Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best quick finish for kids sheleving.

Probably going to get some Ikea Ivar storage for the kids room. Mostly
shelving and drawers. It's made from untreated pine.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=ivar&pageNumber=0

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of
coats of quick drying varnish?

I'm not really worried about the 'best' finish, it will no doubt get a
hard life anyway, just something to protect it from stains and grub,
make it easier to clean, look fairly nice and be reasonably quick and
easy to apply so that I actually do the job rather than having it
sitting erected in the garage while I find a round tuit
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote:

Probably going to get some Ikea Ivar storage for the kids room. Mostly
shelving and drawers. It's made from untreated pine.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=ivar&pageNumber=0

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of coats
of quick drying varnish?

I'm not really worried about the 'best' finish, it will no doubt get a
hard life anyway, just something to protect it from stains and grub, make
it easier to clean, look fairly nice and be reasonably quick and easy to
apply so that I actually do the job rather than having it sitting erected
in the garage while I find a round tuit
--
Chris French

How about some left-over emulsion? You can apply two coats on the same day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:32:48 +0100, chris French wrote:

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of
coats of quick drying varnish?

Maybe, or a single coat of a thin paint designed to let the grain
show through and adds colour to the kids room. We used it on some
plain pine shelfing units. Can't for the life of me remember what it
was called...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:47:02 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:32:48 +0100, chris French wrote:

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of
coats of quick drying varnish?

Maybe, or a single coat of a thin paint designed to let the grain
show through and adds colour to the kids room. We used it on some
plain pine shelfing units. Can't for the life of me remember what it
was called...

Poster paint?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message

Probably going to get some Ikea Ivar storage for the kids room. Mostly
shelving and drawers. It's made from untreated pine.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=ivar&pageNumber=0

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of coats
of quick drying varnish?

I'm not really worried about the 'best' finish, it will no doubt get a
hard life anyway, just something to protect it from stains and grub, make
it easier to clean, look fairly nice and be reasonably quick and easy to
apply so that I actually do the job rather than having it sitting erected
in the garage while I find a round tuit
--
Chris French

Unless you particularly want to hide the wood, the diamond hard (but not
necessarily the floor grade) varnish, will soak in somewhat and give a
harder, less tacky, finish than paint.
There was quite a lot of the 'cherry' colour going cheap on ebay etc a few
weeks back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/1/2010 4:32 AM, chris French wrote:

Probably going to get some Ikea Ivar storage for the kids room. Mostly
shelving and drawers. It's made from untreated pine.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=ivar&pageNumber=0

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of
coats of quick drying varnish?

I'm not really worried about the 'best' finish, it will no doubt get a
hard life anyway, just something to protect it from stains and grub,
make it easier to clean, look fairly nice and be reasonably quick and
easy to apply so that I actually do the job rather than having it
sitting erected in the garage while I find a round tuit

We used shellac on the Ivar shelves in Daughter's room. Fast, looks
fine, easy to renew, and still looks good years later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:32:48 +0100, chris French wrote:

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of
coats of quick drying varnish?

Maybe, or a single coat of a thin paint designed to let the grain
show through and adds colour to the kids room. We used it on some
plain pine shelfing units. Can't for the life of me remember what it
was called...

I've used diluted emulsion for this in the past and it worked very well.
Wouldn't resist stains at all but it was fine for cheap clothing
storage.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
Probably going to get some Ikea Ivar storage for the kids room. Mostly
shelving and drawers. It's made from untreated pine.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=ivar&pageNumber=0

What do we reckon is the best quick(ish) finish for it? A couple of
coats of quick drying varnish?

I'm not really worried about the 'best' finish, it will no doubt get a
hard life anyway, just something to protect it from stains and grub,
make it easier to clean, look fairly nice and be reasonably quick and
easy to apply so that I actually do the job rather than having it
sitting erected in the garage while I find a round tuit

Oil?
http://www.colron.co.uk/prodshow.asp... ls&intext=int

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman