Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Now that is one F****ing Cheeky *******

About 2 months ago my Brother asked if his neighbour could borrow my cement
mixer to put up some fence posts.

No big deal, so I said yes.

I went round an hour ago to collect it as I need it next week (he finished
the posts about 3 weeks ago) only to find out the neighbour has bloody sub
let the mixer out to his mate.

I consider my cement mixer is one of those things that should be "rented
out" for a crate of beer. I paid £130 for it 2 years ago and I have had over
£200 back in beer or beer tokens for letting people borrow it.

But sub-letting it is really taking the ****.

Rant over.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/27/2010 3:55 PM, ARWadsworth wrote:
About 2 months ago my Brother asked if his neighbour could borrow my cement
mixer to put up some fence posts.

No big deal, so I said yes.

I went round an hour ago to collect it as I need it next week (he finished
the posts about 3 weeks ago) only to find out the neighbour has bloody sub
let the mixer out to his mate.

I consider my cement mixer is one of those things that should be "rented
out" for a crate of beer. I paid £130 for it 2 years ago and I have had over
£200 back in beer or beer tokens for letting people borrow it.

But sub-letting it is really taking the ****.

Rant over.

I've never understand how some folk think that they have a right to lend
out something that doesn't belong to them.

Was your brother aware of this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are lucky, he had not sold it and kept the proceeds...

My brother wanted to borrow Adobe Photoshop (full version), Corel
Draw, Xara etc for evaluation. I deleted them off my machine as not
being used at that time anyway. However later on I needed them, only
to find he had sold his PC to buy a Mac G4 "depreciation brick"...
along with all the software and registration certificates etc.

The real bummer is if he had a brain he would have bought Apple shares
- I sold my Apple shares to buy the software, wonder what £700 in
AAPL circa 1998 would be worth today... probably something silly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2010 22:45, js.b1 wrote:

The real bummer is if he had a brain he would have bought Apple shares
- I sold my Apple shares to buy the software, wonder what £700 in
AAPL circa 1998 would be worth today... probably something silly.

A small house. Why didn't you sell them to me?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/09/2010 22:45, js.b1 wrote:

The real bummer is if he had a brain he would have bought Apple shares
- I sold my Apple shares to buy the software, wonder what £700 in
AAPL circa 1998 would be worth today... probably something silly.

A small house. Why didn't you sell them to me?

Low of about $3.3 a high of about $8 in 98.
Now about $290.
So £700 then between about £61k and about £25k.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 11:13*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
Low of about $3.3 a high of about $8 in 98. Now about $290.
So £700 then between about £61k and about £25k.

Sigh...

Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

I went round an hour ago to collect it as I need it next week (he finished
the posts about 3 weeks ago) only to find out the neighbour has bloody sub
let the mixer out to his mate.

A so-called mate borrowed my Portapak which I'd left in the keeping of
another friend while I was away. His shed got broken into and the
contents removed, including my kit.
I got the value of it back in kind, but it still rankled. The ****ers
that borrow things once-removed don't really give a stuff about your
kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

About 2 months ago my Brother asked if his neighbour could borrow my
cement mixer to put up some fence posts.

No big deal, so I said yes.

I went round an hour ago to collect it as I need it next week (he
finished the posts about 3 weeks ago) only to find out the neighbour
has bloody sub let the mixer out to his mate.

I hope you recovered it from the mate immediately and with no further
argument.

I have just got back from the "mates" house. A really nice bloke who did not
know what had happened.

I have let him keep the mixer until Sunday so he can finish his job. I don't
need it until Monday, I was just taking advantage of an empty van to get it
moved.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

About 2 months ago my Brother asked if his neighbour could borrow
my cement mixer to put up some fence posts.

No big deal, so I said yes.

I went round an hour ago to collect it as I need it next week (he
finished the posts about 3 weeks ago) only to find out the
neighbour has bloody sub let the mixer out to his mate.

I hope you recovered it from the mate immediately and with no
further argument.

I have just got back from the "mates" house. A really nice bloke who
did not know what had happened.

I have let him keep the mixer until Sunday so he can finish his job.
I don't need it until Monday, I was just taking advantage of an
empty van to get it moved.

Good for you for being generous, then.

There were 4 things that I liked

1. The mixer was chained up to a cast iron fall pipe
2. The mixer was clean
3. I'll get a crate of beer off the guy
4. He will drop the mixer off at my house to save me having to empty my van.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/10 12:08, ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Tim wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

5) and kick your mutual mate in the nuts for being a cheeky sod?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/28/2010 7:08 AM, ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim wrote:
In ,
wrote:
Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Glad it's working out so well - could easily have been a disaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

I went round an hour ago to collect it as I need it next week (he
finished the posts about 3 weeks ago) only to find out the neighbour
has bloody sub let the mixer out to his mate.

