson coughed up some electrons that declared:

I need to foam seal the join between the top of a wall and some
corrugated cement fibre sheeting - access is only from inside and it
is at the top of the slope, (ie the roof / wall angle is less than 90
degrees). I have a foam gun and foam, but the canister has to point
upwards and there IS no upwards space! Tilting the canister sideways
only allows a small part of the can volume to be used and I've 40 foot
to do.

I've tried pushing an extension tube onto the gun, but with the
shortest length able to gain access the foam barely makes it out of
the end of the 1/2" tube - any suggestions???????????????????????

AWEM

This is a good question, because I will need to seal in some celotex to the
wall plate...

You mentioned 1/2" pipe. Could you make an extension out of something
smaller, perhaps 8mm or even car brake pipe size? Wondered if that would
move the foam through fast enough before it gets lumpy.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Surely that's the answer (I was thinking of the stuff you get for fish
tank air pumps). The gunge comes out of the can at a fair old lick; I
can't imagine there not being enough 'oomf' available for that to work
fine. Might need a few spare lengths for when they tubes get clogged up...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:46:10 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I need to foam seal the join between the top of a wall and some corrugated
cement fibre sheeting - access is only from inside and it is at the top of
the slope, (ie the roof / wall angle is less than 90 degrees). I have a
foam gun and foam, but the canister has to point upwards and there IS no
upwards space! Tilting the canister sideways only allows a small part of
the can volume to be used and I've 40 foot to do.

I've tried pushing an extension tube onto the gun, but with the shortest
length able to gain access the foam barely makes it out of the end of the
1/2" tube - any suggestions???????????????????????

AWEM

Wickes sell a '360 degree' foam which can be used at any angle. You might
try some if you haven't already bought a lot for your foam gun.

I think the suggestion for flexible tubing on your existing gun (buy at
Halfords as 'fuel pipe') might be worth a try but I would think that large
bore might work better than small. Less resistance rather than more would
seem to be required.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero coughed up some electrons that declared:

Wickes sell a '360 degree' foam which can be used at any angle. You might
try some if you haven't already bought a lot for your foam gun.

Interesting - is it gun foam or standalone?

I think the suggestion for flexible tubing on your existing gun (buy at
Halfords as 'fuel pipe') might be worth a try but I would think that large
bore might work better than small. Less resistance rather than more would
seem to be required.

My thinking was: foam has low visocsity when it comes out the can, but that
changes very quickly.

Faster you keep it moving (small pipe) the better...

Haven't tried it though, other than short pipes on my gun (6") which caused
no problems.

Getting to my wall plates could do with a 2' probe at least...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Foam types Was: Squirty foam in difficult places

While we're on the subject, do foams come in different grades of stickiness?

I've only used Screwfix No nonsense own brand, which I would describe as not
*very* sticky, but fills gaps quite well.

For sealing in celotex to dusty old wallplates and rafters, I rather fancy
that something thats as sticky as a piece of jam toast over a white carpet
would do the job better.

I want something that really seals up well to reduce air movement from the
warm to the cold side.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:03:15 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Cicero coughed up some electrons that declared:

Wickes sell a '360 degree' foam which can be used at any angle. You
might try some if you haven't already bought a lot for your foam gun.

Interesting - is it gun foam or standalone?

snipped

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure it's standalone. I made a
mental note of it having seen it just recently.

I used (without much success) Screwfix NoNonsense a few months ago and
I've been planning to re-do the job (under stairs in a confined space) at
some time. The Wickes 360 degree cans appear to be designed to overcome
the problem of holding cans upside down.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
I have a foam gun and foam, but the canister has to point
upwards and there IS no upwards space!

Use a holesaw to make space for the can to poke thru the roof where you need
to squirt foam?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

They need to be fire rated so I'm trying tp use the red fire rated
foam

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

1/2" is a tight push fit over the tube of the gun (which has a
co-axial valve stem up it so cannot be bent)

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
I need to foam seal the join between the top of a wall and some
corrugated cement fibre sheeting - access is only from inside and it
is at the top of the slope, (ie the roof / wall angle is less than 90
degrees). I have a foam gun and foam, but the canister has to point
upwards and there IS no upwards space! Tilting the canister sideways
only allows a small part of the can volume to be used and I've 40 foot
to do.

I've tried pushing an extension tube onto the gun, but with the
shortest length able to gain access the foam barely makes it out of
the end of the 1/2" tube - any suggestions???????????????????????

