Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealing holes through walls for wires

I'm knocking holes through walls to put wires through,
mains electric and ethernet.
I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?
Is there a better way to do it?
Someone said using metal would cause induction.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I'm knocking holes through walls to put wires through,
mains electric and ethernet.
I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?
Is there a better way to do it?
Someone said using metal would cause induction.

Only if you have a brain te size of a peanut encased in a tinfoil hat.

Where IS dennis today?
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I'm knocking holes through walls to put wires through,
mains electric and ethernet.
I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?
Is there a better way to do it?
Someone said using metal would cause induction.

[g]

e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56102/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Sep, 16:14, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
I'm knocking holes through walls to put wires through,
mains electric and ethernet.
I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?
Is there a better way to do it?
Someone said using metal would cause induction.

[g]

If you don't need to get them out just plaster/cement up. If you do,
use intumescent seal. Comes in the same tubes as silicon sealant.
Expands when heated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?

You may not need to. Per the regulations, a conduit up to 32mm
diameter is acceptable without.

Above that, you need a barrier that achieves the same degree of fire
protection as the wall already achieved. This doesn't mean the same
construction, merely that if the wall was already required to have 1/2
hour resistance, the duct should do so too.

You probably need a draught barrier anyway.

Is there a better way to do it?

An intumescent barrier is one that's not necessarily a barrier when
cold, but will expand to form one during the heat of a fire.
Intumescent mastics (Screwfix etc., cheap) are convenient for small
ducts, especially if the cabling is permanent. For large ducts, pre-
made collares are usually used, but these can get expensive.

A cheap and simple barrier that's useful when cables might come and go
is just to use a lid of plasterboard or Viroc Versapanel, according to
the usual fire regs. This can be split around the cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
I'm knocking holes through walls to put wires through,
mains electric and ethernet.
I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?
Is there a better way to do it?
Someone said using metal would cause induction.

How much of a seal do you need?
These no good?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Single-Gang-...te/invt/204733
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Double-Gang-...te/invt/204734

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 14/09/10 16:34, Dave Osborne wrote:
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I'm knocking holes through walls to put wires through,
mains electric and ethernet.
I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?
Is there a better way to do it?
Someone said using metal would cause induction.

[g]

e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56102/

= No Nonsense Fire Rated Expanding Foam

But will it leach the plastic surrounding the electric wires?

Maybe, but it's a problem easily prevented by wrapping polythene around
any PVC cables before applying the foam, or indeed by oversheathing the
cables with heatshrink.

perhaps put them ins maller conduit then foam around them inside the
plastic drainpipe?

You would still need to seal the smaller conduit against smoke.