A so-called mate borrowed my Portapak which I'd left in the keeping of
another friend while I was away. His shed got broken into and the
contents removed, including my kit.
I got the value of it back in kind, but it still rankled. The ****ers
that borrow things once-removed don't really give a stuff about your
kit.

I lent an electric drill and bits to a neighbour, when he returned it he
complained to me that the drill bit he needed to use broke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/28/2010 8:48 AM, Scion wrote:

I lent an electric drill and bits to a neighbour, when he returned it he
complained to me that the drill bit he needed to use broke!

I'd have apologised about the break, and given you a replacement bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep, 23:22, "js.b1" wrote:

Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel :-)

I watched the repeat of 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on Sunday; it's
dated, though probably not as much as me. I noticed that Snowy Malone
ran back to get his plastering trowel before trying to leg it from the
DHSS sniffers; I missed that detail first time around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:
On 27 Sep, 23:22, "js.b1" wrote:

Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel :-)

I watched the repeat of 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on Sunday; it's
dated, though probably not as much as me. I noticed that Snowy Malone
ran back to get his plastering trowel before trying to leg it from the
DHSS sniffers; I missed that detail first time around.

So he does. I never noticed that befo-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2010 23:13, dennis@home wrote:

Low of about $3.3 a high of about $8 in 98.
Now about $290.
So £700 then between about £61k and about £25k.

Two splits on the way. Quadruple that number.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , S Viemeister
writes
On 9/28/2010 8:48 AM, Scion wrote:

I lent an electric drill and bits to a neighbour, when he returned it he
complained to me that the drill bit he needed to use broke!

I'd have apologised about the break, and given you a replacement bit.

Many years ago, I was waiting to be served at our local motor parts
outlet. Customer before me was returning a set of hub or bearing
pullers. He got his deposit and had just left the shop when the owner,
for no apparent reason, picked up the pullers and threw them down on the
hardboard topped counter.

Nobody said a word as he examined the broken off *tang* which had been
glued back in position:-)

(having written tang, I am now wondering if that is the correct word,
barb? Hook?). Anyway, the vulnerable bit.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/10 15:41, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
On 27 Sep, 23:22, wrote:

Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel :-)

I watched the repeat of 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on Sunday; it's
dated, though probably not as much as me. I noticed that Snowy Malone
ran back to get his plastering trowel before trying to leg it from the
DHSS sniffers; I missed that detail first time around.

So he does. I never noticed that befo-)

Ivan in
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
also has his special trowel hidden in the ice,
if i rmember correctly.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Onetap" wrote in message
On 27 Sep, 23:22, "js.b1" wrote:

Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel :-)

I watched the repeat of 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on Sunday; it's
dated, though probably not as much as me. I noticed that Snowy Malone
ran back to get his plastering trowel before trying to leg it from
the DHSS sniffers; I missed that detail first time around.

Did the DHSS get him because of the trowel?

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgt3D...eature=related

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Doctor Drivel
scribeth thus

"Onetap" wrote in message
On 27 Sep, 23:22, "js.b1" wrote:

Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel :-)

I watched the repeat of 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on Sunday; it's
dated, though probably not as much as me. I noticed that Snowy Malone
ran back to get his plastering trowel before trying to leg it from the
DHSS sniffers; I missed that detail first time around.

Did the DHSS get him because of the trowel?

Appalling. The way Thatcher persecuted the working class in those days. Now
Cameron will do the same. Nothing changes with them.

Oh!, No he won't, 'cos they'll be no one working anywhere so the
working class will become the claimant class;!!!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 9/28/2010 8:48 AM, Scion wrote:

I lent an electric drill and bits to a neighbour, when he returned
it he complained to me that the drill bit he needed to use broke!

I'd have apologised about the break, and given you a replacement bit.

Yes, you and any other normal person.

He still came round to borrow stuff afterwards. Funny enough, I always
seemed to have lent it to someone else...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2010 23:32, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Onetap" wrote in message
On 27 Sep, 23:22, "js.b1" wrote:

Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel :-)

I watched the repeat of 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on Sunday; it's
dated, though probably not as much as me. I noticed that Snowy Malone
ran back to get his plastering trowel before trying to leg it from the
DHSS sniffers; I missed that detail first time around.

Did the DHSS get him because of the trowel?

Appalling. The way Thatcher persecuted the working class in those days.
Now Cameron will do the same. Nothing changes with them.

You have mud-tinted specs on.

Do you remember Harry Enfields "loadsamoney" character?

The second half of the 80's was a boom time for tradesman. The area I
worked at the time had "negative unemployment" i.e. on average everyone
had at least one job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex7" wrote in message
: On 28/09/2010 23:32, Doctor Drivel wrote:
:
: "Onetap" wrote in message
:
: On 27 Sep, 23:22, "js.b1" wrote:
:
: Cement mixers are personal though, like a plastering trowel
:-)
:
: I watched the repeat of 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on
Sunday; it's
: dated, though probably not as much as me. I noticed that
Snowy Malone
: ran back to get his plastering trowel before trying to leg
it from the
: DHSS sniffers; I missed that detail first time around.
:
: Did the DHSS get him because of the trowel?
:
: Appalling. The way Thatcher persecuted the working class in
those days.
: Now Cameron will do the same. Nothing changes with them.
:
:
: You have mud-tinted specs on.

No, he just has a different tint than you, although why Drivel
thinks that it was OK to defraud the (then) DHSS...

:
: Do you remember Harry Enfields "loadsamoney" character?

Yes, and the point being made wasn't anything to be boast about
then, nor now, whilst the "Enfields" character was very apt for
that time it was also some 20 years before its time too.

:
: The second half of the 80's was a boom time for tradesman. The
area I
: worked at the time had "negative unemployment" i.e. on average
everyone
: had at least one job.

The 1980s were very polarised, those who had work did very nicely
indeed but there was also many areas of the UK were it was
getting very close to 75% plus unemployment - even during the
second half of the decade which was generally better than the
first half.
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Sep, 18:06, "Jerry" wrote:

No, he just has a different tint than you, although why Drivel
thinks that it was OK to defraud the (then) DHSS...

Desperate men with no income, through no fault of their own, do
whatever they need to in order to provide.

As the man said, "You'd eat dog. You'd fight for the bones too."

I'm surprised at Drivel, with his militant tendencies, not being
familiar with the classics.

Gizza job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scion wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 9/28/2010 8:48 AM, Scion wrote:

I lent an electric drill and bits to a neighbour, when he returned
it he complained to me that the drill bit he needed to use broke!

I'd have apologised about the break, and given you a replacement bit.

Yes, you and any other normal person.

That's what a normal person does.

He still came round to borrow stuff afterwards. Funny enough, I always
seemed to have lent it to someone else...

Now the real odd ball is the next door neighbour that lives below me. He has
lived there for about 6 years and for the last six years he has borrowed my
electric hedge trimmers a couple of times a year. When he has finished with
them he always buys me a bottle of wine as a thank you. He could have bought
a pair of hedge trimmers for less than the cost of the wine!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Onetap" wrote in message

On 27 Sep, 23:22, "js.b1" wrote:

[...]

Can you name somewhere that had a 75% plus unemployment rate?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2010 19:55, ARWadsworth wrote:

Now the real odd ball is the next door neighbour that lives below me. He has
lived there for about 6 years and for the last six years he has borrowed my
electric hedge trimmers a couple of times a year. When he has finished with
them he always buys me a bottle of wine as a thank you. He could have bought
a pair of hedge trimmers for less than the cost of the wine!

Then he'd have to store them, service them, and not talk to his neighbours.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
: Jerry wrote:

snip
:
: The 1980s were very polarised, those who had work did very
nicely
: indeed but there was also many areas of the UK were it was
: getting very close to 75% plus unemployment - even during the
: second half of the decade which was generally better than the
: first half.
:
:
: Can you name somewhere that had a 75% plus unemployment rate?
:

Wasn't Corby one such area, Consett another, being more of less
one industry towns, hence why so much regeneration money had to
be pumped into the areas in the latter half of the 1980s after
the steel works closed. There must also have been many other
communities, such as mining, that suffered similarly.
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Can you name somewhere that had a 75% plus unemployment rate?

Probably jerry's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:27:04 +0100, Jerry wrote:

Wasn't Corby one such area, Consett another, being more of less one
industry towns,

At least Corby had the trouser press! .-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Now the real odd ball is the next door neighbour that lives below me. He has
lived there for about 6 years and for the last six years he has borrowed my
electric hedge trimmers a couple of times a year. When he has finished with
them he always buys me a bottle of wine as a thank you. He could have bought
a pair of hedge trimmers for less than the cost of the wine!

It's cheaper to hire anything you'd fly, ****, or ride.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Jerry wrote:

snip

The 1980s were very polarised, those who had work did very nicely
indeed but there was also many areas of the UK were it was
getting very close to 75% plus unemployment - even during the
second half of the decade which was generally better than the
first half.

Can you name somewhere that had a 75% plus unemployment rate?

Wasn't Corby one such area, Consett another, being more of less
one industry towns, hence why so much regeneration money had to
be pumped into the areas in the latter half of the 1980s after
the steel works closed. There must also have been many other
communities, such as mining, that suffered similarly.

Maybe a 30% unemployment rate not 75%.

