Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default adding sockets on radial circuit

Hello,

Radial circuit on 20 amp MCB which in France allows up to 8
sockets.

I want to add 3 sockets #before# the present ones in a
bedroom, but that would make 9 on that circuit. I was
thinking of a blanking plate over one of the present
sockets, but would it be all right to join the wires behind
the plate, or should it be replace with new ?

John

--
John Mulrooney

No matter how early you arrive, someone else is in line first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:
Hello,

Radial circuit on 20 amp MCB which in France allows up to 8
sockets.

I want to add 3 sockets #before# the present ones in a
bedroom, but that would make 9 on that circuit. I was
thinking of a blanking plate over one of the present
sockets, but would it be all right to join the wires behind
the plate, or should it be replace with new ?

John

I would just add what you want even if the total is 9. The French are
not known for their total adherence to regulation. The MCB is protecting
the cable and will trip if the total load is too much.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2010 12:45, Bob Minchin wrote:
JTM wrote:

Radial circuit on 20 amp MCB which in France allows up to 8
sockets.

I want to add 3 sockets #before# the present ones in a
bedroom, but that would make 9 on that circuit. I was
thinking of a blanking plate over one of the present
sockets, but would it be all right to join the wires behind
the plate, or should it be replace with new ?

I would just add what you want even if the total is 9. The French are
not known for their total adherence to regulation. The MCB is protecting
the cable and will trip if the total load is too much.

I wouldn't necessarily argue with the above!; but your proposal sounds
fine (unless there's some French reason why it's not allowed...)
Certainly if it was wanting to blank off a socket in the UK that's
exactly what I'd do - join the wires by crimping or using an
appropriately rated choc-box-style connector.

David

adding new kitchen sockets without part P Robert Laws UK diy 59 June 17th 07 10:14 PM
2.5mm radial circuit? John UK diy 4 August 9th 06 06:12 PM
Radial Circuit SantaUK UK diy 5 April 28th 06 07:48 PM
Convert radial (cooker) circuit to socket circuit Chi UK diy 3 December 23rd 03 05:48 PM