Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm looking for help in all the wrong places.

Hi everyone. My name is Bob Jones. I am a 35 year old man from the
city of Albany, New York. I'm currently in the process of starting a
heating and cooling business. My problem is that I can't find enough
money to get the business off the ground. I've been to various places
that offer this type of help only to hear the same song and dance. "We
can't help you because of your bad credit". How am I suppose to get
credit if I can't get credit? If there is anyone out there willing to
help, please write back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dashawn42000" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone. My name is Bob Jones. I am a 35 year old man from the
city of Albany, New York. I'm currently in the process of starting a
heating and cooling business. My problem is that I can't find enough
money to get the business off the ground. I've been to various places
that offer this type of help only to hear the same song and dance. "We
can't help you because of your bad credit". How am I suppose to get
credit if I can't get credit? If there is anyone out there willing to
help, please write back.

Sounds like you have credit, but it is "bad" credit. If that is the case,
I'd suggest getting a second job and a savings account. When you have
enough, start your business. You can save $20 a month just by canceling
your internet service.

Alternative solutions are to marry a wealthy heiress. Or become a
politician; they seem to always have money, or at least have friends with
lots of money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dashawn42000" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone. My name is Bob Jones. I am a 35 year old man from the
city of Albany, New York. I'm currently in the process of starting a
heating and cooling business. My problem is that I can't find enough
money to get the business off the ground. I've been to various places
that offer this type of help only to hear the same song and dance. "We
can't help you because of your bad credit". How am I suppose to get
credit if I can't get credit? If there is anyone out there willing to
help, please write back.

you have to change your bad credit to good credit by paying off your debts
and then saving money. pay off your highest interest rate credit card as
quickly as possible while making at least minimum on other credit cards then
tear it up. pay off next highest interest rate credit card asap and then
tear it up. Make payments on time! Stop unnecessary spending. Quit going
to resstaurants, don't drink or smoke. Drink tap water. Look at all
expenses to see what you can cut out! Stick to a budget.

If you can't discipline yourself why would anyone take a financial risk on
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 1:33?pm, "Madx" wrote:
[...]

find a friend with a few bucks and give him a cut of the profit. its
hard work having a business, do you have HVAC experience?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 9:35 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 18, 1:33?pm, "Madx" wrote:

"dashawn42000" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

hard work having a business, do you have HVAC experience?- Hide quoted text -

yes, this is the type of business I'm trying to get off the ground. I
also would be willing to share profits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yes, this is the type of business I'm trying to get off the ground. I
also would be willing to share profits.- Hide quoted text -

do you have any HVAC experience? If not go to school and get some, or
get hired and trained on the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:04 am, " wrote:
yes, this is the type of business I'm trying to get off the ground. I
also would be willing to share profits.- Hide quoted text -

do you have any HVAC experience? If not go to school and get some, or
get hired and trained on the job.

I have a college degree for hvac. I've worked for every company in
Albany, New York. The problem is those companies don't pat enough for
my experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:04 am, " wrote:
yes, this is the type of business I'm trying to get off the ground. I
also would be willing to share profits.- Hide quoted text -

do you have any HVAC experience? If not go to school and get some, or
get hired and trained on the job.

I have a college degree for hvac. I've worked for every company in
Albany, New York. The problem is those companies don't pat enough for
my experience.

Move someplace that has a higher demand for HVAC technicians, then.

Or, start by moonlighting a little on the side (although that may be
verboten by a clause in your current employment arrangement) is another
way to build a neophyte business.

But, the others are correct -- unless and until you can get your
personal finances in shape, the likelihood of finding either a
traditional lender or even a silent partner to back you are pretty
slim--it just doesn't look like a good investment.

Reeks of a thread recently of another fella' wanting to startup on his
own as plumbing contractor w/ no monies and thinking he was going to bid
on a $50k+ materials-only size job as his first out of the box...just
ain't ready yet.

One question -- rough age/experience level?

While in general I think he has an obsession beyond reason about his
cause celebre, I'd suggest listening to Dave Ramsey for a while on ideas
of how to solve the first problem and get to the point of getting on to
the end goal...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:15 am, dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:04 am, " wrote:

yes, this is the type of business I'm trying to get off the ground. I
also would be willing to share profits.- Hide quoted text -

do you have any HVAC experience? If not go to school and get some, or
get hired and trained on the job.

I have a college degree for hvac. I've worked for every company in
Albany, New York. The problem is those companies don't pat enough for
my experience.

I do get jobs from time to time. I sure would love more. Do you see my
problem. If I had more jobs I would have more money. With more money I
would advertise and get more business. This is why I'm asking for
help. I am in the Albany, New York area. If you know of anyone that
can use my help, tell them to give me a ring. I specialize in service.
That means if your heating unit {boiler,furnace,hot water tank or
electric} or a/c unit is broke I can fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the OP heavily in debt? that makes it much harder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:41 am, " wrote:
Is the OP heavily in debt? that makes it much harder

I don't understand "OP" .

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:41 am, " wrote:
Is the OP heavily in debt? that makes it much harder

I don't understand "OP" .

Original Poster...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 10:07 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
Is the OP heavily in debt? that makes it much harder

His credit rating is in the toilet is the immediate problem preventing
the ability to get business financing. Which given today's crowd (and
I'm assuming from the tone and wording he's fairly young although
doesn't seem to be restricted) the other would be a good bet.

Of course, we've not seen a business plan nor know anything else about
his credentials, etc., so it's quite possible he wouldn't find takers
anyway, but assuming that's not the case, the personal finances have to
get resolved first to have a reasonable chance.

On the Dave Ramsey deal...
Whether he actually is deeply in debt besides doesn't really matter, the
ideas of budget, discipline, etc., are valid. (But, if he weren't, why
would his credit rating be so bad?) Anyway, that aside, on Ramsey--Only
the blinding obsession w/ "debt free" is "over the top" imo, but for
most of the folks he deals with who have demonstrated lack of ability to
handle their finances for multiple causes, it's not a bad way to at
least get back on track initially. They could probably do better by a
somewhat different tack, but any plan is better than none and his seems
to be more successful than many others in actually changing behavior
patterns.

--

I have no credit debt because I never had a credit card. I am a victim
of idenity theft. I don't have the resources to fix that right know. I

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 10:07 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...admittedly that one hadn't occurred to me. If so, I think there
are ways to get some relief there although it isn't easy. Fixing that
obviously is priority one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 10:31 am, dpb wrote:
dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 10:07 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
[...]

yea, tell me about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since you are doing some plumbing, I presume you have some
sort of license. Having a degree in HVAC is nice, but not complete.

Your best bet is to moonlight your talents for right now.
It'll bring in the extra $$$ you need. Seeing that its summertime
you should be loaded up with work. Going on here and trying to
find investors isnt going to happen.

I dont know much albany pays their workers, but there are always
other metro areas that pay more. You may have years of experience
but its it the right type??? (not just repair, but spec and
designing)

Tom

I have a college degree for hvac. I've worked for every company in
Albany, New York. The problem is those companies don't pat enough for
my experience.

I do get jobs from time to time. I sure would love more. Do you see my
problem. If I had more jobs I would have more money. With more money I
would advertise and get more business. This is why I'm asking for
help. I am in the Albany, New York area. If you know of anyone that
can use my help, tell them to give me a ring. I specialize in service.
That means if your heating unit {boiler,furnace,hot water tank or
electric} or a/c unit is broke I can fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 10:39 am, wrote:
[...]

electric} or a/c unit is broke I can fix it.- Hide quoted text -

maybe I'm not making myself clear. I work for myself. The jobs I get
pays my bills. I'm making a living although things could be better. I
currently don't make enough to pay for my insurance. If I could just
find the money to get me over that problem, I'm in business. Banks and
other lenders ask why don't I ask for more. The reason is because I
don't need more. My insurance cost about $1600 a year. With this
insurance I would automaticly be thrown many jobs. I could bid on
rehab property for the city. If could just get over the insurance
problem, I would be in legal business.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 10:39 am, wrote:
[...]

If you are self-employed and can't find enough small jobs to be
overwhelmed, that's unusual for almost any repair trade. If you're
relatively young (as I'm presuming) and a one-man show w/o an
established track record I would think borrowing money to pay the
liability insurance and your bond won't, on its own, be sufficient to
win city bids unless you somehow would qualify for set-asides. If
competition is really that tight where you are, there are lots of places
where that isn't so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 12:42 pm, dpb wrote:
dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 10:39 am, wrote:
[...]

I get most of my jobs during the winter months. During the summer
months, I usually do a lot of rehab work. This is because I have not
advertised for a/c service. I'm trying to correct this. Currently
there are a number of service providers out there that will throw me a
lot of work. But I have to have insurance. The work is there, plenty,I
just don't have insurance. As far as the city is concerned, there are
all of abandoned buildings in the area that need fixing up. Again, I
have that insurance problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 19, 12:42 pm, dpb wrote:

relatively young (as I'm presuming) and a one-man show w/o an
established track record I would think borrowing money to pay the
liability insurance and your bond won't, on its own, be sufficient to
win city bids unless you somehow would qualify for set-asides. If
competition is really that tight where you are, there are lots of places
where that isn't so.

I get most of my jobs during the winter months. During the summer
months, I usually do a lot of rehab work. This is because I have not
advertised for a/c service. I'm trying to correct this. Currently
there are a number of service providers out there that will throw me a
lot of work. But I have to have insurance. The work is there, plenty,I
just don't have insurance. ...

I think you mentioned something like $1600/annum--that's less than
$150/mo. Normally insurance carriers will provide billing on annual,
semi-annual, quarterly, or even monthly intervals. It might cost a
small premium, but probably not more than 10% max.

If you can't come up w/ $150 in a couple of months, you're not charging
enough or not working enough, or both. You certainly should be able to
find plenty of A/C work for individual homeowners at this time of year
with nothing more than seasonal inspections/startup woes, etc., to not
even need referrals. If you're that strapped, my suggestion would be to
a year and work during that time to build up some cash reserves.

Best advice I have, unfortunately. Good luck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

pat on head

--

Christopher A. Young