My el-cheapo gun (the £10 from toolstation) came with some extension
tubes that slide over the narrowed section at the end of the metal tube.
They seem to allow the foam to be piped to head of can height easily
enough. The tubes are nothing like 1/2" though - more like 1/4" - rather
like those on the disposable cans.

I would have thought something like a length of rubber tube as one would
used on a manometer (most plumbers merchants sell it) would do nicely.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
While we're on the subject, do foams come in different grades of stickiness?

I've only used Screwfix No nonsense own brand, which I would describe as not
*very* sticky, but fills gaps quite well.

IME they all stick like **** to a blanket! (especially when you don't
want them to - a can of foam solvent it well worth having to hand).

I usually get the Siroflex one from toolstation - slightly green in
colour on application. Seems adequately sticky, and usually quite cheap.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
While we're on the subject, do foams come in different grades of stickiness?

The one I use is incredibly sticky. It has even blocked the little pipe
that attaches to the can on occasion. I've found the only "reliable" way
of using the stuff is to empty the entire can in one go. Even a delay of
a couple of minutes between squirts seems to be enough to block the pipe
sometimes.

I've also had a couple of cans fail. They have refused to part with
their contents while holding down the cap. I notice these cans have a
use by date on them and were a few months out of date; maybe that was
significant. Does the chemical go off in the can?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
Tim S wrote:
While we're on the subject, do foams come in different grades of
stickiness?

The one I use is incredibly sticky. It has even blocked the little pipe
that attaches to the can on occasion. I've found the only "reliable" way
of using the stuff is to empty the entire can in one go. Even a delay of
a couple of minutes between squirts seems to be enough to block the pipe
sometimes.

I can strongly recommend the gun version over the one with built in pipe
etc. If you attach the can to the gun and leave it there, you can part
use a can and come back to it months later; scrape any set foam off the
end of the pipe and its ready to go again. Just sooooo much better than
the disposable applicator cans.

I've also had a couple of cans fail. They have refused to part with
their contents while holding down the cap. I notice these cans have a
use by date on them and were a few months out of date; maybe that was
significant. Does the chemical go off in the can?

Again something that seems to happen more with the self contained
applicator cans. I have never really found a way of predicting or fixing
the problem though - you can find plenty of horror stories resulting
from various peoples attempts to poke screwdrivers in the end etc! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I can strongly recommend the gun version over the one with built in pipe
etc. If you attach the can to the gun and leave it there, you can part
use a can and come back to it months later; scrape any set foam off the
end of the pipe and its ready to go again. Just sooooo much better than
the disposable applicator cans.

You mean I used the best part of a can of gun cleaner for nothing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I can strongly recommend the gun version over the one with built in pipe
etc. If you attach the can to the gun and leave it there, you can part
use a can and come back to it months later; scrape any set foam off the
end of the pipe and its ready to go again. Just sooooo much better than
the disposable applicator cans.

You mean I used the best part of a can of gun cleaner for nothing?

Yup, I did that the first couple of times ;-) Works much better if you
just leave it on the gun!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:
John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I can strongly recommend the gun version over the one with built in pipe
etc. If you attach the can to the gun and leave it there, you can part
use a can and come back to it months later; scrape any set foam off the
end of the pipe and its ready to go again. Just sooooo much better than
the disposable applicator cans.

You mean I used the best part of a can of gun cleaner for nothing?

Yup, I did that the first couple of times ;-) Works much better if you
just leave it on the gun!

I should add, that if you do take a gun can off the gun, it is just as
likely to leak and de-pressurise as the normal ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 19, 10:07*pm, Tim S wrote:
While we're on the subject, do foams come in different grades of stickiness?

I've only used Screwfix No nonsense own brand, which I would describe as not
*very* sticky, but fills gaps quite well.

For sealing in celotex to dusty old wallplates and rafters, I rather fancy
that something thats as sticky as a piece of jam toast over a white carpet
would do the job better.

I prefer the Siroflex from Toolstation to the No Nonsense from
Screwfix.

Foam tends to stick better to dusty surfaces if you lightly spray them
with water first - a quick once over with a plant spray bottle is
fine.

TOURIST PLACES HOLYPLACE Home Repair 0 April 20th 08 12:51 PM
PRIVATE PLACES Hint Home Repair 1 December 9th 07 02:52 PM
Fire places George UK diy 1 November 5th 07 05:15 PM
I'm looking for help in all the wrong places. dashawn42000 Home Repair 21 June 20th 07 02:07 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM