Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Farnell/CPC/RS carriage/minimum order

Can anyone summarise the carriage charges for small non-account orders at
Farnell, CPC and RS? I thought Farnell went free postage for any order
size, then I read that they withdrew from that. Do any of them still have a
minimum order value?

All of them seem to make it extra specially hard to find out this
information on their websites.

Thanks
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo Markettos
writes
Can anyone summarise the carriage charges for small non-account orders at
Farnell, CPC and RS? I thought Farnell went free postage for any order
size, then I read that they withdrew from that. Do any of them still have a
minimum order value?

All of them seem to make it extra specially hard to find out this
information on their websites.

All 3 state their delivery charges in the Terms section linked to from
the bottom of their home pages.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
All 3 state their delivery charges in the Terms section linked to from
the bottom of their home pages.

Ah thanks. I was foolishly looking in the 'Help' sections and hoping that
they would actually be helpful

For the record:

Farnell/CPC:
5.95 orders under GBP30
4.25 orders GBP30-40
1.99 orders GBP40-45
free above GBP45

RS:
4.95 orders under GBP20
(I think, or maybe that's all orders for non-account customers)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Theo Markettos
wrote

free above GBP45

For CPC it's GBP45 excluding VAT so it's more like GBP53 for free
postage.
(I believe that the small order charges are also excl. VAT)
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
For CPC it's GBP45 excluding VAT so it's more like GBP53 for free
postage.

Ah, looks like it might be time to smile sweetly at Rapid (though they
always make reaching the order threshold so much harder, darn those low
prices ;-). They also seem to have gone Polish, randomly:
http://www.rapidonline.pl/

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:33:10 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

fred wrote:
All 3 state their delivery charges in the Terms section linked to from
the bottom of their home pages.

Ah thanks. I was foolishly looking in the 'Help' sections and hoping
that they would actually be helpful

For the record:

Farnell/CPC:
5.95 orders under GBP30
4.25 orders GBP30-40
1.99 orders GBP40-45
free above GBP45

But note that Farnell non-account customers have to pay by credit card,
and there's a £20 minimum order value (ex VAT). Look under 'Services and
Help' at the top, Delivery Options, and scroll around a lot.

RS:
4.95 orders under GBP20
(I think, or maybe that's all orders for non-account customers)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

Rapid has poor service,take orders,and when you ask them where it is
tell you it`s on back order.
Farnell seems to keep everything I want in the States and charge a
surcharge for it.
CPC=non league.
RS,not perfect,not cheap but always seem to have what I want and I
think the postage is free.
For general electrical stuff C.E.F. is never beat on price for me.All
these online retailers pushed on here always seem very expensive to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
All 3 state their delivery charges in the Terms section linked to from
the bottom of their home pages.

Ah thanks. I was foolishly looking in the 'Help' sections and hoping
that they would actually be helpful

For the record:

Farnell/CPC:
5.95 orders under GBP30
4.25 orders GBP30-40
1.99 orders GBP40-45
free above GBP45

But note that Farnell non-account customers have to pay by credit card,
and there's a £20 minimum order value (ex VAT). Look under 'Services and
Help' at the top, Delivery Options, and scroll around a lot.

RS:
4.95 orders under GBP20
(I think, or maybe that's all orders for non-account customers)

If the P&P is likely to be a significant proportion of your
order value, bitsbox.co.uk only charge £1.50 per order, which
is a much more honest reflection of their true costs.

--
http://www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.or...0170824564.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

True costs will vary depending on the carrier, of course. Bitsbox is good
*if* they have what you want. Recently, I wanted a particular microswitch
(to repair a mouse), and only Farnell had it.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Rapid has poor service,take orders,and when you ask them where it is
tell you it`s on back order.

That's never been a problem in the past, but I haven't ordered for ages.
Quite a bit of stuff on their website seems to be out of stock though.

RS,not perfect,not cheap but always seem to have what I want and I
think the postage is free.

Are you sure about that? Their website seems to suggest it's 4.95 for any
private orders, or they might charge that for account orders under 20
pounds.

For general electrical stuff C.E.F. is never beat on price for me.All
these online retailers pushed on here always seem very expensive to me.

At the moment I'm looking for traceable parts: in other words I don't just
want any capacitor, I want something with a part number I can use to look up
the datasheet (because I need to run them at 2GHz). So generic suppliers
won't do. The other option is eBay, if the sellers are good enough to put
the part number on the listing (rather than a single blurry picture of
something that might perhaps be a component). But that only works if you
can get all the bits from one place.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:36:42 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

mark wrote:
[...]

Have you looked at Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.co.uk). Masses of choice,
and data sheets.

Only snag is 12 quid shipping if under 50 quid order. Order on day 1,
delivered on day 3 (excluding weekends). You have to pay the VAT to the
UPS man on delivery - it all comes from the USA.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos writes:
Alan wrote:
For CPC it's GBP45 excluding VAT so it's more like GBP53 for free
postage.