I believe Grimethorpe was classed as the poorest village in the UK after
it's mines closed but that would have been in the early 1990s. Around half
of the male workforce in Grimethorpe would have have worked down or at the
pits at the time of the miners strike but that number would have been less
by the time the pits closed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
: Jerry wrote:

snip
:
: Can you name somewhere that had a 75% plus unemployment
rate?
:
:
: Wasn't Corby one such area, Consett another, being more of
less
: one industry towns, hence why so much regeneration money had
: be pumped into the areas in the latter half of the 1980s
after
: the steel works closed. There must also have been many other
: communities, such as mining, that suffered similarly.
:
: Maybe a 30% unemployment rate not 75%.

A typical unthinking right wing Thatcherite, dogmatic, comment...

Like with other areas of high unemployment in the 80s and early
90s a quoted figure (of 30% in this case) was the official
figure, it didn't take account of those who didn't/couldn't make
a UB40 or equivalent claim, nor did it take account of those who
had taken early retirement.
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jerry" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Like with other areas of high unemployment in the 80s and early 90s a
quoted figure (of 30% in this case) was the official figure, it didn't
take account of those who didn't/couldn't make a UB40 or equivalent
claim, nor did it take account of those who had taken early retirement.

In other words, it counted those who were without work but ready,
willing, able and available to work.

Isn't that kinda what the unemployment figures are meant to count?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 11:27*am, "Jerry" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

: Jerry wrote:

snip
:
: Can you name somewhere that had a 75% plus unemployment
rate?
:
:
: Wasn't Corby one such area, Consett another, being more of
less
: one industry towns, hence why so much regeneration money had
: be pumped into the areas in the latter half of the 1980s
after
: the steel works closed. There must also have been many other
: communities, such as mining, that suffered similarly.
:
: Maybe a 30% unemployment rate not 75%.

A typical unthinking right wing Thatcherite, dogmatic, comment...

Like with other areas of high unemployment in the 80s and early
90s a quoted figure (of 30% in this case) was the official
figure, it didn't take account of those who didn't

Through their own choice, presumably.

/couldn't make
a UB40 or equivalent claim,

Anyone can make a cliam. It may be refused.

nor did it take account of those who
had taken early retirement.

Oh, you mean *pensioners*. Before you start with the abuse, my father
was one such who took early retirement, through the job release
scheme, so that a younger person could have his job. I know plenty
about the problems of the 80s/90s and don't need a lecture from you.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:27 am, "Jerry" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Jerry wrote:

snip

[...]

Did your father have to sign on after taking early retirement? I remember
mine did (back in 94) or was supposed to (he was always on holiday) before
taking a part time job.

I don't recall a job release scheme, he just took early retirment as British
Coal were offering silly money and a pension for people who were 50 years
old.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"Jerry" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Like with other areas of high unemployment in the 80s and early 90s a
quoted figure (of 30% in this case) was the official figure, it
didn't take account of those who didn't/couldn't make a UB40 or
equivalent claim, nor did it take account of those who had taken
early retirement.

In other words, it counted those who were without work but ready,
willing, able and available to work.

Isn't that kinda what the unemployment figures are meant to count?

But Jerry prefers to make his own figures up.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 12:14*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

On Sep 30, 11:27 am, "Jerry" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Jerry wrote:

snip

[...]

I don't know, I wasn't living at home by then, but I think he was
fully retired.

mine did (back in 94) or was supposed to (he was always on holiday) before
taking a part time job.

I don't recall a job release scheme, he just took early retirment as British
Coal were offering silly money and a pension for people who were 50 years
old.

It was a government scheme which meant his company pension was topped
up so he could retire on the same terms as if he'd carried on working
until 65. I'm guessing he also got the state pension s few years early
as well.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
: "Jerry" gurgled happily,
sounding much
: like they were saying:
:
: Like with other areas of high unemployment in the 80s and
early 90s a
: quoted figure (of 30% in this case) was the official figure,
it didn't
: take account of those who didn't/couldn't make a UB40 or
equivalent
: claim, nor did it take account of those who had taken early
retirement.
:
: In other words, it counted those who were without work but
ready,
: willing, able and available to work.
:
: Isn't that kinda what the unemployment figures are meant to
count?

Many would have worked if there had been work, many could not
claim (for what ever reason), thus many who were ready, willing
and able to work were not counted in official figures.
--
Regards, Jerry.

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 ARWadsworth UK diy 349 July 18th 10 12:40 PM
OT Cheeky Bastard ARWadsworth UK diy 32 June 13th 10 01:02 PM
Cheeky beggers Jim S UK diy 29 January 14th 09 02:50 PM
Cheeky Git! The Medway Handyman UK diy 111 November 26th 06 03:56 PM