Ah, looks like it might be time to smile sweetly at Rapid (though they
always make reaching the order threshold so much harder, darn those low
prices ;-). They also seem to have gone Polish, randomly:
http://www.rapidonline.pl/

Rapid would get a lot more orders from me if they didn't periodically
lose the contents of my basket. I build up things in baskets over time
as I consume them, and then order if something I need runs out, or the
basket gets to a reaonable size. On many occasions, Rapid have simply
lost the whole basket, so they don't get the order. Furthermore, I
don't even start building up a basket anymore - they only get an order
if I can think of enough things to buy from them on the spur of the
moment.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
wrote

Rapid would get a lot more orders from me if they didn't periodically
lose the contents of my basket. I build up things in baskets over time
as I consume them, and then order if something I need runs out, or the
basket gets to a reaonable size. On many occasions, Rapid have simply
lost the whole basket,

Doesn't the basket content get stored on your own machine as a cookie?
You may be deleting it as a result of clean up, disk optimisation or
running something like Ad-aware or a virus checker.
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
Have you looked at Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.co.uk). Masses of choice,
and data sheets.

I'd temporarily forgotten about them. I hope they make some inroads,
would be good to shake the market up a bit.

Only snag is 12 quid shipping if under 50 quid order. Order on day 1,
delivered on day 3 (excluding weekends). You have to pay the VAT to the
UPS man on delivery - it all comes from the USA.

Ah. I thought they were shipping from the UK, though that delivery doesn't
sound so bad. Pity they can't pre-qualify the VAT - various other US
suppliers can (to the point of adding VAT to an order that would ordinary
scrape through the 'under 18 pounds' limit). Do you just pay the VAT, or
any additional fees to UPS (like you do with Royal Mail)? What happens to
business orders if not VAT registered... does Goods Inwards have to wave a
credit card?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:20:37 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
Have you looked at Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.co.uk). Masses of
choice, and data sheets.

I'd temporarily forgotten about them. I hope they make some inroads,
would be good to shake the market up a bit.

Only snag is 12 quid shipping if under 50 quid order. Order on day 1,
delivered on day 3 (excluding weekends). You have to pay the VAT to the
UPS man on delivery - it all comes from the USA.

Ah. I thought they were shipping from the UK, though that delivery
doesn't sound so bad. Pity they can't pre-qualify the VAT - various
other US suppliers can (to the point of adding VAT to an order that
would ordinary scrape through the 'under 18 pounds' limit). Do you just
pay the VAT, or any additional fees to UPS (like you do with Royal
Mail)?

I haven't used them for a few months, but I just handed cash to the UPS
guy on the doorstep.

What happens to business orders if not VAT registered... does
Goods Inwards have to wave a credit card?

No idea!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Sorry...no additional fees. When I used the other one (Mouser) there was
about 8 quid extra to pay.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:50:18 -0700, Owain wrote:

On Oct 11, 9:30Â*am, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Rapid would get a lot more orders from me if they didn't periodically
lose the contents of my basket. I build up things in baskets over time
as I consume them, and then order if something I need runs out, or the
basket gets to a reaonable size.

They might do this to prevent stock being reserved but never actually
bought.

But they could let you set up a wishlist which you could then add to an
order easily.

I think CPC do this by letting you put anything in the basket, stock
levels notwithstanding. You just have to check the 'in stock' column
before checking out.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan writes:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
wrote

Rapid would get a lot more orders from me if they didn't periodically
lose the contents of my basket. I build up things in baskets over time
as I consume them, and then order if something I need runs out, or the
basket gets to a reaonable size. On many occasions, Rapid have simply
lost the whole basket,

Doesn't the basket content get stored on your own machine as a cookie?

Really?

You may be deleting it as a result of clean up, disk optimisation or
running something like Ad-aware or a virus checker.

None of that. But I have several different computers I run browsers
on, so if I login on a new one and there's no cookie there, that might
explain why the basket is lost. Certainly not come across that with
any other shopping basket.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Oct 2010 22:20:37 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

No additional fees -just the VAT, but the vat is on the goods plus the notional value of the 'free'
delivery.
Yes you pay on delivery unless you have a UPS deferment account.

BTW Mouser are also now doing free delivery over £50, and are usually cheaper than both Digikey and
Farnell. Mouser also offer Fedex, who I think send a VAT invoice later rather than collecting on
delivery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Fedex do that, but also charge a handling fee of a few %. At least
that was the case on my last Fedex import.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

snip
At the moment I'm looking for traceable parts: in other words I don't just
want any capacitor, I want something with a part number I can use to look up
the datasheet (because I need to run them at 2GHz).

ITYM "identifiable" parts. "Traceable" means something else entirely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceability (see under logistics section).

HTH.

Farnell N055P300 SMPS data? Mike Electronics Repair 0 July 4th 10 01:20 PM
JST-SM connectors, m/c wire and Farnell T i m UK diy 32 December 5th 09 11:07 PM
CPC vs Farnell? adrian UK diy 32 May 14th 09 09:28 AM
Farnell l30 .05Ma power supply help ???? paul405 Electronics Repair 0 November 23rd 04 01:03 PM
farnell L30 Power supply help? paul405 Electronics Repair 1 November 14th 04 10:29 PM